Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Paperwhite Second Gen: First Impressions

Ok, my new Kindle Paperwhite Gen 2 arrived! Initial impressions:

--the screen lighting is AMAZING, and much better than my first PW. It's even, no spotlighting or colored blotches, Hopefully, all will agree. I got a decent PW V.1 on my second attempt, but this is definitely an improvement.

--it is noticeably faster on page turns and menus.

--There are page numbers!!! I know that some people had them before, but in the book that I am now reading ("Collision 2012") they now for the first time appear at the bottom of the page without having to hit menu or the like.

--the screen is crisp, and even with the light turned up full, it looks great.

--the footnote feature is awesome. Anyone who has read "Infinite Jest" will know what I mean, and this is the e-reader of choice for a book like that!

Love it! It's what v1 should have been.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
benjamin11900
benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: none
Can you post a picture of the screen please ?
benjamin11900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Darkuul
Darkuul began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Congrats on getting your PW2 so early! Thanks sharing your first impressions. This will be my first e-reader, and each new post and review I find just makes me more excited to finally get it. Enjoy!
Darkuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
meerkat
meerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguemeerkat can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: prs-650BC (was prs-600), ipad, kindle PW1,Google Nexus7 (2013)
Thanks for the quick review.

What has been mssing among all the reviews, including yours, is what about reading in a dark room, color banding or uneven lightning in low light setting?
meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Please one question.

Could you compare both screen with light off?. Is the new Paperwhite's screen whiter than old Paperwhite?

Thanks in advanced ;-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked at it in low light. No banding or unevenness. Here are 2 quick pix. I tried to get out of the way of the ambient light to avoid shadows.

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

These were taken with full light on. There seems to be light coming more from the top than the flashlight effect from the bottom which plagued v.1. Not a problem, though.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-23-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
That's awesome that you got yours! Did you get shipped from Amazon or did you get it at your local Best Buy? So glad to hear the lighting is better and there's no color blotches! I'm really excited now! Thanks for posting so quickly.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

We need photos of screen in low light not in brightly lit room. The light was designed for using in low lit areas. Any Kindle looks good in brightly lit areas.

@sparklemotion, I doubt they will be available in Best Buy before a few weeks from now. BB is notorious for listing items that say "Check in Store" even though they know they don't have them. I checked and there are no stores in my area with them.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-30-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Wildgift
Connoisseur

Guys, I'm at work. I'll try to post some others later. I did look at it under my desk, where it is dark. Looks awesome! I bought it from Amazon, btw.

Last edited by Wildgift; 09-30-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Woohoo. My PW2 just arrived 2 days early. Unfortunately, I won't be able to post photos yet.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
We need photos of screen in low light not in brightly lit room. The light was designed for using in low lit areas. Any Kindle looks good in brightly lit areas.

@sparklemotion, I doubt they will be available in Best Buy before a few weeks from now. BB is notorious for listing items that say "Check in Store" even though they know they don't have them. I checked and there are no stores in my area with them.
Hmm.. well, I noticed some of the Best Buys near me are showing them as available now, along with stores nearby in New Jersey and Pennsylvania too. I threw in zip codes for other areas just to check. LOL. Some come up available now, some don't.

When I put in the zip code near me there's about 4 Best Buys showing they have them "available now" and about 6 stores that say "not available". I guess that made me think that some of them really do have them in stock today. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to call or drop in a store that says it's available. Mine still says shipping soon. I'm just going to trust that Amazon gets it here tomorrow!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Woohoo. My PW2 just arrived 2 days early. Unfortunately, I won't be able to post photos yet.
That's awesome you got it so early! Did you select regular 2 day shipping speed with Amazon Prime? I chose 1 day and just called Amazon and they say mine has not shipped yet, but will ship later tonight. He assured me it would be here tomorrow, but I'm feeling a little doubtful now considering it definitely hasn't shipped. I guess I'll see what happens.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
There are page numbers!!! I know that some people had them before, but in the book that I am now reading ("Collision 2012") they now for the first time appear at the bottom of the page without having to hit menu or the like.
You're sure that this is not just a function of the book you are reading; does this work with any book? I'm using Calibre's Page Count plugin, and I get pagenumbers the way I like them, but only when I tap at the menu. It would be nice if there now was an option to show them permanently. (And not as huge as Kobo does it.)

edit: I just saw the picture; it's in place of the "Time to read" function. Pity; I'd hoped you could see them both, TTR on the left, page numbers in the middle.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
--the footnote feature is awesome. Anyone who has read "Infinite Jest" will know what I mean, and this is the e-reader of choice for a book like that!
¿What's the new with footnotes?
elchamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Hmm.. well, I noticed some of the Best Buys near me are showing them as available now, along with stores nearby in New Jersey and Pennsylvania too. I threw in zip codes for other areas just to check. LOL. Some come up available now, some don't.

When I put in the zip code near me there's about 4 Best Buys showing they have them "available now" and about 6 stores that say "not available". I guess that made me think that some of them really do have them in stock today. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to call or drop in a store that says it's available. Mine still says shipping soon. I'm just going to trust that Amazon gets it here tomorrow!
Make sure you are looking up the "NEW" PW as they list both PW1 and PW2. I just checked again and no stores have them in the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area. We have about 6.5 million people here so that is a huge market. I have noticed in the past that BB's online availability statements don't always match what the stores have or not have though. I think it was a few weeks after first shipments went out in 2012 before the BBs had them here.