Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
susmoka
Enthusiast
susmoka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
How to Downgrade from 5.6.5, jailbroken Kindle

Ookie, so I've successfully jailbroken my Kindle PW2 with Branch Delay's JB, plus NiLuJe's instructions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1597
now I want to downgrade, but I still get the ERROR 11, ''The update was not successful'' when I try to install an earlier software version. Tried this too: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=12

How do I get around this?
I put the .bin firmware file to the root of the Kindle, then try to restart to update (i.e. downgrade), but it doesn't work. My Kindle is jailbroken now, so is there anything else I need to do to downgrade? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by susmoka; 02-07-2016 at 08:57 AM.
susmoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by susmoka View Post
Ookie, so I've successfully jailbroken my Kindle PW2 with Branch Delay's JB.
now I want to downgrade, but I still get the ERROR 11, ''The update was not successful'' when I try to install an earlier software version.

How do I get around this?
I put the .bin firmware file to the root of the Kindle, then try to restart to update, but it doesn't work. My Kindle is jailbroken now, so is there anything else I need to do to downgrade? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
DO NOT DOWNGRADE TO A FW VERSION EARLIER THAN THE DEVICE WAS INTRODUCED WITH!
Clear?
And be careful about the PW-2, there are 2Gbyte and 4Gbyte models - it makes a difference.

The brief outline (not step-by-step) -
Use KindleTool to unpack the desired Amazon update_*.bin
Bring up Kindle in its 'other' operating system 'diags' (these Kindles are dual-boot systems)
Using ssh or telnet or over serial port - copy the rootfs.img file to /dev/mmcblk0p1
(there is now a special r/w/verify script for the purpose)
Delete the contents of /var/local

Note: you will lose your JB in the 'main' system once the above is done.
So you will have to manually JB the newly installed 'main' system while in the 'diags' system.

You might also want to read the thread about recovering a Kindle using fastboot -
and make sure you have that understood (you will need the serial port hook-up to use it).
OR

Test NiLuJe's factory initial firmware install package for him (do by PM please).
And you had better have ssh/telnet access to 'diags' system and/or serial port when you test it.

Last edited by knc1; 02-07-2016 at 09:07 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
susmoka
Enthusiast
susmoka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
DO NOT DOWNGRADE TO A FW VERSION EARLIER THAN THE DEVICE WAS INTRODUCED WITH!
Clear?
And be careful about the PW-2, there are 2Gbyte and 4Gbyte models - it makes a difference.

The brief outline (not step-by-step) -
Use KindleTool to unpack the desired Amazon update_*.bin
Bring up Kindle in its 'other' operating system 'diags' (these Kindles are dual-boot systems)
Using ssh or telnet or over serial port - copy the rootfs.img file to /dev/mmcblk0p1
Delete the contents of /var/local

OR

Test NiLuJe's factory initial firmware install package for him (do by PM please).
Thanks! Is there a step-by step guide somewhere?
I have the 2GB model, and it came with 5.4.4.2 I think. I'd like to downgrade to 5.4.5.1, so that should be fine, but I'm quite noob so I would really appreciate if there was a more detailed guidance.

Oh actually, I thought it will be easier and I'll be able to do it without a serial port / manual tinkering if I first jailbroke it.

