Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The abandonware I have or had got that way because: the developer lost interest, sold it to a competitor (who promptly killed it), died, got married, had children etc. I can only recall one that was abandoned because it wasn't generating enough income (too much freeware competition). In that instance the developer made the source available to current license holders. It was a utility rather than an application.

But it's all been Unix, Windows, OS/2, Linux, or Android software - no Apple software, unless you want to count NeXTSTEP, but then I'd have to count Tata's Elxsi, etc :lol:

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
While as a consumer, I like buy once, use forever, that's not a model that is viable from a developer point of view. Thus all the abandonware one sees in the Apple app store.
Yeah, I know. I wouldn't want a pure subscription model without option for lifetime sub, though. That would mean the app could stop working when the dev abandons it (and not even due to OS related issues).

Infuse has two versions:

Infuse: ongoing updates, subscription for Pro features
in-app purchase
$0.99 Monthly
$9.99 Annual
$59.99 Lifetime

Infuse Pro <ver>: standalone major release, app updates for ~1 year or until the next major version is released
paid app
$26.99 Infuse Pro 6 (I remember earlier versions were $5.99-14.99)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't know that one can point to Calibre as an example. I've been using Calibre since it was libprs500, way back when Govid first wrote it, and I've sent a fair amount of money his way via paypal donations, but it's pretty unique, plus I seem to recall him having deals with some companies. You have to have a pretty big base of users for that sort of thing to work, at least from the stand point of working well enough to support the developer.
Yep.

Also, Kovid has a Patreon, too.

https://www.patreon.com/kovidgoyal

I know there are plenty who do larger donations less frequently. Still, when you think about how many millions of users Calibre has, the number of patrons and total pledged amount is pretty small.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #33
PMrev
Enthusiast
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieleS View Post
@PMRev

I currently use an iPhone and and iPad with CC - i am not going to have to pay 2 subscriptions am I?

DS
If you are using the same apple id on both devices then no.
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #34
DanieleS
DanieleS began at the beginning.

Device: IOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMrev View Post
If you are using the same apple id on both devices then no.
Thank you
DanieleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:46 AM   #35
chitrams
Reader
chitrams began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
First impression of new update - not for me. I only downloaded 50 books to see how it looks and works- not wasting time again only to find that it’s not what I need.

Wireless connection quick - transfer quick.
Sorting seemed ok

What bothered me was the layout on my iPad. I liked my shelves and grid view in v1. I could see a whole page of books. When I am looking for a book I don’t want to scroll down one or two per screen. One of the reasons I like my iPad is that I don’t need to use my glasses to read anything but with the fonts used in list view my eyes screamed NO.

Another thing that bothers me is the connect button and settings icon always present at the bottom of the home page taking up space and too easy for me to
accidentally touch. To be fair, I will take another look later and try again to find settings that might let me deal with these issues. I will also see if it will work for me on my phone.

Update: On my iPhone 8 I have the same issue with the fonts. Also tried to connect wirelessly x3 with no success until I typed in IP address and port. Will probably keep on one of my phones - the other one (my go to phone that I grab when running out the door from floods, fires or hurricanes) still has old CC and it still works. This looks like a phone app not an iPad app.
+1 on shelves and grid view from the previous version, please. I'm really upset I've updated and wish I stuck with the previous version.

It would be an improvement in user friendliness and design to be able to scroll through many books on a grid as with the previous version, rather than having a large amount of whitespace and only six books as per on the iPad mini.
chitrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert