Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
MarianneLombardo
MarianneLombardo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi
Where Are the Children's Ebooks?

OK, so I bought a nice Kobo eBook Reader and it's pretty good. Now I am searching to purchase children's ebooks and can't find anything.

My 10 yr old grandaughter is having trouble reading but she thinks my eReader is pretty terrific (what can I say, it's something new and it's electronic). So I am on the hunt for some really good ebooks to interest her, and if it works then I will buy her an eReader of her own.

However, all I can find is some Junie B. Jones books (she's already read all of them in paper format - she has them all).

What is with the publishers? Don't they see that there is a potentially huge market out there for kid's ebooks? Especially if someone would make some eReaders that have better colours, etc. to attract the youngsters. Maybe reader that looks cool (not for the really young ones) and has a feature that if a kid can't read a word they could press a button and the Reader would say the word out loud.

Examples of the types of books are Pony-Crazed Princess, The Paper Bag Princess, etc. and also ones for boys.

Marianne
MarianneLombardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I think kids would love them, too, but I'm guessing many people still find them a bit too expensive for young kids (perhaps afraid they'll be too easily left outside or broken, etc?)
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I know that there is a lot of children's books available on the Kindle. Amazon has Junie B Jones for the Kindle, Box Car Children (great series for learning to read), Magic Treehouse Books, etc. This doesn't specifically help you since you have a Kobo but the ebooks are out there (just not in a format you can easily use.)
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Some of the Leapfrog toys/devices have an ereader-like function for the younger kids. But you can only read their books (at least on the ones I've seen).
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
you can download the Anne of Green Gables series and the Little House series here at MobileRead for free.

The Sony Reader store has a children's fiction section that you might want to browse through.

I've seen the old Cherry Ames Nurse series available but they were pretty expensive IIRC. Like $10 each. I've also seen many of the Newberry Award books in eBook I think, Island of the Blue Dolphins, A Wrinkle in Time etc.

oh - the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler is available in eBook, I own it.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
What about the Once Upon a Time series? These are retellings of fairy tales by various authors, including Suzanne Weyn, Cameron Dokey, Debbie Viguie, and Patricia Wrede. Or the Echo Falls mystery series by Peter Abrahams (Down the Rabbit Hole, Into the Dark, and Behind the Curtain, which reference Alice in Wonderland, Hansel and Gretel, and Wizard of Oz).

Also, you can get tons of classic children's books here in the MobileRead Library and at Project Gutenberg.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I know that there is a lot of children's books available on the Kindle. Amazon has Junie B Jones for the Kindle, Box Car Children (great series for learning to read), Magic Treehouse Books, etc. This doesn't specifically help you since you have a Kobo but the ebooks are out there (just not in a format you can easily use.)
I just checked Kobobooks, and both of these series are available there. There's a set of 12 Boxcar Children books, in fact, for $28.99, and it's non-Agency so a coupon could be used for it, too.

Last edited by Catlady; 02-07-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Babysitter Club
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I believe that this site is legal. It contains lots of children's books, mostly in txt.

Link deleted

Moderator Notice
Most definitely NOT legal!

Last edited by HarryT; 02-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Toronto Public Library just got hundreds of kids books. Their epub new releases area has been absolutely flooded over the past week or two. I am talking 20+ pages of search results; a ton of books!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I bet your granddaughter would love a nookcolor and BN has an excellent kids ebooks section

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/chil...ted/379002530/
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I bet your granddaughter would love a nookcolor and BN has an excellent kids ebooks section

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/chil...ted/379002530/
A friend of mine bought his daughter, who is in the 3rd grade, a Nook for Christmas - she loves it. I'll pass along the link!
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianneLombardo View Post
OK, so I bought a nice Kobo eBook Reader and it's pretty good. Now I am searching to purchase children's ebooks and can't find anything.
First off, welcome to the group. Hope you like it here.

As to kids books, have you considered the classics like Heidi, Black Beauty, Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, etc? There are lots of great titles and best of all, these books are totally free to download.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
kfran
Karen
kfran began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'd also recommend anything by Rick Riordan, like the Percy Jackson series or the Kane Chronicles. Oh, and Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Both of these are boy book series, but I know some girls who love them too.
kfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
One of my favorite children's books from when I was a kid (The Phantom Tollbooth) just showed up on CLEVNET as an ePub eBook.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote