Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #46
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are many dictionaries available for the Kindle? At the current time, Mobi sell 202 different dictionaries which can be used on any MobiPocket device.
I did a search on "english dictionary", and got a result of 177 kindle editions. I do not know which will work as a dictionary for the Kindle. The two I bought that I would like to use are not recognized by the Kindle as dictionaries.

I am currently waiting on a reply to an email about this.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #47
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A search for "dictionary" > reference get 296 entries in the Kindle store.

The Kindle comes with the New Oxford American Dictionary, which is $60 from mobipocket.com. I don't suppose Amazon pays $60, but this is a large full-featured dictionary.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #48
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are many dictionaries available for the Kindle? At the current time, Mobi sell 202 different dictionaries which can be used on any MobiPocket device.
According to Amazon, there are no dictionaries available for the Kindle.

Quote:
Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about the default dictionary on your
Kindle. Kindle comes with "The New Oxford American Dictionary"
already in the library, which is your default dictionary.

You may purchase other dictionaries from the Kindle Store for
general use and reference; however, they will not be compatible for
use as the default dictionary for the Look Up and Search functions
on your Kindle. We will be adding alternative dictionaries
compatible with these features to the Kindle Store in the near
future.

I hope you found this information useful. Our goal is to help you
get the most out of your Kindle experience. If you need further
assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Thank you for choosing Kindle.
I'm going to look at the ones in LIT, and maybe move one over.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #49
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
According to Amazon, there are no dictionaries available for the Kindle.

I'm going to look at the ones in LIT, and maybe move one over.
There is a public one already available in MobiFormat posted on the site. It is a 1913 edition I believe but if they have done something in the Kindle to disable the standard dictionary function of the dictionaries they sell then it is unlikely to work. It looks like you may have to wait until they enable it. Perhaps it is because of the way they search for content in the dictionary or some other subtle difference in the way a dictionary gets used. they clearly intend to support this. Maybe it is just a bug.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #50
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There is a public one already available in MobiFormat posted on the site. It is a 1913 edition I believe but if they have done something in the Kindle to disable the standard dictionary function of the dictionaries they sell then it is unlikely to work. It looks like you may have to wait until they enable it. Perhaps it is because of the way they search for content in the dictionary or some other subtle difference in the way a dictionary gets used. they clearly intend to support this. Maybe it is just a bug.

Dale
No, I made a dictionary with Mobipocket Creator as a test. It worked fine on the Kindle.
Advert
Old 12-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I made a dictionary with Mobipocket Creator as a test. It worked fine on the Kindle.
So customer support lied. If one will work then they are all likely to work.

Dale
Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #52
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
So customer support lied. If one will work then they are all likely to work.

Dale
Not exactly. The dictionaries they currently sell lack the metadata that identify them as dictionaries. I know this because I bought a couple.

It's a really stupid mistake on their part.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:37 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's good news to hear that additional dictionaries will be available in the future. The New Oxford American Dictionary is indeed a very good one, but it's nice to have the choice of others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #54
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
I like the aesthetics of the sony over the kindle as well, but amazon's store is vast. I can get more Robert Silverberg books than I would ever see in print form. That and sticky-notes, wikipedia, and dictionary features assist the reading experience.

Lets face it, books are hard to improve upon. These ebook readers will have to do something they are good at (like a built-in dictionary). In this respect, the kindle is a clear level above the existing play field with the Iliad (pen interaction) in second (IMHO).

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Not exactly. The dictionaries they currently sell lack the metadata that identify them as dictionaries. I know this because I bought a couple.

It's a really stupid mistake on their part.
I would hope that they will replace them for free. Keep us posted.

Dale
Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #56
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I went back to the big box bookstore to look at the Sony 505. It is sleek and minimalist and easy on the eyes but I strongly dislike how it feels in my hands. Metal is cold and slippery. The Kindle feels good in my hands.

I own many Sony products and *if* I'd already owned a 505 I probably would not have bought a Kindle. I just wish I could have justified buying the Irex but I couldn't justify *another* $300.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #57
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:

Dale
I tried that 1913 edition on my Kindle and it worked fine, so we can switch out dictionaries. Yay!
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's the Gutenberg version of Webster's I believe, isn't it? It's certainly comprehensive, but an awful lot of words have appeared in the language since 1913 .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #59
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
That's the Gutenberg version of Webster's I believe, isn't it? It's certainly comprehensive, but an awful lot of words have appeared in the language since 1913 .
You are correct. I used for a day or so, but found out that the default Kindle dictionary was catching way more words so I went back to it.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #60
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

I strongly suggest for anyone considering an ereader to buy the Kindle. I own both the Sony PRS-505 and the Kindle and really there is no comparison. The Amazon "service" makes the Kindle superior to the Sony Reader in many ways, hands down.

I'm afraid the Sony product will now die a slow death like their MP3 players. Now that the profit margins are gone with the Connect store, I expect it will be shuttered in less than a year and Sony will move onto the next great "high-margin" gadget (that is the Sony way).

Get the Kindle or regret it! It's a no-brainer really.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote