Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The original Kobo H20 was waterproof and had an SD card slot.
The original H2O used the sealed case and connector covers approach to waterproofing unlike the HZO internal coating used in Kobo's newer devices (also in Tolino's waterproof ereaders and, I suspect, the Kindle Oasis 2). I still wonder about the people who tried using the Aura One and Oasis 2 under water and were surprised to find they didn't work well. Water and capacitive touch screens not mixing well? Quelle surprise!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:28 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I still wonder about the people who tried using the Aura One and Oasis 2 under water and were surprised to find they didn't work well. Water and capacitive touch screens not mixing well? Quelle surprise!
But of course, few people want to read under water
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The original H2O used the sealed case and connector covers approach to waterproofing unlike the HZO internal coating used in Kobo's newer devices (also in Tolino's waterproof ereaders and, I suspect, the Kindle Oasis 2). I still wonder about the people who tried using the Aura One and Oasis 2 under water and were surprised to find they didn't work well. Water and capacitive touch screens not mixing well? Quelle surprise!
Just curious, but are you saying that the H2O2 touch screen works under water(not in theory, but practically)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Try reading books about food which are almost as bad as manga or comics for chewing up space. When we were talking about the original Nook GL 3 firmware, it would have taken the 5 largest foodie epubs in my collection to fill the 950MB of sideload storage. With the latest beta firmware removing the separation, the Nook GL 3 is a more attractive device for Americans (IMHO).

As for finding books? If I can remember even part of the author, series or title, the search function on my Aura One works well for me with ~3200 books currently loaded as it does when I use my H2O with it's ~8200 books.
Oh yes.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #20
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could look for an original Kobo H2O (not the "second edition"). It has an SD card slot, although its replacement does not.

I would note, though, that if you're talking about ordinary novels, you can easily store a couple of thousand on a device with 4GB storage.
You can still buy the original in the Philippines and on Amazon also. I think I will get one.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:46 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A public response to a PM which pushed a few buttons.

Correct. I don't own a Nook of any flavour.

Incorrect. I am certain that outside the USA, the Nook is not supported by B&N. The last support for Nooks outside the USA was in the UK. That support for ended in 2016. Originally support for a Nook library in the UK transferred to Sainsbury in March, 2016. In September, 2016, Sainsbury exited the digital entertainment business, transferring their ebook customers to Kobo. At the end of November, 2016, Sainsbury's server were shutdown.

Incorrect. Simple math tells me that my 5 largest foodie ebooks would fill the 930MB sideload space with the GL3's RTM firmware.

Incorrect. I am not under a NDA for the beta Nook firmware. There is no such thing as an implied NDA. Even if I was subject to a NDA, repeating and commenting on publicly available information is unlikely to violate an NDA. Ghod knows, I've read and signed enough of them over the decades.

Incorrect. I am not an employee of nor am I being paid by Amazon, Kobo or any other ereader manufacturer.

And lastly, I have never seen a restriction on Mobileread requiring that before posting about an ereader that you need to own or have owned it.

The remainder of the statements about my obviously prejudiced comments and dubious morality sent to /dev/null.

That feels so much better!

A Happy New Year to all.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-31-2017 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Corrected typo Thanks sjfan!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:53 PM   #22
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Incorrect. Simple math tells me that my 5 largest foodie ebooks would fill the 930GB sideload space with the GL3's RTM firmware.
That's got to be a typo, right? I've got a few 300+ MB books, but 930 gigs for 5 books is impressive.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
That's got to be a typo, right? I've got a few 300+ MB books, but 930 gigs for 5 books is impressive.
You're right, it was a typo and should have been 930MB. My bad.

If only we could buy an ereader with 1TB of internal storage....

Last edited by DNSB; 12-31-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:27 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
I could see that if one of those books was the omnibus of all Southern Living Annual Recipes.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I never seen a nook with a sd slot?

Have you tried the new 7" kindle? it has 32gb that is a hell of a lot of books. Only think I can think of is a Nook or Kindle tablet. They have SD Slots.
Poster is referring to the latest Oasis.

A recent experiment shows that you can put 1,400 books on to a Kindle Basic 8. After indexing, it's quite fast. I plan to add more to see where the limit is. The same number on a Paperwhite clearly shows that it struggles. So even if you HAD an SD card, there is a limit to good operation.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-31-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:37 AM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Incorrect. I am not an employee of nor am I being paid by Amazon, Kobo or any other ereader manufacturer.

And lastly, I have never seen a restriction on Mobileread requiring that before posting about an ereader that you need to own or have owned it.
You were accused of being a paid shill?

Who knew opinions on MobileRead were so influential?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:07 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Based on the number of times GoodEReader has quoted us, they do. But, they never give credit, so maybe they don't.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:

You would be amazed.
@davidfor, there are at least 100 copies of one post here being copied, pasted and/or translated into other languages. Some give credit, most don't.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #29
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Onyx and Boyue devices continue to include a micro SD card slot.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just curious, but are you saying that the H2O2 touch screen works under water(not in theory, but practically)?
In theory, the H2O2 IR system would work under water depending on how well the IR beams worked in water (absorption, deflection, dispersion, etc.). Personally, not something I am going to try. The item I ran into was about capacitive screens on water resistant devices and how they found that water made the capacitive screen useless.