Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
chuck_child
chuck_child began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Model EY21
AZW3 Filename

Im using Calibre 1.40, 64 bit, and a Kindle Paperwhite. I have re-installed, and uninstalled and then re-installed. I have even tries the 32 bit version of Calibre. The problem persists.

When I connect to my device, any file in .mobi is handled just fine. However, any files in .AZW3 format, it doesn't seem to be able to get any of the data on. For example:
I:\documents\The Jungle Book_B0084B1T8Y.AZW3 . The title is listed as 'The Jungle Book B0084B1T8Y', the author is unknown. When I press V to open it, I can see the cover image, and can read the book fine.

Is there something I can do to get Calibre to correctly register these .AZW3 files?
chuck_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Reinstalling only refreshes the program binaries -- all settings remain untouched in
Code:
%APPDATA%\calibre\
Try renaming that folder to calibre.backup, to reset everything. Do not delete it, you may want to restore the folder if it turns out that wasn't the problem.

If you open the AZW3 (via the file browser on Drive I: ) in the calibre viewer, does it show the title correctly in the titlebar?

Or reimport the books-on-device into a test library, and see if the metadata gets determined correctly.

If the AZW3 has the correct metadata in it, there is something wrong with your Kindle.

I cannot think why calibre would delete all metadata in the book. If the metadata is missing... I don't know.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
DRM on the AZW3 format files maybe?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
DRM on the AZW3 format files maybe?
Ummm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_child View Post
When I connect to my device, any file in .mobi is handled just fine. However, any files in .AZW3 format, it doesn't seem to be able to get any of the data on. For example:
I:\documents\The Jungle Book_B0084B1T8Y.AZW3 . The title is listed as 'The Jungle Book B0084B1T8Y', the author is unknown. When I press V to open it, I can see the cover image, and can read the book fine.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
chuck_child
chuck_child began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Model EY21
There are definitely some of these files with DRM, but I worked through until I found one I had downloaded from Amazon directly, but was public domain, and opened correctly, before I submitted an issue. I knew DRM was a potential cause, and wanted to eliminate it from consideration.

As for the Calibre viewer - When I open these books, the title appears correctly, and all metadata is available:

Title: The Jungle Book
Authors: Rudyard Kipling
Author Sort: Kipling, Rudyard
Published: May 2012
Tags: Animals -- Fiction, Children's stories, English, India -- Fiction, Jungle animals -- Fiction, Jungles -- Fiction, Mowgli (Fictitious character) -- Fiction
Languages: English

I will begin on those steps - The folder renamed, and test library work. Thank you both.
chuck_child is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
azw3, calibre 64-bit, kindle paperwhite