Last edited by susmoka; 02-07-2016 at 09:08 AM.
susmoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You can't downgrade your PW2 the easy way, using older bin file. After jailbreaking & installing rescue pack if you know what you're doing you could overwrite "main" partition and kernel over SSH connection while booted in diagnostics mode.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
kahjuay
kahjuay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle PW32GB
I found a link that provided steps for firmware downgrades, though I have not tried it myself (http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4342257744). Since you are already jailbroken, you can start from step 2 and install the rescue pack extension. Reboot your kindle into the diagnostic mode (step 4), and use the USB Bundle Install option to copy the old firmware from your PC to your kindle root directory. The kindle will reboot back into diagnostic mode, and you need to disable diagnostic (using D-D-Q sequence) to return to normal kindle operations. If you encounter the error message “Device_info.xml not found”, click on the Device Setting option within the diagnostic window before redoing the D-D-Q sequence. A collection of various firmwares can be found in http://kindlefere.com/update if required. Good luck, and hope this helps.
kahjuay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahjuay View Post
I found a link that provided steps for firmware downgrades, though I have not tried it myself (http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4342257744). Since you are already jailbroken, you can start from step 2 and install the rescue pack extension. Reboot your kindle into the diagnostic mode (step 4), and use the USB Bundle Install option to copy the old firmware from your PC to your kindle root directory. The kindle will reboot back into diagnostic mode, and you need to disable diagnostic (using D-D-Q sequence) to return to normal kindle operations. If you encounter the error message “Device_info.xml not found”, click on the Device Setting option within the diagnostic window before redoing the D-D-Q sequence. A collection of various firmwares can be found in http://kindlefere.com/update if required. Good luck, and hope this helps.
Sorry, but that is dead wrong.

Doing it that way will leave you with a mis-match between the main kernel and the main filesystem.
(The kernel's modules are stored on the filesystem, and now the kernel and modules do not match.)

The links at kindlefere.com/update are just re-directs to the Amazon distribution server.
So get your desired package directly from Amazon.
No sense in getting a foreign web-site involved.
How to get a specific, non-current, firmware version from their download server is a FGA.

Follow the directions given by shamanNS in post #4 above.
Step-by-Step?
Same-Same as de-bricking the device (except that you use the Amazon images) -
read the legacy (before Kubrick) de-bricking guides.

Last edited by knc1; 02-11-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
gameshire98
gameshire98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (PW2 90D4)
Doubts in above method

Hello everyone! This is my first post here on MobileRead. This is regarding the above mentioned steps and my doubts in each step FOR PAPERWHITE 2 (PW2). I'm thinking of downgrading because many Kindlets are not working as they should in Firmware 5.6.5
I'm using Windows 8.1(Putty for ssh). I'm new to Linux command line and ssh so please bear with me.
1. Backup
This Kindle Touch Hacking explains backup for other systems. DOUBTS: a)How to backup in Windows? b)How to restore if anything gets screwed up? c) Where do I type the Kindle side of the commands?
2. Image
Extracted 5.4.3.2 update file using KindleTool DOUBTS: a)Which PW2 firmware best? b) Do I need to dd any other file to Kindle other than the rootfs.img.gz file?
3. Kindle in USB Mode
Copy ENABLE_DIAGS(file without extension) and rootfs.img.gz to /mnt/us/
4. Reboot into diag then enable ssh
Once the Kindle has rebooted into diags mode, to enable SSH access: N-U-Z-X.
Computer Windows RNDIS Settings IP 192.168.15.201 (netmask 255.255.255.0)
PUTTY Settings IP=192.168.15.244, USER=root, PASSWORD=mario
5. Use dd commands to copy
Code:
zcat /mnt/us/rootfs.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
DOUBTS: a) What else to copy (kernel and any other file in extract from update bin) b) Are the above dd parameters right for PW2?
6. Delete /var/local/
DOUBT: How do I do this?
7. Reboot to normal mode

Code:
idme -d --bootmode main
reboot
Are all the above steps correct or am I missing something?
gameshire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameshire98 View Post
Hello everyone! This is my first post here on MobileRead. This is regarding the above mentioned steps and my doubts in each step FOR PAPERWHITE 2 (PW2). I'm thinking of downgrading because many Kindlets are not working as they should in Firmware 5.6.5
I'm using Windows 8.1(Putty for ssh). I'm new to Linux command line and ssh so please bear with me.
1. Backup
This Kindle Touch Hacking explains backup for other systems. DOUBTS: a)How to backup in Windows? b)How to restore if anything gets screwed up? c) Where do I type the Kindle side of the commands?
2. Image
Extracted 5.4.3.2 update file using KindleTool DOUBTS: a)Which PW2 firmware best? b) Do I need to dd any other file to Kindle other than the rootfs.img.gz file?
3. Kindle in USB Mode
Copy ENABLE_DIAGS(file without extension) and rootfs.img.gz to /mnt/us/
4. Reboot into diag then enable ssh
Once the Kindle has rebooted into diags mode, to enable SSH access: N-U-Z-X.
Computer Windows RNDIS Settings IP 192.168.15.201 (netmask 255.255.255.0)
PUTTY Settings IP=192.168.15.244, USER=root, PASSWORD=mario
5. Use dd commands to copy
Code:
zcat /mnt/us/rootfs.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096
DOUBTS: a) What else to copy (kernel and any other file in extract from update bin) b) Are the above dd parameters right for PW2?
6. Delete /var/local/
DOUBT: How do I do this?
7. Reboot to normal mode

Code:
idme -d --bootmode main
reboot
Are all the above steps correct or am I missing something?
Describing/Correcting each of the above steps is a bigger job than to write-up the correct procedure.
Hang in there until I have a chance to test and post a known to work solution.

BUT

Most likely, you do not have to downgrade.

What is the first six characters of your device's serial number?
Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Device info

What Kindlets are failing?
What is the result of trying each?
what you observe and any error messages.

Is KUAL still working?

Have you ever pressed: 'Reset (to factory defaults)'?

Last edited by knc1; 02-13-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #9
gameshire98

Basic Kindlets are working: KUAL, MRPI, KTerm(special package for 5.6.5), USBNetwork
Others:
1. In KindleMenu package:
KindleMenu: Some toggles not working, Status bar not working, some shortcuts not working
Kindle Explorer: Working
Galculator: Working
KindleNote, KindleTask, KindleReminder: Working
LeafPad: Working
Skipstone, Gnash, rgbpaint: Working
KOReader, Screensavers hack: Working
Not Working:
KindleGallery: Interface opens but images are not opened
gargoyle: Not opening EDIT: Updated version in author's website WORKS
Frotz: Not opening, even after using KTerm(shows some error related to xterm: "Error opening terminal: xterm")
EboardChess: Not opening EDIT: WORKs after replacing binary file First install from this then replace eboard binary from here in eboard/bin folder
Collections Manager: Not supported message
JBPatch: error, jbpatch not installed

As for reset I had done it once before JB, after JB no factory reset

Last edited by gameshire98; 02-14-2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Updated with links and recent versions
Old 02-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Basic Kindlets are working: KUAL, MRPI, KTerm(special package for 5.6.5), USBNetwork
Others:
1. In KindleMenu package:
KindleMenu: Some toggles not working, Status bar not working, some shortcuts not working
Kindle Explorer: Working
Galculator: Working
KindleNote, KindleTask, KindleReminder: Working
LeafPad: Working
Skipstone, Gnash, rgbpaint: Working
KOReader, Screensavers hack: Working
Not Working:
KindleGallery: Interface opens but images are not opened
gargoyle: Not opening
Frotz: Not opening, even after using KTerm(shows some error related to xterm)
EboardChess: Not opening
Collections Manager: Not supported message
JBPatch: error, jbpatch not installed

As for reset I had done it once before JB, after JB no factory reset
Kindle Menu is a WAF, not a Kindlet.
Known problems, author long gone but left a public repo of the files, your welcome to update them for us (only requires JS and HTML coding).

JBPatch - firmware version specific - hasn't worked in a long time.
Again, code in a public repo - your welcome to update (requires an advanced knowledge of Java and JVM).

Collections Manager: Version specific but recently recieved an update.

gargoyle, Frotz, KTerm, EboardChess - -
recently fixed.

So take each of those at a time, try the most recent post of each, report results and the link you found the add-in at.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
gameshire98

I have checked all add-on pages but only kterm updated OK I'll check again. By that time please answer my original query.....My kindle's first four digits: 90D4
Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have checked all add-on pages but only kterm updated OK I'll check again. By that time please answer my original query.....My kindle's first four digits: 90D4
One of the first PW-2 models -
There should not be any hardware related support problems.

I did:
Quote:
Describing/Correcting each of the above steps is a bigger job than to write-up the correct procedure.
Hang in there until I have a chance to test and post a known to work solution.
Unless you are hiring support, in that case, PM me.