Notices

Old 12-05-2021, 12:14 PM   #16
lindseyleeanna
lindseyleeanna began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I just can't believe they're getting much out of a book, speed reading. Maybe so, but it seems to be that good writing has a rhythm and cadence that you're not getting with speed reading. Like chugging a good wine or digitally speeding up a piece of music.

But, not being a speed reader, I wouldn't know what it's like.
When you read slowly, your mind tends to wander off in all different directions, things about your day, tomorrow, something people said, what you want to eat, and so on. If you find yourself rereading text then you should read faster, not slower. I work best when I'm actively scanning for information or answers.
lindseyleeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseyleeanna View Post
When you read slowly, your mind tends to wander off in all different directions, things about your day, tomorrow, something people said, what you want to eat, and so on. If you find yourself rereading text then you should read faster, not slower. I work best when I'm actively scanning for information or answers.
Who is the "you" of whom you speak? Whoever this "you" is, it is definitely not me. When I read slowly it is because I am either reflecting on the content or because I'm reading in a non-L1 language. I definitely never have time to make assertions about what others are doing while reading.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2021, 01:26 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I read slowly and lovingly, because I love words and I love the way certain writers write.

Obviously, the 'you' in your post - a 10-year old thread that may, admittedly, have taken some time to finish reading the 15 prior posts - refers only to you in your very first post.

But do not be deterred: We will all keep an eye on your next post.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-05-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #19
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
... your mind tends to wander off in all different directions, things about your day ...
If my mind wanders while reading, invariably it's because the book isn't engaging. Then it's time to move on to the next book on my list (ever growing, thanks to eReaderIQ).
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I read for pleasure, not for work. So I'm free to read as slowly or as fast as I want. I'm in no competition with anyone.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
That's simply not true in my case. I'm a slow reader. When I'm engrossed in a book I'm basically in another world — often when I look up after a couple hours of reading I'm surprised at where I'm sitting. (I mostly read at night when it's quiet.) I've also recently realized that, when I'm sitting at my computer, I take a sip of water every few minutes. When I'm reading a book, my cold bottle of water is often warm the next time I realize it's there, and I haven't touched it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:29 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If my mind wanders while reading, invariably it's because the book isn't engaging. Then it's time to move on to the next book on my list (ever growing, thanks to eReaderIQ).
Same here.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I’m at the high end of reading speed whether I am reading pbook or an ebook. I don’t think that I am missing much compared to slower readers other than the lack of Mount TBR. OTOH, your mileage may vary.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #24
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:

No. I’m a slow reader and I’m totally engrossed in the book. If my mind wanders it is because the book is not engaging me. If it happens too often I’ll drop the book and move on to another.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:14 PM   #25
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post

Ha, I literally just posted almost the exact same thing just a second ago. 😂
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:41 PM   #26
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's simply not true in my case. I'm a slow reader. When I'm engrossed in a book I'm basically in another world
I am basically the same except I naturally read quickly. If, however I am rereading a much loved book, I may read more slowly because I am enjoying the text and how it is written so much.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I am basically the same except I naturally read quickly. If, however I am rereading a much loved book, I may read more slowly because I am enjoying the text and how it is written so much.
When a passage is particularly well-written I'll sometimes backup and re-read the last few pages.

As for fast or slow reading... my daughter reads fast (probably four or five times faster than me) but she reads for enjoyment also. Speed (fast or slow) is not the point, it's worrying about it that would seem to get in the way of enjoying a book. At least that's the way I see it.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:33 PM   #28
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Speed (fast or slow) is not the point, it's worrying about it that would seem to get in the way of enjoying a book. At least that's the way I see it.
Exactly. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about my reading speed (which can vary wildly, depending on whether I read for enjoyment or scan for information. After 30 years of reading in English, my reading speed is pretty much the same in English and Estonian, so language doesn't play a role).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #29
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Old timers may remember the tv commercials for Evelyn Wood speed reading.

https://www.pryor.com/training-produ...speed-reading/
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:14 PM   #30
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
As for fast or slow reading... my daughter reads fast (probably four or five times faster than me) but she reads for enjoyment also. Speed (fast or slow) is not the point, it's worrying about it that would seem to get in the way of enjoying a book. At least that's the way I see it.
I could not agree more. Read at whatever speed is comfortable, suits your needs and gives you most enjoyment.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote