Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Reviews 101

My first epub is almost finished, and I just launched a new website to promote it and other books I'm working on. I'd now like to learn about the reviews game.

What are some good places to solicit reviews? I assume you just send a reviewer a free copy of your book/epub, and they write something about it, right?

I'm particularly interested in tips about reviews by librarians. My long range goal is to get my book into libraries, though I've learned that's next to impossible. But I'd like to at least let librarians know about my book.

How does one go about getting books reviewed by the library system?
SigilBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigilBear View Post
My first epub is almost finished, and I just launched a new website to promote it and other books I'm working on. I'd now like to learn about the reviews game.

What are some good places to solicit reviews? I assume you just send a reviewer a free copy of your book/epub, and they write something about it, right?

I'm particularly interested in tips about reviews by librarians. My long range goal is to get my book into libraries, though I've learned that's next to impossible. But I'd like to at least let librarians know about my book.

Find a big name publisher for your book if you are dead set on getting into libraries.

Now as for reviews, fiction or non-fiction?
Oh and be sure and put it over in the self-promotion forum.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Library Journal's submission info...
http://reviews.libraryjournal.com/ab...les-for-review

eBook specific info...
http://reviews.libraryjournal.com/ab...ef=foot#EBooks

Looks like they want stuff be available through NetGalley (which isn't cheap) and while it doesn't appear to be required you'd have a much better chance if the book will be available through OverDrive (tough, but not impossible, for self-pubbed) as if the the book isn't available through systems libraries use it's of little use for them to review.

I don't have time to look right now, but here is the BookList site (American Library Association) and I'd guess there is info about submitting for review somewhere on the site...
https://www.booklistonline.com/Default.aspx

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #4
SigilBear
Banned
SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SigilBear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:37 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...] I assume you just send a reviewer a free copy of your book/epub, and they write something about it, right? [...]
Aside from the useful information you've already been given, to address the quoted bit above:

Step 1: locate people/blogs that review your sort of book

Step 2: see if they have anything online to tell you if they might review your book and what rules apply for submission

Step 3: follow those rules*

Step 4: wait and see, but don't hold your breath.

My experience has been that reviewers are often unresponsive even compared to traditional publishers. If they decide they are not interested, for whatever reason, they won't even send you the polite (or impolite) refusal. This is quite understandable, given the nature of the Internet, but it can be sort of like sending out a message in a bottle. Disclaimer: I am incredibly lazy at marketing, quite possibly people with more dedication, persistence and enthusiasm for this aspect of publishing will see better results than I ever did.

* If they did not explicitly say that they accept review material then the chances are that they don't. You might try sending them a polite enquiry anyway, but only if you are confident your book is a reasonable match.

Last edited by gmw; 03-24-2017 at 04:10 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Aside from the useful information you've already been given, to address the quoted bit above:

Step 1: locate people/blogs that review your sort of book

Step 2: see if they have anything online to tell you if they might review your book and what rules apply for submission

Step 3: follow those rules*

Step 4: wait and see, but don't hold your breath.

My experience has been that reviewers are often unresponsive even compared to traditional publishers. If they decide they are not interested, for whatever reason, they won't even send you the polite (or impolite) refusal. This is quite understandable, given the nature of the Internet, but it can be sort of like sending out a message in a bottle. Disclaimer: I am incredibly lazy at marketing, quite possibly people with more dedication, persistence and enthusiasm for this aspect of publishing will see better results than I ever did.

* If they did not explicitly say that they accept review material then the chances are that they don't. You might try sending them a polite enquiry anyway, but only if you are confident your book is a reasonable match.
I was once offered a blog to review books. It took me less than 30 seconds to say no. I didn't want flooded with (can't find a polite word). Besides it takes a few hours to read a book.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If you have an up and running youtube channel, place a preview of your book on it, maybe reading part of the first chapter. Invite people to comment and to mention if they would be prepared to receive review copies to review. Be prepared for trolls and some very nasty comments.
There are many booktube channels who depend on freebies, sometimes they review them (in a video) sometimes they don't, but they often mention that they've been sent the book and read the blurb. Most of them prefer paper copies to ebooks. Perhaps pm the booktube channels to ask if they would like to receive an ebook version, also sending them information such as a very brief synopsis/blurb. Chose only channels who review your type of book. Ask them if they would mind leaving written reviews on Amazon/wherever also.
The response will be sparse and patchy.

Last edited by BookCat; 04-18-2017 at 01:33 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
SigilBear
Banned

Thanks for the tip. I wonder why they prefer paper copies when it's so more convenient to download an ebook or send it via e-mail?
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I wonder why they prefer paper copies when it's so more convenient to download an ebook or send it via e-mail?
Easier to make notes.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Easier to make notes.
It also cuts down on the whole fear of being swamped thing. By raising the barrier to entry it reduces the number of submissions.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
It also cuts down on the whole fear of being swamped thing. By raising the barrier to entry it reduces the number of submissions.
I should have remembered that one.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:43 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Many of the booktubers still value having a physical copy and don't actually like ebooks, though many have converted.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote