Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #106
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Barnes and Noble has the complete Sam Gunn Omnibus by Ben Bova for $7.99

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/sam-...=9781466828674

Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
$6.90 at Diesel-ebooks.com, at that price I just may be tempted to buy.

bernie
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #107
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Barnes and Noble has the complete Sam Gunn Omnibus by Ben Bova for $7.99

Quote:
And $0.50 cheaper at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sam-Gunn-O...mm_kin_title_0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
$6.90 at Diesel-ebooks.com, at that price I just may be tempted to buy.
Kobo NZ has it for $4.55 ($NZ7.99 = $US6.49 normal price, plus 30% discount this weekend using SPRINGSAVE promo code), Kobo France and other countries where Tor books are discountable probably have it at a similar price. http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-S...tnw/page1.html

Last edited by GeoffR; 05-25-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: add URL
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #108
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is $1.99 from Macmillan.

Quote:
Yevgeny Zamyatin's We is set in an urban glass city called OneState, regulated by spies and secret police. Citizens of the tyrannical OneState wear identical clothing and are distinguished only by the number assigned to them at birth. The story follows a man called D-503, who dangerously begins to veer from the 'norms' of society after meeting I-330, a woman who defies the rules. D-503 soon finds himself caught up in a secret plan to destroy OneState and liberate the city.

The failed utopia of We has been compared to the works of H.G. Wells, George Orwell, and Aldous Huxley. It was the first novel banned by the Soviets in 1921, and was finally published in its home country over a half-century later.

We is a part of Momentum's Classic Science Fiction series.

"The best single work of science fiction yet written." — Ursula K. Le Guin
Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #109
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Really enjoyed that book. I read the public domain translation by Gregory Zilboorg. I notice that this one doesn't actually mention who the translator is anywhere. I checked the first page and I believe it's the same translation.

Then I looked a little further and now I'm not sure the version I have is legally public domain. Crap this copyright thing drives me crazy.

EDIT: Decided to go ahead and purchase because my suspect copy is PDF anyway and it would be nice to have a Kindle version. There is no copyright reference to the translator at all in this ebook. Wouldn't that be quite unusual?

Last edited by caleb72; 05-26-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #110
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
This is an Australian imprint of Macmillan (digital only). Not sure it's out of copyright here in the US.

It also doesn't mention Macmillan anywhere in the publisher info, so this may be a PD version uploaded to the store that just mentions the AU publisher...

There is a copyright page at the end, according to the sample - is there a mention of the translation, there?
Advert
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #111
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Really enjoyed that book. I read the public domain translation by Gregory Zilboorg. I notice that this one doesn't actually mention who the translator is anywhere. I checked the first page and I believe it's the same translation.

Then I looked a little further and now I'm not sure the version I have is legally public domain. Crap this copyright thing drives me crazy.

EDIT: Decided to go ahead and purchase because my suspect copy is PDF anyway and it would be nice to have a Kindle version. There is no copyright reference to the translator at all in this ebook. Wouldn't that be quite unusual?
The Zilboorg translation appears to be from 1924. (Isn't the cutoff in US for works before 1923?)

I've seen some publishers putting out public domain translations and omitting the translator. Could be oversight. Could be trying to hide the fact that the buyer could get it free. Could be trying to hide the fact that it's an old translation.

The list price for this edition is $2.34. Leads me to wonder.

Last edited by Fluribus; 05-26-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #112
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
This is an Australian imprint of Macmillan (digital only). Not sure it's out of copyright here in the US.

It also doesn't mention Macmillan anywhere in the publisher info, so this may be a PD version uploaded to the store that just mentions the AU publisher...

There is a copyright page at the end, according to the sample - is there a mention of the translation, there?
The copyright section says it was originally published by Dutton in 1924. It doesn't give a translator.

ETA: Found this PDF version:

Quote:
Copyright,1924, BY E. P. DUTTON & CO., INC.
Copyright renewal, 1952, BY GREGORY ZILBOORG
He died in 1937.

http://mises.org/books/we_zamiatin.pdf

Last edited by NightBird; 05-26-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #113
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The Sam Gunn Omnibus at B&N is also $7.59.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #114
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
The copyright section says it was originally published by Dutton in 1924. It doesn't give a translator.

He died in 1937.

Looks like it is not PD anywhere (and not entirely likely to be legal, even in AU), based on that translation date.

There is a new translation available that went back to the original (most apparently use the '52 translation as a basis).
Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #115
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

He died in 1937.

Yep - that's the one I had, thinking for some reason that it was public domain. Maybe I took everything from the publication date instead of considering the full lifespan of the translator - I can't remember now.

Zilboorg didn't die until 1959 which puts Life + 50 at 2009. Extension to Life + 70 was 1 Jan 2005. It would still be in copyright until 2029 in Australia unless it went out of copyright in the US first which, I'm guessing, is unlikely. If I'm not mistaken, the copyright renewal notice has a bearing on how to apply the US copyright laws. If the renewal wasn't there, then I think this would have fallen out of copyright in the US?

Grrrr. Anyway, I've purchased a copy now.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #116
caleb72
Indie Advocate

If you like a bit of steampunk, The Affinity Bridge by George Mann is $2.99 at Amazon (US) at the moment.

Quote:
Welcome to the bizarre and dangerous world of Victorian London, a city teetering on the edge of revolution. Its people are ushering in a new era of technology, dazzled each day by unfamiliar inventions. Airships soar in the skies over the city, while ground trains rumble through the streets and clockwork automatons are programmed to carry out menial tasks in the offices of lawyers, policemen, and journalists.

But beneath this shiny veneer of progress lurks a sinister side.

Queen Victoria is kept alive by a primitive life-support system, while her agents, Sir Maurice Newbury and his delectable assistant Miss Veronica Hobbes, do battle with enemies of the crown, physical and supernatural. This time Newbury and Hobbes are called to investigate the wreckage of a crashed airship and its missing automaton pilot, while attempting to solve a string of strangulations attributed to a mysterious glowing policeman, and dealing with a zombie plague that is ravaging the slums of the capital.

Get ready to follow dazzling young writer George Mann to a London unlike any you’ve ever seen and into an adventure you will never forget..

At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.
Amazon (US): LINK
Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #117
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Yep - that's the one I had, thinking for some reason that it was public domain. Maybe I took everything from the publication date instead of considering the full lifespan of the translator - I can't remember now.

Zilboorg didn't die until 1959 which puts Life + 50 at 2009. Extension to Life + 70 was 1 Jan 2005. It would still be in copyright until 2029 in Australia unless it went out of copyright in the US first which, I'm guessing, is unlikely. If I'm not mistaken, the copyright renewal notice has a bearing on how to apply the US copyright laws. If the renewal wasn't there, then I think this would have fallen out of copyright in the US?

Grrrr. Anyway, I've purchased a copy now.
I don't know that much about the copyright laws, but I found this (don't know if it's accurate or not):

Quote:
The first English translation (by Gergory Zilboorg) was published in 1924 and copyrighted by E.P. Dutton and Company (renewed in 1952 by the translator), and therefore will not enter the public domain until at least January 1, 2019 (in accordance with the Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act) and probably much later
http://notabug.com/kahle/138

ETA: And here's a MR thread about it:

Quote:
#184 HarryT 08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
What was the date of the English translator's death? That's what determines whether or not it's in the public domain. A translation has its own copyright, independent of that of the original author, so in most countries, a work will be protected by copyright until the start of the year following the 70th anniversary of the translator's death (in Canada, it's the 50th anniversary).

#185 namebrandon 08-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote HarryT
What was the date of the English translator's death? That's what determines whether or not it's in the public domain. A translation has its own copyright, independent of that of the original author, so in most countries, a work will be protected by copyright until the start of the year following the 70th anniversary of the translator's death (in Canada, it's the 50th anniversary).
Gregory Zilboorg died in 1959.

Here's the link to the Stanford Copyright Renewal Page
http://collections.stanford.edu/copy...eID=1324645412

Title We; authorized translation by Gregory Zilboorg

Author ZAMIATIN, EVGENII IVANOVICH

Registration Date 22Dec24

Renewal Date 22Oct52

From my quick research (USA related), it looks like the copyright is still valid 95 years from the publication date of 1924 (since it was published after 1923, and renewed). Guess I'll add it to my calendar's to-do list for Dec 22, 2019.

#186 Jellby 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Note that what is "public domain" varies between countries. In Canada, where the main MobileRead server is located, it is the year of the author's/translator's death that counts, not the date of publication.

Since the author (Yevgeny Zamyatin) died 73 years ago, and the translator in (Gregory Zilboorg) 51 years ago, the English translation should be public domain in Canada (since the 1st January 2010). The "copyright renewal" thing is only for the US.
http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=11648&page=19

I've had it on my wishlist for a while, and I know I looked for a PD copy at the time and didn't find one, so I snapped up this one.

Last edited by NightBird; 05-27-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 AM   #118
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
UK Only, 31st May 2013

Amazon's daily deal for today is a fantasy Trilogy by Jo Walton for £0.99 each:

The King's Peace (Tor 2000)
The King's Name (Tor 2001)
The Prize in the Game (Tor 2002)

I've recently read her splendid Tooth and Claw, and her alternate history Farthing and Ha'Penny are good too. A fantasy trilogy from her for just £2.97 is too good to pass up.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-31-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #119
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Yes, I fell for that one, too. The first Daily Deal I've bought in ages.

Edit: In fact, I think Tooth and Claw might have been the last one. I haven't read it yet.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #120
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Yes, I fell for that one, too. The first Daily Deal I've bought in ages.

Edit: In fact, I think Tooth and Claw might have been the last one. I haven't read it yet.
Move it up your list. I found it most enjoyable.
Closed Thread