Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 AM   #31
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yes you can always revert - you do however need to do a restore on your iPhone (as long as your data is backed up it doesn't matter).

For me the disadvantage was that my phone ran slower and crashed a lot. This however, was likely because I had bloated it with so many resource hogs (wallpaper, widgets etc).
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 AM   #32
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
I'm a real n00b to this stuff. What does jailbreaking an iphone mean?!
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 AM   #33
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Basically it unlocks your phone and allows you to run unsigned code.

When you jailbreak, you will get a new application called Cydia - this is almost the hub of everything. This allows you to download various applications (mostly free although some are paid). These apps allow a variety of things - for example there is a YouTube app (can't remember the name) which allows you to download videos for offline viewing. There is Winterboard which allows you to add themes to your Sprinboard (desktop) changing the wallpaper and icons etc. You can change the number of icons on the dock (I used to have 5).

When you jailbreak, you can almost do anything with your iPod.

There is also an application which will allow you to unlock your phone to any network (although each new firmware version attempts to stop this!)

If you are interested, google redsn0w...
Old 08-20-2009, 03:21 AM   #34
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
I see! Thanks very much.
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #35
PieOPah
Addict

Just to give you an example, this is how my iPhone used to look (I had made a couple of improvements since this screenshot, but it gives you an idea of what can be done with Jailbreak.

With this setup, I had my dock icons transparent so you could see the clock, calendar and weather. There were also 2 'blank icons' for the spacing. I then recreated the dock above the calendar widget. Before 3.0 this worked perfectly since I did everything from the first screen (the top bar would load into categories - similar to folders).

With 3.0 and the search function, it slightly ruined things - plus everything ran slower for me!

Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #36
Mason
parce qui c'est amusant!
Mason began at the beginning.

Device: none
Eh, I jailbroke my iTouch simply so I could get different themes and be able to have a different background than black.

Although if you really don't care about different graphics and you're not that much of a technie, it's not worth losing your warranty.

Last edited by Mason; 08-21-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #37
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Although if you really don't care about different graphics and you're not that much of a technie, it's not worth losing your warranty.
Although if you do a restore then you can't tell it has been jailbroken thus restoring your Warranty...
Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #38
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
While I was pretty happy with the stock apps, I ended up jailbreaking to unlock the phone.

I travel a lot internationaly and was not willing to pay the ripoff riMing charges.

Once unlocked I've been able to pop in local sims wherever I go to get cheap local calls and data.

Still I've got a few apps installed from cydia
- backgrounder
- cycorder
- ad block
- bossprefs

these apps I've found really useful, to make my usage experience a little better.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #39
Mason
parce qui c'est amusant!
Mason began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Although if you do a restore then you can't tell it has been jailbroken thus restoring your Warranty...
If you apply the r3dsn0w patch, they can still tell if you they do a diagnostics check.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #40
erslyman
erslyman began at the beginning.

Some valid points. Some invalid ones. It's a choice.
erslyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #41
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Just to give you an example, this is how my iPhone used to look (I had made a couple of improvements since this screenshot, but it gives you an idea of what can be done with Jailbreak.

With this setup, I had my dock icons transparent so you could see the clock, calendar and weather. There were also 2 'blank icons' for the spacing. I then recreated the dock above the calendar widget. Before 3.0 this worked perfectly since I did everything from the first screen (the top bar would load into categories - similar to folders).

With 3.0 and the search function, it slightly ruined things - plus everything ran slower for me!

Holy cow - this is an awesome home screen. Can you provide a little more detail on how you set it up please:
- Weather/cal at bottom where dock should be
- Dock moved up (transparency I understand)
- Categories across the top

BTW, I also found JB to be 'buggy' (numerous Safari crashes) until I disabled winterboard. I think it was just too much of a hog. Now I'm JB with perfect stability and all the benefits.
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #42
PieOPah
Addict

The theme itself was a varient of 'Delnochs Theme' plenty of info if you google it.

The categories at the top are merely regular icons edited so everything but the top line part is transparent. This gives it that bar look. There is an app in Cydia called Categories which allows you to put your apps into 'folders' which each of these icons then points to.

The dock hasn't moved anywhere... In fact it is in full use in it's regular position.

I have used another app (forget its name - iBlank I think) from Cydia which allows you to create blank icons (these are transparent shortcuts to safari). This allows me to put the 'dock' icons where they are.

The real dock icons are again transparent and sit under the calendar and weather icon. The clock is the clock but changed with yet another Cydia App - Live Clock (or something similar).

The bottom half of the screen is all controlled using widgets.

Other apps include 5icondock and 5column (names might be slightly different - I forget now)

The biggest problem with this theme is that I needed so many add on apps that it drained the memory of the iPhone itself causing it to become unstable.

Prior to 3.0, this theme was great. Since 3.0, it caused me so many problems that I am no longer jailbroken

EDIT: Just realised that this version doesn't include the live clock...
Old 09-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #43
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I think the main reason people do it is for turn by turn GPS and unlimited speed on their 3g. Apparently vanilla speeds are slower?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:22 AM   #44
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
thanks for that. delnoch is impressive theming.
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:47 AM   #45
PieOPah
Addict

There are some other themes which are in my opinion a lot more impressive looking however, the time and effort required to create them is huge - plus if not exactly correct, messes things up!

You can certainly see how people think outside the box with this!