Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #1
dpeace
dpeace began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
iOS now subscription model?

Have just downloaded the update on the App Store, and am concerned that I have been presented by a screen telling me I need to subscribe to continue using the app, but have three free “Skips”.

Is it now the case that those who have previously bought the app now need to subscribe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEBB0537-2392-4193-A1BB-8CC466F79B96.png
Views:	66
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	177676  

Last edited by dpeace; 03-13-2020 at 11:27 AM.
dpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
its now the case that those who previously bought the app ought to walk away in disgust.

and boycott until there is a free fix of all the stuff that the developers broke in the previous update

see other threads and stickies.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
dpeace
dpeace began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Yeah, I took a cursory look.

On Android, I’ve already switched to the far superior CalibreBox, but I’m not aware of any iOS alternative yet.

Last edited by dpeace; 03-13-2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Typo
dpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #4
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Very disappointing, especially for those of us who paid full price for the app to begin with. It's a handy reference tool for me, but not something for which I'm willing to pay every month.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #5
Ramp
Ramp began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro (3rd Generation)
I just posted this in another thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...75&postcount=9

Quote:
I just saw that Calibre Companion had received an update in the iOS App Store today. While I haven't yet had time to test it out, I did open the app, and I saw that you have to subscribe to use it and can only skip 3x. I wanted to let you know (again) that what you are attempting to do to customers who bought the app before is a violation of Apple's App Store Guidelines.

Please see and read this: https://developer.apple.com/app-stor...ew/guidelines/

In particular, even though the App Store Guidelines were updated on March 4, 2020, Apple's stance has NOT changed. You simply can not take away functionality that existing users had already paid for, even if you decide to change the pricing scheme to a subscription.

This is the App Store Guidelines from before March 4, 2020:

This is the App Store Guidelines as of March 4, 2020:

I will use one of my three attempts in a couple of hours when I am home to see if the app is finally working correctly, though. I will update if I find any issues or bugs once I do. Thanks

Last edited by Ramp; 03-13-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
Ramp
Ramp began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro (3rd Generation)
Sorry for the double post - just realized my second image isn't clear at all (Can't edit my previous post to fix it >.<) . Here is a slightly better, more readable image:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5HE0D9S.png
Views:	15
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	177707  

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-14-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Explanation/Image Resized
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Very disappointing, especially for those of us who paid full price for the app to begin with. It's a handy reference tool for me, but not something for which I'm willing to pay every month.
and a total failure to walk the talk - new project manager came here claiming to listen, promised better communication, promised fixes to all bugs that were added in the last update... then hides away while the new subscriptions charge goes live
Old 03-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
ratinox
Evangelist
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Most reader type software on iOS can pull directly from iCloud and OneDrive or be opened from the sync applications, and I would expect others, which are zero cost at the basic tiers and cheap at the higher capacities. There just is no way that Calibre Companion is worth the 99 cents a month.

Create a directory in your sync area, set it as Calibre's sync device, read your books, profit (ie: don't waste your money on Calibre Companion).
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
and a total failure to walk the talk - new project manager came here claiming to listen, promised better communication, promised fixes to all bugs that were added in the last update... then hides away while the new subscriptions charge goes live
They have been quite clear and upfront that they were going to a subscription model.

I don't have an issue with a $10 a year or $1 a month subscription. It really the only way that it's every going to be something other than someone's hobby app.

Frankly, I'm not sure there is a big enough user base to support ongoing development as a business even with the subscription. I did tell them that I had a major issue if it stops working once the subscription is up or if they go belly up and stop development on it. I didn't get a response on that.

I beta tested the program before they submitted it to Apple a week ago. The major issues have been fixed. There are one or two issues that I spotted, specifically with the sort by date, but didn't run into any problems other than that. I'm sure that it will take a few releases to fix all the issues, that's generally the way these things work.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard

They never told us that previous buyers would have to subscribe just to get the fixes to the bugs they added last time around.
I can't be bothered to re read and re quote all the previous promises but I am sure it was implied that charges would come only after a stable bugs fixed version had been released
To do what they just did is, as already documented by another poster, a breach of apple's conditions.
And why are they hiding again. It has been a week since any of the current crew bothered to post here.

Let's hear their side of the story. If they have one.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
PMrev
Enthusiast
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
You guys are too fast.

So to shed some light on why we haven't made an announcement yet was because we rolled out the update yesterday, in a phased release. Auto updates are only out to a small % of our user base.

Those of you who are manually updating the app.

1. No one will be denied functionality, skip will work forever on this update, but will eventually lead to ads.
2. Your bug fixes have been put in place, content server password, plus others. Please send other bugs you find to ccfeedback@goldtreeway.com
3. These bug fixes and updates take time and money. Code base management to keep APIs and infrastructure up to date are included in this (this is why Android Dropbox stopped working, old code). If you can not spend $1/month to support this then I'm not sure what to say.

Your bug fixes are in the the update. It is not being denied.

We do not plan to abandon this app or stop working on it. We need to get an update out so we can start doing smaller releases to be more reactive compared to the 5 month wait you just went through. Please continue to be patient with us.
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:16 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Thanks for the response.

But why oh why could you not have posted that BEFORE your phased rollout began, and thus avoided much upset and criticism?
The first news here was from someone getting an update screen saying to pay, and that only 3 skips are allowed.
If there is no 3 skip limit, why put in a screen saying that?
If there is not a skip limit but only for previous customers, then why not pre warn your customer base here in your official support forum before they got to see that screen?

More timely communications please
Old 03-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #13
PMrev
Enthusiast
PMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheesePMrev can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Thanks for the response.

But why oh why could you not have posted that BEFORE your phased rollout began, and thus avoided much upset and criticism?
The first news here was from someone getting an update screen saying to pay, and that only 3 skips are allowed.
If there is no 3 skip limit, why put in a screen saying that?
If there is not a skip limit but only for previous customers, then why not pre warn your customer base here in your official support forum before they got to see that screen?

More timely communications please
Hey Stumped,

Understandable that there might be some confusion.

I was expecting with the phased release some time to address any unconsidered things that may pop up. Then once that was done, comm to the forum. Like I said you guys are too fast.

Making more updates tonight to reduce the confusion.

A
PMrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:23 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

It's not that we were too fast, it's that you were too slow, maybe
People have waited months for this, you have to expect a reaction when you let an update go live with no announcement or warning here, especially with that only three skips allowed screen.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #15
Stevex
Groupie
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don‘t want any functionality except what I already had *and paid for*. It was fine how it was.
I‘m going to have to delete this program.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote