Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #91
Slipkid
Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slipkid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are making a big deal over nothing. 3-4 seconds make no noticeable difference. As for the viewer, just right click to get to the options. They don't have to be sitting on the side waiting for you to access them.
The azw3 files do take 3-4 times as long to open now, which I think is noticeable, but that is only the first time you open the book. After that it is pretty much instantaneous (at least for me).
Slipkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #92
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
I've now updated my main Linux laptop after testing on the old one.
If anything the 4.2 Calibre is faster and the new viewer is faster. Both are configured almost identically to how I had them before.
Converted two locally written docx to epub, dual mobi and azw/KF8 and about 20 imported ebooks from Gutenberg (removed paragraph spacing and smartened punctuation).
Previewed in viewer before transfer to the Kobo Libra.

Thanks Kovid!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2019, 03:30 AM   #93
alexter
alexter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th and 10th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
<rant>
Welcome to the world where the OS (updates) obsoletes working hardware.
I just discovered that the latest W10 update no longer supports the scanner part of my 2002 era workgroup class MFC.
Anyone for a SCSI (HP4C) scanner?
A bit offtopic but have you tried Vuescan? Upgraded recently from Win7 to Win10 to find out my Canon 8600f scanner didn't have compatible drivers. Tried Vuescan and, Voila! It works fine. >> www.hamrick.com
Ps. Had an HP4C back in the days. Will never, ever, buy another hp hardware in my life. That scanner didn't have an on-off button and it would freeze from time to time so I had to reach for the power cord under the desk. Plus it was slow as hell.
alexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipkid View Post
The azw3 files do take 3-4 times as long to open now, which I think is noticeable, but that is only the first time you open the book. After that it is pretty much instantaneous (at least for me).
And Kovid has said that the next version of Calibre will have an even faster viewer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:28 PM   #95
GeorgeW509
GeorgeW509 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
When I try to install Calibre 4.2 on my macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac, it causes a kernel panic. I am trying to find an ebook reader for my Mac; I saw rave reviews about Calibre, but I am off to a very rough start. BTW. I just recently did a clean install of macOS Mojave. Is this problem known?
GeorgeW509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2019, 03:53 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeW509 View Post
When I try to install Calibre 4.2 on my macOS Mojave 10.14.6 iMac, it causes a kernel panic. I am trying to find an ebook reader for my Mac; I saw rave reviews about Calibre, but I am off to a very rough start. BTW. I just recently did a clean install of macOS Mojave. Is this problem known?
Can you paste exactly what the error is?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #97
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Yes, try uninstalling the Integos AV if you have it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:02 PM   #98
GeorgeW509
GeorgeW509 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yes, try uninstalling the Integos AV if you have it.

BR
Yes, thanks! When I looked at the backtrace and another post on this site, I was suspecting that Intego AV software was the culprit. I installed an update from them, 10.9.22 (1669), and then I was able to install Calibre. So I am good now! I can start learning how to use Calibre.
GeorgeW509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:48 PM   #99
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
I've now updated my main Linux laptop after testing on the old one.
If anything the 4.2 Calibre is faster and the new viewer is faster. Both are configured almost identically to how I had them before.
Thanks for posting the update on how the new version works on Linux. After reading all the problems Windows users seem to be having with drivers, graphics cards, memory, crashes, etc. I'm glad I use Linux. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, I'm still on 3.48 and that version does everything I need. I'll upgrade once I determine that other Linux users who are more anxious to be on the bleeding edge have given the new version a green light. Thanks for providing the first green light I've seen (quick scanning this thread). What are other Linux users seeing? I'm certainly not going to upgrade my graphics card just to run Calibre. I don't even have a graphics card in my main desktop - the MoBo integrated graphics are more than adequate for the 2D applications I run. Calibre included. I can't believe the Windows software and hardware requirements seem so high for Calibre (or maybe it's for Windows in general - hard to tell which it is). 16Gb of memory? In Linux, that's moderate server level stuff. Individual desktop systems don't need anywhere near that much.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:31 PM   #100
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Yes, thanks! When I looked at the backtrace and another post on this site, I was suspecting that Intego AV software was the culprit. I installed an update from them, 10.9.22 (1669), and then I was able to install Calibre. So I am good now! I can start learning how to use Calibre.
Good Luck.

