Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #106
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You mean proportional, not inversely.
Those are close to general historic market share average of the last 10 years.
I've used Calibre on Win XP pro, Windows 7 pro and Linux Mint (4 versions) and never had a problem with it. I've found copying an entire library and then removing the books you don't want (bought ones) is the simplest way to copy to someone else's PC.
No problem copying library XP -> Win7 -> Mint 17, Mint 18 (two versions) and Mint 19.
My own main laptop is now 64 bit Mint 18.3 with Mate and and edited version of "Traditional OK" theme. I have also an old HP with 32 bit Mint 18.3 and a small Netbook (64 bit Mint 18.3, had 32bit XP originally) that I copy my mail Calibre library to.
Trick with smaller screens is set DPI to 72 or even 68 rather than default 92 dpi, and then all the windows, buttons etc are smaller and thus windows don't fall off the bottom of the screen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #107
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See This

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #108
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It's one view and it was only partly true before Windows 8, much less true since Windows 8. The big plus of Linux is that there is choice and flexibility. Windows 10 goes back to Windows 2.x in terms of flexibility and is the worst Windows GUI since Win 3.0 on Hercules.

Most people's issues with configuration, USB device mounting etc are now on Win 10 and secondly with Mac OS particularly the most recent.

It's pretty easy to find a solution if you do have a problem with Linux.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #109
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Actually I agree with what he says about PROGRAMMING for Linux. However after Visual Studio 6 (? about 2005?) Windows is fragmenting and the newer "models" promoted by MS have pluses & minuses. Their idea of using one model for desktop and phone was nuts. Even when I was doing Java an application for a desktop was a different design to an application for a small screen, or even a tablet (multiple windows + mouse + keyboard vs usually one window and only touch, even if a 10" screen).

I'd hate to be writing applications for Linux part time. It would need to be a full time focus. I looked at various approaches inc QT (unfortunately Nokia bought Trolltech).
I've done non-GUI programs in C and C++ on linux and one Java application for Linux, maybe 15 years ago. I liked Modula-2 on DOS, VB6 on Windows. C++, C and C# a bit of a pain on Windows compared to VB6. The VB.net is a C# programmer's concept of VB. C# is really an MS development of Java. Java and .net versions are minefields. Did DOS based C and C++ in late 1980s.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #110
Buckskin
Buckskin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
In my Win 10 64 Bit system with Calibre 4.3 drop down boxes in Edit Metadata (tags & series) still do not allow data entry without mouse clicking after every character.

First character typed brings up drop down list but any further characters (i.e. new entry) have to have a mouse click in the box. Gone back to 4.1 until I can find a reason.
Buckskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2019, 01:28 AM   #111
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Shortly after 4.x came out, the download page carried a message warning Win7 users to stick to Calibre 3.48.

I no longer see that message, but that doesn't mean it isn't somewhere.

Is Calibre 4.3.0 okay to unleash on Win7Professional, 64-bit?
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:20 AM   #112
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The note is still there: https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

basically whether it works on win 7 or not depends on your GPU/graphics card drivers. You might get luck you might not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:41 AM   #113
ruisp
ruisp began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckskin View Post
In my Win 10 64 Bit system with Calibre 4.3 drop down boxes in Edit Metadata (tags & series) still do not allow data entry without mouse clicking after every character.

First character typed brings up drop down list but any further characters (i.e. new entry) have to have a mouse click in the box. Gone back to 4.1 until I can find a reason.
I also have this issue in my Win 10 64 Bit system with Calibre 4.3 (beginning, I believe, with 4.2)! In other fields as well, such as Author or Language.
ruisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #114
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I wonder if this is a Locale setting issue?
It works fine for en_US on W10
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #115
ruisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I wonder if this is a Locale setting issue?
It works fine for en_US on W10
Good point.
Well, as a matter of fact I'm using Portuguese keyboard and language definitions - as I was before 4.2, anyway.

I don't know about Buckskin, though.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #116
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruisp View Post
Good point.
Well, as a matter of fact I'm using Portuguese keyboard and language definitions - as I was before 4.2, anyway.

I don't know about Buckskin, though.
My calibre 4.3 installation is set to Brazilian Portuguese. I can't replicate this behavior.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #117
ruisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
My calibre 4.3 installation is set to Brazilian Portuguese. I can't replicate this behavior.
In my case, I always get this problem, unless the characters already entered into the field no longer match any entry in the dropdown list.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #118
KindleAZWorKFX
Connoisseur
KindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it isKindleAZWorKFX knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition and Samsung 10.1 tablet
so under the Microsoft store, I noticed that someone is trying to sell calibre for money , my question is are they breaking copyright law by trying to make money from calibre? I don't no if anyone has try to report this before or if the makers of calibre are even aware of it, I just noticed it today when I search for calibre in the Microsoft store. I was not sure if this should be posted in the forums to ask the users about this matter, since the paid for software doesn't belong to the people that are trying to make money off of the freeware app if I am correct about that, anyway I think I don't no why Microsoft is allowing it in their store, since I think that it breaks copyright law if I am correct about how software works.. anyway I wanted to post about this anyway if people knew about it or didn't know that this was happening with their software online.

I found their website of it here. and its labeled as EpubReader Calibre under microsofts store and their trying to sell it for only $1.09 in that windows 10 store.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ep...ot:overviewtab

and I think the below page is related to it, since I know that the real main website is
this https://calibre-ebook.com/get-involved

Calibre E-Book - Repackager Express
https://repackagerexpress.com/producto/calibre-e-book
KindleAZWorKFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:13 PM   #119
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Version 2.44
It is an Antique
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #120
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Version 2.44
It is an Antique
That is just the screenshot, no telling what version they're selling.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote