Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #46
JimReid
Enthusiast
JimReid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It actually showed comcast on the log as the 1st invalid. What I show was the last invalid. I'll try to post the log:
Log:
connect: ('mail.gmx.com', 587)
connect: to ('mail.gmx.com', 587) None
reply: b'220 gmx.net (mrgmx105) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'gmx.net (mrgmx105) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready'
connect: b'gmx.net (mrgmx105) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready'
send: 'ehlo DESKTOP-GB35TG6.hsd1.nj.comcast.net.\r\n'
reply: b'250-gmx.net Hello DESKTOP-GB35TG6.hsd1.nj.comcast.net [73.248.92.145]\r\n'
reply: b'250-8BITMIME\r\n'
reply: b'250-SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: b'250 STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.net Hello DESKTOP-GB35TG6.hsd1.nj.comcast.net [73.248.92.145]\n8BITMIME\nSIZE 69920427\nSTARTTLS'
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n'
reply: b'220 OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'OK'
send: 'ehlo DESKTOP-GB35TG6.hsd1.nj.comcast.net.\r\n'
reply: b'250-gmx.net Hello DESKTOP-GB35TG6.hsd1.nj.comcast.net [73.248.92.145]\r\n'
reply: b'250-8BITMIME\r\n'
reply: b'250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n'
reply: b'250 SIZE 69920427\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.net Hello DESKTOP-GB35TG6.hsd1.nj.comcast.net [73.248.92.145]\n8BITMIME\nAUTH LOGIN PLAIN\nSIZE 69920427'
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: b'535 Authentication credentials invalid\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: b'Authentication credentials invalid'
send: AUTH <censored>
reply: b'334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6\r\n'
reply: retcode (334); Msg: b'UGFzc3dvcmQ6'
send: 'TGVyb3kxOTQ1Lg==\r\n'
reply: b'535 Authentication credentials invalid\r\n'
reply: retcode (535); Msg: b'Authentication credentials invalid'
JimReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That just says the attempt was VIA a comcast network.
Your GMX logon is not correctly configured (can't help with that part, I don't use GMX)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #48
JimReid
Enthusiast

The thing that throws me is it looks like it is sending "ehlo" instead of "Helo" and that would be generated by calibre not the parameters that I entered for GMX. ?????
Old 01-09-2022, 03:44 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimReid View Post
The thing that throws me is it looks like it is sending "ehlo" instead of "Helo" and that would be generated by calibre not the parameters that I entered for GMX. ?????
That is just saying the SMTP service extensions (aka ESMTP) are supported.

As mentioned above, the issue is you are not authenticating to GMX correctly.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-09-2022 at 03:47 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:07 PM   #50
JimReid
Enthusiast

I went to an old version (64bit) and downloaded it. Removed 5.34 version and installed the old one and everything worked. I think there is a bug in the 5.34 version.
Advert
Old 01-09-2022, 09:11 PM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are no changes to emailling in 5.34. And sending via GMX is working fine for me with 5.34. Make sure you are using your full email address as your gmx user name.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:18 PM   #52
JimReid
Enthusiast

Angry Can't get Calibre to send to Kindle

I don't know why this keeps happening. I had to setup Calibre on a new Windows 11 machine and now I can't get it to validate when sending to my kindle and/or android. Same setup thru GMX but it won't validate. Here is the setup:
Send email from: jamesreid
Hostname: Mail.gmx.com Port: 587
Username: @gmx.com
Password: *******
Encryption: TLS

Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
file "site-packages\calibre\gui2]wizard\send_email.py", line 203, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utls\smtp.py", line 154 in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 647, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (535, "Authentication credentials invalid")

Of course there is a lot more but it basically says it won't authenticate. Every time I move Calibre this happens and I've tried several different versions. All the userid's and passwords are correct and cases are correct. Don't know why this keeps happening.

The setup isn't clear:
Send email from: I put in jamesreid without the @gmx.com is that right?
Host name fills in as mail.gmx.com and port at 587 which looks right.
Usernaem: it fills in @gmx.com and not the full user name?
Password: is clear
Encryption is TLS

Also the emails to send to are the same case and correct to Amazon prefered receivers of ebooks.

Don't get it and it's driving me crazy.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In my gmx setup, I use the full email address in both send email from and user name. I think the full user name is the critical item as that is what is used as part of the authentication sequence. The send email from is more of a end user item used when you see the email is from James Reid <jamesreid@gmx.com>
Old 01-20-2022, 05:44 AM   #54
JimReid
Enthusiast

Ok, I finally got it. The problem is GMX has two codes 1: @gmx.us 2: @gmx.com When I filled in send email from I didn't use full name just may name and no @. Then I tried with @gmx.com and finally @gmx.us. It might have been the @gmx.us but I also changes the Username to my full email with @gmx.us and everything worked. I couldn't tell with the error message what wasn't validating but evidently it was the Username not being full email address with @gmx.us . This time I wrote it all down for the next install and maybe i won't have the same problem. Hope it helps someone else also.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:30 PM   #55
Nsomniak6
Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Nsomniak6 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle
GMX

If you are having problems with gmx email, check to see if you have POP3 & IMAP enabled in your GMX settings. Also, as everyone else has said make sure your username in Calibre is your full gmx email address. I had to change my email server from Gmail to gmx because I couldn't get Gmail to work again after having to change my password so I just set up a new gmx email account which didn't seem to work until I enabled the POP3 & IMAP settings in gmx and now it is working fine.
Nsomniak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:18 AM   #56
Bearclaw95
Bearclaw95 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello to all users in this thread!

Unfortunately I have to join you, for I am incurring too in some malfunctioning with the send-to-Kindle funcionality.
As I have never setup a GMX procedure I guess my issue stems from a different source, so I'll copy-and-paste the error message as well. Some text will be in Italian due to my user interface preferences, but it's always "sending through e-mail".
Spoiler:

calibre, version 5.39.1 (win32, embedded-python: True)
Invio del libro tramite email non riuscito: Non riuscita: Invia tramite email As You Were a [MY KINDLE ADDRESS]

Starting job: Invia tramite email As You Were a [MY KINDLE ADDRESS]

Sending failed...

File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 48, in run
File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 137, in sendmail
File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 162, in sendmail
File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 120, in sendmail_direct
File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 111, in get_mx
File "dns\resolver.py", line 1221, in query
File "dns\resolver.py", line 1205, in resolve
File "dns\resolver.py", line 1043, in resolve
File "dns\resolver.py", line 950, in _compute_timeout
dns.exception.Timeout: The DNS operation timed out after 5.001163482666016 seconds

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Waiting 1 seconds before sending, to avoid being marked as spam.
You can control this delay via Preferences->Tweaks

Sending failed...

dns.exception.Timeout: The DNS operation timed out after 5.000051259994507 seconds

Job: "Invia tramite email As You Were a [MY KINDLE ADDRESS]" failed with error:
File "calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 82, in start_work
File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 105, in __call__
dns.exception.Timeout: The DNS operation timed out after 5.000051259994507 seconds

Called with args: ('C:\\Users\\ivanl\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ xttpong9\\ocz023_wcaltmpfmt.mobi', 'As You Were - Henry Kuttner.mobi', '[MY KINDLE ADDRESS]', 'Libro elettronico As You Were', 'Troverete allegato il libro elettronico\n\nAs You Were\n\tdi Henry Kuttner\n\nnel formato MOBI') {'notifications': <queue.Queue object at 0x000001DBCCA77C70>, 'abort': <threading.Event object at 0x000001DBCCA77D60>, 'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x000001DBCCA77E80>}
calibre, version 5.39.1 (win32, embedded-python: True)
Invio del libro tramite email non riuscito: Non riuscita: Invia tramite email As You Were a ivan_lania@kindle.com

Starting job: Invia tramite email As You Were a ivan_lania@kindle.com

Sending failed...

dns.exception.Timeout: The DNS operation timed out after 5.001163482666016 seconds

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Waiting 1 seconds before sending, to avoid being marked as spam.
You can control this delay via Preferences->Tweaks

Sending failed...

Job: "Invia tramite email As You Were a [MY KINDLE ADDRESS]" failed with error:
File "calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 82, in start_work
File "calibre\gui2\email.py", line 105, in __call__

Called with args: ('C:\\Users\\ivanl\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre_ xttpong9\\ocz023_wcaltmpfmt.mobi', 'As You Were - Henry Kuttner.mobi', '[MY KINDLE ADDRESS]', 'Libro elettronico As You Were', 'Troverete allegato il libro elettronico\n\nAs You Were\n\tdi Henry Kuttner\n\nnel formato MOBI') {'notifications': <queue.Queue object at 0x000001DBCCA77C70>, 'abort': <threading.Event object at 0x000001DBCCA77D60>, 'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x000001DBCCA77E80>}

Last edited by theducks; 08-05-2023 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Please Spoiler Log files
Bearclaw95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 06:19 AM   #57
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Read https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...-using-calibre
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:31 AM   #58
JimReid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That just says the attempt was VIA a comcast network.
Your GMX logon is not correctly configured (can't help with that part, I don't use GMX)
The GMX is configured correctly because it was the way it was before when it all worked. Don't know why comcast would be involved other than it is a comcast ISP, so it is sending it via comcast to GMX who then sends it to my Kindle via comcast network.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:37 AM   #59
JimReid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Don't know why the manual would help when I didn't change anything. The only thing that changed was the version of Calibre. I have verified all the configurations with GMX and they are as the were in the past. The options on Calibre for emails books is all the same also. Can't figure out what changed other than Calibre.
Old 08-05-2023, 11:41 AM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimReid View Post
Don't know why the manual would help when I didn't change anything. The only thing that changed was the version of Calibre. I have verified all the configurations with GMX and they are as the were in the past. The options on Calibre for emails books is all the same also. Can't figure out what changed other than Calibre.
Did you consider the possibility that Kovid Goyal was referring to @Bearclaw95 who posted immediately before the reply?