Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
PianoAl
PianoAl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
No Cover After Conversion to MOBI

I know this has been discussed many times, but all the solutions I've found have failed.

I change the cover size to 277 x 418 (I know, weird)
I convert the ePub to MOBI.
The personal doc tag is set to [PDOC]
I've enabled sharing
MOBI file type is set to Both
I use SendToKindle, since I prefer to do things wirelessly.

Is there a solution to this?
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Not with that combination of features. If you use the old-style MOBI you will have covers, but lose the boldness slider. You can sideload via USB as an ebook, and lose wi-if sync, but have cover and boldness. Tradeoffs.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
PianoAl
PianoAl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Right, thanks. The bolding is my highest priority, and you've solved that for me. I guess if I really want the cover, I'll sideload.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Convert to KF8 and side load. Emailing is a rather bad idea. It doesn't work properly.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
vigrom
Enthusiast
vigrom doesn't littervigrom doesn't littervigrom doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis, Tolino epos 3, iMac 2021/24"/M1, iMac 2011/El Capitan
I too convert the ePub to MOBI using the doc tag set to [PDOC] with MOBI file type set to Both and then send converted books either a) via USB, b) via Email or c) via ‚Send to Kindle‘ (mine is Kindle Oasis 2nd gen., 2017) and - as far as covers are concerned - with very inconsistent and unpredictable results: some books arrive at my Kindle with and some without covers (mostly without, say, 9:1).

So far, I have not been able to find out what differs the books that arrive with covers from those which lose theirs … while being converted? or while being sent? or upon their arrival? I am clueless…

Anyone?

Many thanks!

Last edited by vigrom; 02-09-2018 at 11:46 AM.
vigrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigrom View Post
some books arrive at my Kindle with and some without covers (mostly without, say, 9:1).
Getting cover thumbnails to appear consistently in grid view for books not purchased and delivered by Amazon is the subject of several threads on MobileRead. There is no simple answer. It depends on format, transfer method, Kindle device type, firmware version, (and possibly phase of the moon.)

(Edit: Removed suggested work-arounds to avoid dealing with all of the exceptions. It’s complicated.)

Last edited by jhowell; 02-09-2018 at 06:14 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #7
vigrom
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply, jhowell!

Hmmm... The phase of the moon... and the Nikkei index as well. That's how it lookes to me, too.

I will certainly try the combination you have suggested - AZW3 + EBOK + sideloading via Calibre - in the hope it will produce more consistent results.

The big enigma remains though - I convert my EPUBs using the same and unchanging settings in Calibre and still some books arrive with a cover while others lose theirs somehow somewhere. A mystery to me...

Many thanks again!
Old 02-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, jhowell!

Hmmm... The phase of the moon... and the Nikkei index as well. That's how it lookes to me, too.

I will certainly try the combination you have suggested - AZW3 + EBOK + sideloading via Calibre - in the hope it will produce more consistent results.

The big enigma remains though - I convert my EPUBs using the same and unchanging settings in Calibre and still some books arrive with a cover while others lose theirs somehow somewhere. A mystery to me...

Many thanks again!
Forget EBOK and Mobi both. You don't need to deal with either. Just convert to AZW3 and side load that using Calibre. Calibre will handle getting it on the Kindle with a cover image.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
vigrom
Enthusiast

Wonderful! It worked indeed! All covers are there now - thank you so much for the tip, JSWolf! (On the side: all font tweaking tools like boldness, etc. are also there.)

While we’re at it… When converting EPUBs to AZW3 in the section Page setup —> Output profile —-> I chose „Kindle Voyage“ (for its big screen size) since Oasis is not on the list. Is this OK or should I rather choose some other Output profile to suite my Oasis 2 best?

Thank you very much again!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Wonderful! It worked indeed! All covers are there now - thank you so much for the tip, JSWolf! (On the side: all font tweaking tools like boldness, etc. are also there.)

While we’re at it… When converting EPUBs to AZW3 in the section Page setup —> Output profile —-> I chose „Kindle Voyage“ (for its big screen size) since Oasis is not on the list. Is this OK or should I rather choose some other Output profile to suite my Oasis 2 best?

Thank you very much again!
For all conversions, you should select Tablet. Tablet will not touch the graphics.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
vigrom
Enthusiast

I see... So Tablet it is. Go figure...

Thank you!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Your welcome.