Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
selmerry
selmerry began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD 3 (632)
Font pack

Hi. I'm looking for a font pack for an eink reader (ttf/otf). The one from Google fonts is huge. Was wondering if there's a pack lying around on this forum. Thanks
selmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not that I'm aware of, I'm afraid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I saw one over in the Kobo forum a couple of months ago, you might try asking there. (I mean the Kobo forum on mobileread.)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:20 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
I use the font from jswolf. You kan find it here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

I also use the font in my iPad reader apps because they are quite heavy. This is not so important (for me) in my Kindles, because here you can adjust the boldness.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Digital reader blog has a couple of articles with attached font packs:

https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/...e-ink-screens/

https://the-digital-reader.com/2016/...kobo-ereaders/

https://the-digital-reader.com/2019/...ur-next-ebook/
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by selmerry View Post
Hi. I'm looking for a font pack for an eink reader (ttf/otf). The one from Google fonts is huge.
When I feel like trying a new font I go to the google fonts site and look at the fonts there. You can sort and filter them by families, popularity, downloads, number of styles (you want at least 4, so you have bold and italics for your font).

I find desired fonts there and then download those few that I want to try out on my reader.

Click on plus sign to add font to your download collection and when you finish then just click on "Family selected" on the bottom of the screen and click on the download icon. It will try to persuade you not to download, but you do not want to use them on a web page but on the reader, do download them anyway. Done.

What huge font pack are you talking about?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

What huge font pack are you talking about?
He might be referring to the NOTO family.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noto_fonts

It covers the entire unicode character set so the individual fonts are pretty big.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

It covers the entire unicode character set so the individual fonts are pretty big.
Yeah, but you can download the much smaller Noto serif font pack (19.5MB): https://www.google.com/get/noto/#serif-lgc
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Not that large other than the CJK fonts. Even there comparing them to some of the MS fonts, they aren't overly large. Some of the smaller fonts with less than 100 glyphs are downright tiny. For the Latin/Greek/Cyrillic variant, I would have preferred that they were not derived from Droid--it's not on my favourite fonts list.

When I did some testing with an eInk screen, I found myself using the ExtraBold, ExtraBoldItalic, MediumItalic and Medium variants for both the serif and sans serif variants.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-18-2019 at 07:19 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:09 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Interesting. In all the years I've been using ebooks, I've never been concerned about the font that the book is displayed in. I tend to select whichever one of the device's fonts appeals (eg I use Bookerly on the Kindle) and stick with it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Interesting. In all the years I've been using ebooks, I've never been concerned about the font that the book is displayed in. I tend to select whichever one of the device's fonts appeals (eg I use Bookerly on the Kindle) and stick with it.
It is mostly aesthetics and personal preference (some people prefer serif fonts, others sans serif) but not totally. Font design affects readability and contrast a bit. Some fonts look darker than others and some look fuzzier. It's not all about the display.

Also, some fonts look better on eink than on LCD.
A classic case is Georgia which looks nice and dark on eink, especially the non-backlit models, but not that great on tablets.

And then there's the specialty fonts like OpenDyslexic or the black fonts that help people with vision problems or reading issues. Font choice is a selling point for both ebooks and ereaders. It's enough of an issue that Amazon had to add the option of installing you own font after all these years. Probably the last major player to offer this feature which many ereaders and apps had a decade ago.

https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...our-own-fonts/
Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
It is mostly aesthetics and personal preference (some people prefer serif fonts, others sans serif) but not totally. Font design affects readability

Indeed. I bought a copy of Jungle Book in Hindi from the Kobo store, but it wouldn't display at all on my Kobo until I sideloaded a new font. I still need to find one that lets it show all the characters properly too, reading it is a chore at present, with misplaced and missing vowels among several other display errors
Old 02-19-2019, 07:59 AM   #13
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I always prefer the large fonts, for larger fonts comprise more glyphs (characters).
Subsetting would reduce the size of the font to the minimum.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Indeed. I bought a copy of Jungle Book in Hindi from the Kobo store, but it wouldn't display at all on my Kobo until I sideloaded a new font. I still need to find one that lets it show all the characters properly too, reading it is a chore at present, with misplaced and missing vowels among several other display errors
Have you checked Noto? Covering missing glyphs is its aim, after all: https://www.google.com/get/noto/
Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I mostly wasn't too concerned about fonts myself. I tend to move between Georgia and Noto Serif. But lately I've noticed that when I'm tired or reading in a dimly lit room, Bookerly is clearer and easier for me to read.