Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-15-2015, 02:31 AM   #1
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
Bright spot on Nook STwG screen

I turned my beloved Nook on the other night to discover a small, but extremely annoying bright spot right in the middle of the screen. Its only visible with the Glowlight on, but I use the light all the time.
I have heard these happen sometimes and always hoped it wouldnt happen to mine. I bought the Nook back in Nov 2012 so its well out of warranty.
Is there any way of fixing this? Can I buy and replace the screen myself? I suspect not, but figure its always worth asking.
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:44 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter One View Post
I have heard these happen sometimes and always hoped it wouldnt happen to mine.
Bummer that it happened. As you probably know, the Simple Touch with Glow being the first front lit reader is particularly more fragile when it comes to the light guide layer being damaged than newer devices.

Here is a teardown of the device...
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nook...+Teardown/9301

In theory you could do it if you can find a screen. Screens sometimes pop up on places like eBay, Alibaba and AliExpress. Is it worth fixing vs buying a working used unit from eBay, Amazon, Craigs List, a pawn shop, etc? Sometimes older readers can be found for a pretty good price used vs the cost of buying & shipping a screen and then hoping it works once installed.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-15-2015 at 02:46 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert