Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Post Dumas, Alexandre: D'Artagnan Romances, Vol 1. v2, 22 Aug 2008

Everyone is familiar with The Three Musketeers, thanks to the many movies which have been made of this book, some of them sharing little more than the name in common with the actual book

What some people may be unaware of is that The Three Musketeers is merely the first (small) part of a set of three books called, as a whole, the D'Artagnan Romances, which collectively tell the life story of D'Artagnan, who appears as a young man in The Three Musketeers. The book is, like its main protagonist, of truly heroic proportions. If you think that War and Peace or The Lord of the Rings would be quite good if only they were longer, this is the series for you .

This gets a bit complicated, so pay attention (there will be a test at the end)...

The D'Artagnan Romances consists of three books:

1. The Three Musketeers.
2. Twenty Years After (set 20 years after The Three Musketeers).
3. The Vicomte de Bragelonne (set 10 years after part 2 - ie 30 years after The Three Musketeers).

OK, so far, so good. Where it gets complicated is that the final book in the series is a truly gargantuan work, and is generally published split into either 3, 4, or 5 separate volumes. This edition uses the four volume version, and these four volumes are called, respectively:

3a. The Vicomte de Bragelonne.
3b. Ten Years Later.
3c. Louise de la Valliere.
3d. The Man in the Iron Mask.

Where things get complicated is that The Vicomte de Bragelonne can refer to either the whole of this third book, or just to the first volume of it. Moreover, it is subtitled Ten Years Later, so once again this title can refer to the whole book or just the second volume of it. Finally, just to confuse matters, The Man in the Iron Mask is often printed as a "self-contained" novel, and can be split up in quite a different manner from the 4-part split described above.

Phew...

Hope that's clear to everyone .

Anyway, back to the plot. What I'm going to do is issue the whole series in FOUR volumes, as follows:

Vol 1 - The Three Musketeers (this book).
Vol 2 - Twenty Years After.
Vol 3 - The first two parts of the complete Vicomte de Bragelonne; ie The Vicomte de Bragelonne and Ten Years Later.
Vol 4 - The final two parts of the complete Vicomte de Bragelonne; ie Louise de la Valliere and The Man in the Iron Mask.

That should be enough to keep even the keenest reader going for a while.

I should add, by the way, that this is a wonderful series. I've read it many times, and never tire of it. It's best to read it straight through, if you can.

The plot, for those not familiar with it:

The year is 1625. The young D'Artagnan arrives in Paris at the tender age of 18, and almost immediately offends three musketeers, Porthos, Aramis, and Athos. Instead of dueling, the four are attacked by five of the Cardinal's guards, and the courage of the youth is made apparent during the battle. The four become fast friends, and, when asked by D'Artagnan's landlord to find his missing wife, embark upon an adventure that takes them across both France and England in order to thwart the plans of the Cardinal Richelieu. Along the way, they encounter a beautiful young spy, named simply Milady, who will stop at nothing to disgrace Queen Anne of Austria before her husband, Louis XIII, and take her revenge upon the four friends.

Enjoy - the other volumes to follow shortly.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc DArtagnan Romances Vol 1.prc (872.0 KB, 2227 views)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Bravo Harry!
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
So which translation is this based on? I started to reading it and the I happened to have Wordsworth Classics version and compared the text and there is a lot of difference. For example chapter 7 is "The interior of 'The Musketeers'" in this version and "The Domestic Manners of the Musketeers" in Wordsworth's version. The first paragraph in Wordsworth's version says "...and Porthos and Aramis to hire a lackey" and this version says "...Porthos to engage a lackey, and Aramis to provide himself with a suitable mistress".

So why these rather big differences?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately the PG source does not credit a translator; many of these 19th century translations appear to have been anonymous - they were (I'd guess) hired by the publisher to do the translation.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Some feedback on formatting. If you follow footnote number 3 in chapter 9 you get to the text "[3] Haberdasher". I wanted to look up Haberdasher on my Cybook but it included "[3] " in the word and does not find it. Maybe this should be formatted so that all words in a footnote can be looked up? Maybe a : after [3] is enough?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK - thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
A belated thank you! I just started reading a badly formatted PG version, and I'm really enjoying it (despite the horrible formatting) but I'm sure I'll enjoy it much more with your version.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Here is a tidbit for the enjoyment of the story. they are always talking about the montary unit "pistoles". It took me years to figure out that it was equivalent to the standard gold coin of France in the era, The Louis D'Or (.2201 Actual Gold Weight). Not in the usual dictionaries....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A pistole is the same as a louis? I just came across a point in the story where some amount of pistoles plus some other change (which I thought included louis) was converted to a larger sum of livres, and made a mental note to go try to find out what the relationship between these various coins was.

And, as I anticipated, I certainly have been enjoying the nicely formatted version more than the PG version with broken lines everywhere. What charming young idiots! (Even Athos comes across that way, sometimes.)
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
A pistole is the same as a louis? I just came across a point in the story where some amount of pistoles plus some other change (which I thought included louis) was converted to a larger sum of livres, and made a mental note to go try to find out what the relationship between these various coins was.

And, as I anticipated, I certainly have been enjoying the nicely formatted version more than the PG version with broken lines everywhere. What charming young idiots! (Even Athos comes across that way, sometimes.)
The pistole was originally a Spanish denomination, also referred to as a double escudo, I believe. France and Spain did a lot of trade 1500's and 1600's, so France struck Louis D'Or to the Spanish standard, as well as maintaining their own local currency (livres), which could be exchanged back and forth. In the 1800's and early 1900's, some Latin American countries did the same with English pounds (gold) and French 20 Francs (gold). Peru made some very pretty trade coins...
Old 01-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
The pistole was originally a Spanish denomination, also referred to as a double escudo, I believe. France and Spain did a lot of trade 1500's and 1600's, so France struck Louis D'Or to the Spanish standard, as well as maintaining their own local currency (livres), which could be exchanged back and forth. In the 1800's and early 1900's, some Latin American countries did the same with English pounds (gold) and French 20 Francs (gold). Peru made some very pretty trade coins...
also, little trivia for you, "la livre" means the pound in french (not to be confused with "le livre", the book), this name comes from a monetary system which was used by france until the revolution and in... the UK, until 1971.

1 livre = 20 sous or 240 deniers, and 1 sou = 12 deniers

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoire_de_la_monnaie
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
also, little trivia for you, "la livre" means the pound in french (not to be confused with "le livre", the book), this name comes from a monetary system which was used by france until the revolution and in... the UK, until 1971.

1 livre = 20 sous or 240 deniers, and 1 sou = 12 deniers

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histoire_de_la_monnaie
And the pound involved was a pound (Troy) of Silver (not gold). The ratio slowly changed, back and forth, over time between gold and silver...

(And money changers charged a fee for the conversion, just like today....)
Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It's a while since I read these books, but I seem to recall that a "pistole" is worth two "louis". I may be mistaken, however!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
See, that part I knew.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The pound is, of course still used in the UK - it's just its "subdivision" which changed from "shillings and pence" (12 pence to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound) to a simple 100 pence to the pound.

It's interesting to note that the standard "abbreviations" used for the pre-decimal British currency go right back to Roman times. The symbols "L" (pounds) "s" (shillings), "d" (pence) were short for "Libri", "solidi", and "denarii" - all Roman units of measurement.