The road winds uphill to the very end. Then Kovid builds a new stretch.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:12 AM   #101
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Calibre included. I can't believe the Windows software and hardware requirements seem so high for Calibre (or maybe it's for Windows in general - hard to tell which it is). 16Gb of memory? In Linux, that's moderate server level stuff. Individual desktop systems don't need anywhere near that much.
There is a HUGE difference between 64 bit Windows and 32 bit. I have a Win10 tablet that has a 64 bit CPU, yet maker put 32bit on it because it's not enough Flash & RAM for 64 bit and too slow. Yet it's fine with 64bit Debian except for touch rotation. You need to make a custom USB stick for Mint 64 as the tablet has a 32 bit EFI. I put Win10 32 bit back on, just use it for PDFs.

XP is much less RAM and CPU resource than Win10.

4.2 Calibre with over 2000 books, some 300 are big PDFs
I have 32 bit Calibre on an old 2G RAM 32bit Linux laptop (Mint 18.3) that even has the rubbish Intel i945GMA integrated graphics. I have Calibre on a 4G RAM 64bit Linux (Mint 18.3).
Also tested on 64 bit Mint 19.2

My main laptop is 8G RAM 64bit Mint 18.3. I've found 32bit Wine a pig to install on 64bit Mint 19.x vs 64 bit Mint 18.x

Also there is no penalty on installing 64 bit Linux over 32 bit unlike Win7 & Win10. OTH if the CPU is ONLY 32bit you have to have 32bit Linux and then there is no 6.2 LibreOffice, no Viber and no Waterfox. Lazy developers, it's just a different set of compiler flags in Make file.

I think the Windows spec for Calibre reflects what a hog MS Windows 10 64bit is.

Been using Windows since win 3.0.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:43 PM   #102
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
After reading all the problems Windows users seem to be having with drivers, graphics cards, memory, crashes, etc. I'm glad I use Linux.
What we're seeing are the rare exceptions, not the rule.

Quote:
I'm in no hurry to upgrade, I'm still on 3.48 and that version does everything I need. I'll upgrade once I determine that other Linux users who are more anxious to be on the bleeding edge have given the new version a green light.
If it is working for you there is no need to change versions. That said, since we are talking exceptions to the rule you'll have no idea how it will work for you until you try it. IIRC, one positive thing you have going for you is the developer of calibre develops this software on his Linux machine.

Quote:
I'm certainly not going to upgrade my graphics card just to run Calibre. I don't even have a graphics card in my main desktop - the MoBo integrated graphics are more than adequate for the 2D applications I run. Calibre included. I can't believe the Windows software and hardware requirements seem so high for Calibre
Windows software and hardware requirements for Calibre are the same as for any simple program out there.

There is no need for a special graphics card to run calibre, I have a 7 year old machine running Windows 64 with onboard graphics and things always run fine. And on the memory front calibre doesn't use much memory at all, 350 megs for a 12,000+ book library. Only complex conversions may require a lot of memory and that is an issue on any operating system.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-02-2019 at 12:25 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #103
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
True, that. I've never had any problems with Calibre (or the majority of other programs) on any Windows machine I've owned. Not even on an extremely low-end Intel Celeron laptop 10 years ago.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:00 PM   #104
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Glad to hear that. Sometimes things can get blown out of proportion in a long thread if you don't look closely. Then when you go back and re-read, you find it's only a few posters who are having issues, but they have multiple posts describing it. Nothing wrong with adding additional detail about a problem in subsequent posts. I just need to look closer when I'm reading so I don't get fooled into thinking something is more widespread than it actually is.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #105
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I suspect the number of platform related issues is inversely proportional to the number of active users of each platform ==>> calibre - Usage Statistics

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote