Notices

Old 06-03-2023, 02:45 PM   #16
mikhail_fil
Enthusiast
mikhail_fil began at the beginning.

Device: PC / ipad air
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
One of the participants in the thread I referenced in post #6 poses the following question:

I get the impression you didn't even look at the thread. Rather than arguing with those who say something can't/shouldn't be done, you could try engaging with someone who's already done it.

BR
The irony. I have not made even one argument with anyone here, so it appears that you didn't really look through this thread as you would have noticed that I only made the initial question.

I did go to that thread, and may have missed that point. I am completely new to this "forum" format, and just learning how everything works here.

I appreciate you pointing out that someone made that plugin, and I will go there now.

Just because my question elicited an argumentative response, this doesn't mean that this was my intent.
mikhail_fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail_fil View Post
The irony. I have not made even one argument with anyone here, so it appears that you didn't really look through this thread as you would have noticed that I only made the initial question.

I did go to that thread, and may have missed that point. I am completely new to this "forum" format, and just learning how everything works here.

I appreciate you pointing out that someone made that plugin, and I will go there now.

Just because my question elicited an argumentative response, this doesn't mean that this was my intent.
I didn't think, even for a moment, that argument was your intent, if I had I wouldn't have posted a reply. Look for the recent replies in the plugin ideas thread from member "Bradles".

Added: I see you found it

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-04-2023 at 02:29 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 03:23 PM   #18
mikhail_fil
Enthusiast
mikhail_fil began at the beginning.

Device: PC / ipad air
Came back to agree that all who said it was a crazy idea were right - ChatGpt bulshits so much, it's scary. If you don't know the topic, you won't be able to decipher the lies either.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
mikhail_fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 04:23 PM   #19
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail_fil View Post
Came back to agree that all who said it was a crazy idea were right - ChatGpt bulshits so much, it's scary. If you don't know the topic, you won't be able to decipher the lies either.
I find it really good that you tried it out, drew your conclusions and shared them with us. Thank you!
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 04:30 PM   #20
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Quite apart from the dead-end nature of the current approach to AI, this isn't feasible even if the AIs were actually intelligent since they can only be prompted with very limited amounts of text at the moment. Maybe that will change in the future, but currently as far as I know there is no way to ask the AI a question involving thousands of pages of text.
Even local language models can't be prompted with large texts, I found recently, to my dismay. That's the key point, as Kovid pointed out.

As for AI hallucinating, in my experience with small texts, I find it does quite a good job
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:13 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
AI doesn't hallucinate. It fails.
It doesn't learn. It's fed data, either files or via web links, by parasite owners.
It produces plausible junk because it has no concept of fact or fiction, because that's too much work for the human owners. There is no understanding.

All the terms are chosen to misdirect.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-01-2023 at 05:15 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 06:40 AM   #22
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I hear Bard now has a fact-checking button:
https://wondertools.substack.com/p/5...to-use-bard-ai

But I use mostly OpenAI's ChatGPT.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:06 AM   #23
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
AI doesn't hallucinate.
um.. I've just witnessed an example of AI hallucinating..

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2023-10-01, 08_57_34.png
Views:	70
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	204031
Old 10-01-2023, 08:09 AM   #24
Comfy.n

...and:

Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2023-10-01, 08_42_34.png
Views:	59
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	204032
Old 10-01-2023, 09:48 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It a failure of the software. It's a program + database that's incapable of thought or hallucination. That's a marketing term to excuse that it's an over hyped system created by a parasitical corporation.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:47 AM   #26
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It a failure of the software. It's a program + database that's incapable of thought or hallucination. That's a marketing term to excuse that it's an over hyped system created by a parasitical corporation.
Don't be coy. Tell how you really feel about AI.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:15 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Don't be coy. Tell how you really feel about AI.
https://futurism.com/critics-microso...ain-ai-drought

Edit:
Then there is the electricity.

After the "training" the queries (end user) also use a lot of cooling water and electricity.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-01-2023 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Electric!
Old 10-02-2023, 10:24 AM   #28
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
So you want to feed AI more copyrighted work for the AI to enhance its own data repository from which it can create even more copyright-violating derivative works? I'd rather not put Calibre in the spotlight of authors and publishers who are finally beginning to challenge AI that uses their works without consent and without royalties.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
analysis, chatgpt, metadata, research, summaries