Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2016, 03:49 AM   #1
plutarion
plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.plutarion can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: different
What is the point in updating to higher than 5.6.5 whilst keeping JB?

Hi

I have seen some people with jailbroken Kindles and the updating to a higher firmware than 5.6.5 with keeping the jailbreak.

What is the point in doing so?
Are the firmwares above 5.6.5 much better?
plutarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, just take a look at the list of New Features which Amazon lists in the firmware update press release.

In other words, probably not -- although fw5.7.4.1 apparently can be used with a dongle for TTS. In case you are interested.
All hail the bleeding edge of ereader innovation...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2016, 04:18 AM   #3
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
All hail the bleeding edge of ereader innovation...
Yeah, TTS, like the K3 could, out of the box, without needing a dongle. I like how they removed stuff that the K3 had only to reintroduce the same stuff sloooowly in later, more expensive, models
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutarion View Post
Hi

I have seen some people with jailbroken Kindles and the updating to a higher firmware than 5.6.5 with keeping the jailbreak.

What is the point in doing so?
Are the firmwares above 5.6.5 much better?
There is a new home screen that you may or may not like.

For me, no, not worth it. I keep it on 5.6.5 and never turn on wifi.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
I have observed (without taking any precise measurements, so put this in the FWIW category) that the battery life on my jailbroken KV, leaving WiFi/3G on all the time (I like to sync with my phone, as I switch back and forth all the time), appears to be significantly better on 5.7.4. I can go a week or so now without charging, whereas previously, it seems to me that I was in danger of running out of juice every 2 to 3 days. Did they fix some WiFi sleep issue? Who knows? YMMV.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert