Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-13-2023, 03:36 PM   #1
Siginet
Siginet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The colon is replaced by the underscore

Hello,

when I convert ebooks to epub format, the colon contained in some filenames, are converted to underscores.

Instead of the underscore, I would prefer the en dash or another type of symbol.

Is it possible to do this?

Best regards
Siginet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Colon is a reserved character eg C:
That is why
and no, that is not an option unless you modify the code (every update)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2023, 05:22 PM   #3
Siginet

I had imagined that it was not possible to do it...
Thanks all the same
Old 02-13-2023, 05:54 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The en dash– and em dash— are risky as they require suitable Unicode and not everyone knows to type them.
The regular dash-hyphen is less safe than the underscore_

As theducks explained some OS can't have colon: in filenames. The period. can cause issues too, depending where it is.

The file names have to work on any file-system and on any OS. The real title is in the metadata.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-13-2023 at 05:57 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:27 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Years ago, I managed to accidentally create a file with a colon in its filename in Windows. I tried everything I could think of to either rename or delete it before sighing and burning a Linux Live CD.

That said, specific to save-to-disk or send-to-device paths, you can try {title:re(:,-)}.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-13-2023 at 06:34 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2023, 06:36 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The culprit is NTFS, where a colon (':') in a file/folder name designates that what follows is the name of an alternate data stream. There are tools to seek and destroy them.

Nearly forgot, before I discovered calibre I used them to store metadata, that's how come I know about them.

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-13-2023 at 06:40 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 06:54 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Nearly forgot, before I discovered calibre I used them to store metadata, that's how come I know about them.
In my case. a colon in the metadata of a PDF file and a long-forgotten renaming program that didn't take illegal characters into account.

I'd been somewhat resistant to using Calibre but then switched to it shortly after that incident.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-13-2023 at 08:48 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:35 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Back in 1999 I was dual booting RH Linux and NT4.0 so all of the user files for Linux were on NTFS. Back then Linux used Ext2, which was somewhat more fragile than NTFS as used by NT 3.5x or NT4.0. There have been a number of versions of NTFS and even as early as NT 4.0 SP6, earlier NT 3.5x couldn't read later NTFS. I also had an Ext2 feature on Win XP to read Linux partitions. Creating later unreadable files was too easy!

ExFat allows bigger SD cards, but not fancier filenames than on Win9x.
I think MS broke Windows NT by having win9x developers work on it. It's been going downhill since NT3.5.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-13-2023 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:20 PM   #9
Siginet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That said, specific to save-to-disk or send-to-device paths, you can try {title:re(:,-)}.
Thanks for the tip!
I'll try as soon as I get a filename with a colon...
Old 02-14-2023, 06:10 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

DOS had
CON: — console (input and output)
AUX: — an auxiliary device. In CP/M 1 and 2, PIP used PUN: (paper tape punch) and RDR: (paper tape reader) instead of AUX:
LST: — list output device, usually the printer
PRN: — as LST:, but lines were numbered, tabs expanded and form feeds added every 60 lines
NUL: — null device, akin to /dev/null
EOF: — input device that produced end-of-file characters, ASCII 0x1A
INP: — custom input device, by default the same as EOF:
OUT: — custom output device, by default the same as NUL:

DOS was a copy of CP/M-86

So certainly some of those existed on DOS and caused problems on Win9x (it was really a sort of shell on DOS 7), so with NT 4.0 to Windows 10, you probably can't create folders (directories) with those names.

I just tried on my Win10 VM these: CON, PRN, AUX for folder names and got invalid device error, and name reverted to "New folder"

I suspect on Windows that con.txt is also invalid.
DOS and Non-NT Windows had COM1: to COM4:, NT has 256 Com ports (Win2K, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, win10 & Win11 are NT 5.x and later). Also LPT1 to LPT3, don't know how many NT has.
So not just A: to Z: is illegal in folder or file names on Windows.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-14-2023 at 06:19 PM.