Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
sehlat
Enthusiast
sehlat began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone Marvin, Marvin 3
Help! Edit Metadata NOT displaying comments!!

I'm running 4.9.1, and have a backup copy not yet updated that runs 4.9. The 4.9.1 version is not displaying comments for edit metadata and 4.9 is. I haven't changed any settings as far as I know.

I've attached screenshots from both versions of the same book. Any ideas as to what's going on? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre 4.9 Entry Display.png
Views:	53
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	176883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre 4.9.1 Entry Display No Comments.png
Views:	48
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	176884  
sehlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
What OS? The arrangement looks odd compared to windows.
What is your tweak :
Code:
# Number of columns for custom metadata in the edit metadata dialog
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What OS? The arrangement looks odd...
Could be the Linux Art-deco distro

@sehlat - did you try another Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout: setting

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:09 AM   #4
sehlat
Enthusiast

metadata_single_use_2_cols_for_custom_fields = True
Old 02-04-2020, 03:10 AM   #5
sehlat
Enthusiast

I'm running Windows 7. The layout with 4.9 is what I've had for years.
Advert
Old 02-04-2020, 03:37 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

@sehlat - did you try another Preferences->Behaviour->Edit metadata (single) layout: setting?

BR
Well ?

BR
Old 02-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #7
sehlat
Enthusiast

Edit metadata (single) layout "All on 1 tab" got my comments back. However, the layout looks weird to me. The basic metadata is on the left, custom metadata in the middle, cover on the right, and on the bottom half of the window are the comments and book formats. Is there any way to change the "edit metadata" layout? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cover on the right (wide) or Bottom (narrow) is the normal MDE view

For simple viewing: I use the 'I'nfo (floating) pane
Old 02-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehlat View Post
Edit metadata (single) layout "All on 1 tab" got my comments back. However, the layout looks weird to me. The basic metadata is on the left, custom metadata in the middle, cover on the right, and on the bottom half of the window are the comments and book formats.
Yep, that's the AIO layout. So we know the Comments are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehlat View Post
Is there any way to change the "edit metadata" layout? Thanks.
There's the tweak for arranging custom fields into two columns, and there's the "metadata_edit_custom_column_order" tweak. But I doubt that's what you have in mind.

FWIW: because I couldn't find an MDE layout that suited me (i.e. they're all weird ) I do all my single book metadata editing in the book list, only occasionally going into the single MDE dialogue to check a title_sort or author_sort. I use the View Manager plugin to set different book list views for Books, Journals, Comics etc.

Back to your original problem with the Default layout, could you try reverting to whatever constitutes the 'normal' Win 7 appearance. Version 4 calibre incorporates a later version of the Qt framework to do some of the UI heavy lifting, it may not be coping with the 'Win 98' theme.

Curious: what are you using to provide the extra title bar buttons?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-04-2020 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Add curious
Old 02-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
sehlat
Enthusiast

The extra title bar buttons are provided by DisplayFusion Pro 9.6.1 each button changes the placement of the panel. From left to right they are "Move Window to Center of Monitor and size to 75%", "Move window to center of monitor", "move window to next monitor", "size and move window to left side of monitor", "size and move window to right side of monitor", "size and move window to top side of monitor", "size and move window to bottom side of monitor", "move window to system tray". The three rightmost buttons are our old buddies from the system. When I'm trying to arrange, for example, my accounting program on the left side of my monitor and my web browser to the right to display the financial institution I use, those buttons are a wonderful. Same trick works for editing code on the left and my textbook on the right.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator

I use something similar - ActualTools Title Buttons - couldn't live without it.

But. what about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Back to your original problem with the Default layout, could you try reverting to whatever constitutes the 'normal' Win 7 appearance. Version 4 calibre incorporates a later version of the Qt framework to do some of the UI heavy lifting, it may not be coping with the 'Win 98' theme.
BR
Old 02-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #12
nickindle
nickindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Sooo, ummm I was searching for an answer to this, I went into my metadata download page and looked at what the section was called, so comments obviously, dur...

I haven't used Calibre for anything other than getting books onto my kindle, thought I'd give it a real go, so I can get categories working and stuff.

Anyway, because me being me, I was fiddling...and well I went and had a look at my preferences again...in 'Look and Feel' > 'Book Details' > 'Select displayed metadata', turns out I had unclicked the 'comments' option.

Could you have done that too?

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-06-2020 at 10:26 AM.
nickindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Red face

Preferences: Look and Feel: Book details (a tab): Tick Comments
Old 02-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickindle View Post

Anyway, because me being me, I was fiddling...and well I went and had a look at my preferences again...in 'Look and Feel' > 'Book Details' > 'Select displayed metadata', turns out I had unclicked the 'comments' option.

Could you have done that too?
That setting controls what's displayed in the Book Details panel, the issue at hand is that the Comments are not being shown in the Single Metadata Edit Default dialogue, far as I can tell that setting doesn't effect MDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preferences: Look and Feel: Book details (a tab): Tick Comments
: Ψ³

BR