Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I tend to differentiate between the Android code base and the iOS code base. My understanding is that CC for Android has been around for quite a long time. CC for iOS hasn't been around nearly as long, and I think there was only the original release and a couple of bug fix releases. I have no idea what the user base for the two products (CC Android and CC iOS) are.
I think the Android version was released in 2011/12 and iOS in 2017.

IIRC the average iOS user installs many more apps on their devices than Android users do on theirs - like double digit times more.

To get meaningful usage stats you need something like what Kovid publishes for calibre - number of installs that were active in the last 60 days.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #17
Mims
Groupie
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
So the " how many ratings " comparison suggests android ownership is over 400x iOS ownership.
Yet they prioritised iOS development.
Strange, if true
Even if that is out by a factor of 10, it points to android owners being 40x iOS owners.
Maybe the whole iOS update and subscription thing is just a test run before tackling the main market

I am surprised because I am pretty sure that for all apps, apple is way larger than google
Well, I have bought CC 3 times - Google, Amazon, Apple. CC on iOS is what I use now. I am sure there are many others who have done the same.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #18
milady133
Zealot
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Regarding on what to expect for the upcoming releases, well, as apart from what has been said that Chaley was a Calibre developer apart from the CC creator, so he knew very well the innards of Calibre, he was also an active user of CC, and had contact with other users of the app through this forum, so he was able to test the application and the common use other users had of the app, he even had an Eink android reader (one of Onyx readers), so he was able to test the usability of the app on Eink screens.
The IOS app wasn't created by Chaley, it was another user who had IOS devices the one to create it with Chaley permission and help, he was around here for some months, and move on when he changed jobs or got a job, I have some vague memory of him being a student finishing his degree, that is why the IOS app had less features, Chaley couldn't maintain it because he wasn't an IOS developer.
Non of that is true anymore, the actual owners of the app aren't users and barely expend time in the forum, so they don't have the knowledge of their user base and how the app is being mostly used, bugs are going to take time to be reported, takled by the developer and fixed.
The user base of the app is looking for alternatives (at least I am) and probably the majority of us isn't going to pay for a subscription model. At least for me, my phone/tablet aren't my main readers so a subscription model for something I use once a week for half an hour isn't worth it, especially when the app is full of bugs and needs users to report the bugs and polish it.
So when CC in Android moves to a subscription model, I'll probably uninstall it and try Koreader Android as a free substitute with some CC capacities.
I'm sad because even if I hardly read in my Android devices, it's nice having my entire library in my Android devices, and CC facilitated having it updated with the metadata up to date, but not so necessary as to pay a subscription for it.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #19
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
The user base of the app is looking for alternatives (at least I am) and probably the majority of us isn't going to pay for a subscription model. At least for me, my phone/tablet aren't my main readers so a subscription model for something I use once a week for half an hour isn't worth it, especially when the app is full of bugs and needs users to report the bugs and polish it.
So when CC in Android moves to a subscription model, I'll probably uninstall it and try Koreader Android as a free substitute with some CC capacities.
I'm sad because even if I hardly read in my Android devices, it's nice having my entire library in my Android devices, and CC facilitated having it updated with the metadata up to date, but not so necessary as to pay a subscription for it.
Word by word: Hear hear, I agree, ditto, same here.

Of course, if my current version 5.4.3.3 (391) of CC keeps working for Wyreless Device sync (Android <-> WiFi <-> Calibre on PC) I shall continue to use it.

If it ceases to work... well, I'm currently trying to find out if Moon+ Pro may be one answer for Android E-Ink substitution.

Sadly, truly yours

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Until Android changes as such that my current CC version will no longer work, or that Calibre changes (not likely) to that point.

I see absolutely no need to update CC and I have disabled auto-update for that app . It does what I need. The rest I can live without.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Until Android changes as such that my current CC version will no longer work, or that Calibre changes (not likely) to that point.

I see absolutely no need to update CC and I have disabled auto-update for that app . It does what I need. The rest I can live without.
Doing that and also using a backup, restore app to make a copy of the current installer should keep all options open.

Having said that, I think any changes to android are months away, maybe even late 2021.

They would be wise to polish iOS version really well to regain some customer trust before moving on.
Dunno how much android expertise the cc development team has, or how different the skill sets are.
Do coders only master one platform or are they mostly proficient in both ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #22
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Talking Speaking of the road to hell and how to pave it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
They would be wise[...]
"Would"... Such an optimist you are...

Sorry, couldn't resist to write that.

Don't mind me, read along...

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #23
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
"Would"... Such an optimist you are...

Sorry, couldn't resist to write that.

Don't mind me, read along...

[INCANUS]
first time I've ever been called an optimist when it comes to Cohen & Sons abilities
Old 03-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
The IOS app wasn't created by Chaley, it was another user who had IOS devices the one to create it with Chaley permission and help, he was around here for some months, and move on when he changed jobs or got a job, I have some vague memory of him being a student finishing his degree, that is why the IOS app had less features, Chaley couldn't maintain it because he wasn't an IOS developer.
FTR : The iOS version was built by chaley's son Steve and his wife Annie ==>> http://www.multipie.co.uk/about-us/?t=Our%20Team

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-18-2020 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:24 AM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
FTR : The iOS version was built by chaley's son Steve and his wife Annie ==>> http://www.multipie.co.uk/about-us/?t=Our%20Team

BR
Yep, Steve was the person that I dealt with doing the beta testing back in Oct 2016. Based on how well it worked for some 3+ years, he is a really good programmer.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yep, Steve was the person that I dealt with doing the beta testing back in Oct 2016. Based on how well it worked for some 3+ years, he is a really good programmer.
But not at business administration. See multipie's Portfolio page.

Fair enough to claim credit for CC's initial development, but should it be shown on the "Our Latest Apps" page. I guess the new CC owners don't care.

BR
Old 03-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #27
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
But not at business administration. See multipie's Portfolio page.

Fair enough to claim credit for CC's initial development, but should it be shown on the "Our Latest Apps" page. I guess the new CC owners don't care.

BR
To be fair, a little further down that portfolio page it now says

We’re not currently taking on new projects and are no longer involved with Calibre Companion. The new team is at https://calibrecompanion.co

Which looks like a unfinished URL. But which actually routes back to this forum , eventually

Last edited by stumped; 03-19-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator

Missed that - window too small

BTW '.co' is UK equivalent of '.com'.

BR
Old 03-20-2020, 02:15 AM   #29
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Missed that - window too small

BTW '.co' is UK equivalent of '.com'.

BR
so .co resolves the same as the usual .co.uk ?

it says here

http://www.dave-cushman.net/computin...ry_suffix.html

that .co is columbia ???

Last edited by stumped; 03-20-2020 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 02:33 AM   #30
BetterRed
null operator

Should you get a .co domain name?

Lots of Brits think TBL invented The Internet.

BR