Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #31
Jesse83
Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.Jesse83 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can prevent any data mining or other analytics of your device usage without blocking registration.

You can prevent having updates forced on you without blocking registration.

If the device has been reported stolen to Amazon, Amazon has already blocked the device registration.
so I don't understand what does people get out of not registering

what is it that is being data mined etc, and how do you block it & how do you block updates ?
Jesse83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #32
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse83 View Post

what is it that is being data mined etc, and how do you block it & how do you block updates ?
Not all countries offer kindles, so people with the hardware in an unsupported country cannot register. Also some people have got blacklisted kindles, so cannot register them.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse83 View Post

Concerning what is data mined: every single time a Paperwhite is connected via Wifi, the first thing that Amazon requests is "send me all your log files". (Well, at least that's what's happening on mine, and no, I'm not kidding.) The log files are pretty much as personal as it can get, because they contain a ridiculous amount of information about what you're doing, when you're doing it, what you're reading etc. They could just as well ask you about the color of your underwear.

Concerning how to block it: you could block communications with Amazon altogether via iptables. You could delete (or rename) the relevant program files responsible for the most privacy-invading parts (e.g. showlog), or for ota updates (ota(?)), etc.

But of course, if you have the official "fuck you" edition of the Paperwhite (a.k.a. 5.3.0), then you can do nothing at all about it. Except for keeping it in airplane mode (and even in AIRPLANE mode, my PW mysteriously keeps setting itself to the correct time, even if I keep setting it to something wrong - so it must still be communicating with something, so that doesn't seem a 100% working advice).

Ah well, yeah, you could deregister it, but I'm not entirely sure about that. It will still be phoning home, but I don't know how much personal info it will send.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Also some people have got blacklisted kindles, so cannot register them.
If it is blacklisted by Amazon, it was probably reported as stolen.
We can't (and will not) do much about making it un-stolen.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #35
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Never said we would. Just saying that is one potential reason why a person would be interested in a registration fake out
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
ghudod
Connoisseur
ghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toysghudod shares his or her toys

Device: none
Registration hacks

Not to revive an old thread, But there are legitimate, honest reasons to modify a Kindle in such a fashion.

Used Kindles are showing up in pawn shops, police auctions, salvage resale lots from wholesalers and other non-retail origins. These devices may or may not be blacklisted, but one thing is clear- Amazon wants nothing to do with them when they've been reported as lost or stolen. I deal with pallettes full of customer returned/salvage/used IT equipment and multiple times, I have contacted Amazon directly to perhaps reunite a blacklisted Kindle with its rightful owner. Amazon a) will not accept devices back and b) will not release any information about previous owners.

The advice given to me repeatedly was to return it to where it was purchased for a refund if possible. If not possible, it could be used as a web browser or an eReader for free content... their advice, not mine.

As far as the idea that thieves are rampantly jailbreaking, SSHing into and modifying blacklisted Kindles to resell... I've not heard or seen any evidence online to support this, and it's a lot of effort to go through for very little gain. Sure, you have the Craigslist buyers that fail to see if a blank, unmodified device can be registered before they hand their $100 to some guy in a parking lot, but that has nothing to do with system modification and more with Caveat Emptor.

In short, not everyone that ends up with a blacklisted Kindle has nefarious intentions... and thank you guys for providing this information to turn a Paperweight into a semi-functional Paperwhite.
ghudod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #37
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Indeed this is true.

It's not those apples we worry about
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_198.png
Views:	709
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	103219  
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #38
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudod View Post
In short, not everyone that ends up with a blacklisted Kindle has nefarious intentions... and thank you guys for providing this information to turn a Paperweight into a semi-functional Paperwhite.
BIG NOTE:
This thread was started long before the days of the KUAL.Firewall with the BBB filter.

The reader can replace all of the firewall changes in the thread's lead post with the installation of the KUAL.Firewall/BBB filter set of buttons.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:04 AM   #39
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
why do we have to stop the kindle from phoning home to amazon, if we make the reginfo file immutable? once we do that, isn't that the end of it?
but nice guide, thanks
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #40
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
why do we have to stop the kindle from phoning home to amazon, if we make the reginfo file immutable? once we do that, isn't that the end of it?
but nice guide, thanks
Isn't that the end of what?

The end-user may have more and/or different privacy requirements than can be met by making the reginfo file immutable.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:16 AM   #41
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Isn't that the end of what?

The end-user may have more and/or different privacy requirements than can be met by making the reginfo file immutable.
i meant the end of 'having to worry about the device de-'fake registering'.

Quote:
Unlike previous versions Amazon will remotely unregister your Kindle whenever it phones home, which happens periodically and whenever you connect to Wi-Fi. To prevent this I've added iptables rules that run as soon as an interface is brought up.
from this, and because after making the file immutable, we are told how to block the kindle form phoning home, i thought that maybe making the reginfo file immutable is not enough. as in, even though it is read only, that, upon phoning phone, you will need to carry out the process again because it would get 'deregistered'.

but the way you reply makes it seem making the reginfo file immutable IS enough, so good, that makes sense to me thanks

if you are saying the blocking phoning home part is simply because people don't want it to phone home, then sure, i understand that, just i thought that would be in a different thread, not one titled 'fake register'.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
if you are saying the blocking phoning home part is simply because people don't want it to phone home, then sure, i understand that, just i thought that would be in a different thread, not one titled 'fake register'.
It is in a different thread, it is only referenced here.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #43
qunjen
qunjen began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
Damn, has someone already done this? I could've saved some time
yeah??? how??
qunjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by qunjen View Post
yeah??? how??
By re-using the blocking tables that had already been found and implemented as a KUAL button set. [*]

The "fake registration file" described as part of this thread is still required to un-block some of the Amazon features.

- - - - -
[*] PS: My method of finding them requires special networking hardware.
I haven't set that up to monitor recent Kindle models and firmwares for a long time.

So if someone discovers their "registration file" disappearing on them, the procedure to find the new IP to be blocked described in the first post should be used.
That procedure only requires the Kindle and a fair amount of technical knowledge.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #45
kadahowa
kadahowa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 1
that it great tutorial thanks a lot, he save my kindle, working for me perfectly.
just a question, the amazon store is empty is normal ?

Thanks a lot Panopticon for this work.
kadahowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, fake registration, hacks, paperwhite, registration