Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Question iBooks backup?

I know that iBooks doesn't have a desktop app (yet?) but does iPad/iTunes backup the files anywhere on the syncing desktop?

IPhoto's files live in a .pkg in ~/Pictures and iTunes files are in folders in ~/Music. Just wondering if iBooks dumps encrypted files somewhere, like ~/Books?

Apple doesn't off forever cloud access to your music collection, so I'm wondering how they're handling things with iBooks.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
If you're letting iTunes organize your media, you should have a Books folder in your iTunes folder (along with Music, Mobile Applications, etc). Any files you purchase on the desktop will be stored there, and books purchased on the iPad will be copied there when you sync. I'm not sure if iBooks are treated like apps (you can redownload them whenever you want) or Music/Videos (one download unless you get get special dispensation from Customer Service), but I'd guess it's closer to the latter than the former.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I don't have an iPad so that's why I was wondering how Apple is handling the book files.

Thanks!
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #4
marcopapa
marcopapa began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubu View Post
If you're letting iTunes organize your media, you should have a Books folder in your iTunes folder (along with Music, Mobile Applications, etc). Any files you purchase on the desktop will be stored there, and books purchased on the iPad will be copied there when you sync. I'm not sure if iBooks are treated like apps (you can redownload them whenever you want) or Music/Videos (one download unless you get get special dispensation from Customer Service), but I'd guess it's closer to the latter than the former.
Actually NOTHING of the above is true. All eBooks are stored in iTunes the same as any music song as they are stored under the "iTunes Music" folder with the following folder sequence:

author / Unknown Album / title.epub

Last edited by marcopapa; 05-29-2010 at 02:28 PM.
marcopapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
If you don't let iTunes manage your music then music, movies, and books are left where you copied from them and only imported into iTunes as a link as it were. This way you can have your own back up strategy and not duplicate files

This can be a problem, as it was for me since I have "original" epubs I made that I liked to keep untouched - most epub apps make changes to the files as they use them. I copied my epubs into iTunes and didn't think of this and now I've got a new file "iTunesMetadata.plist" added to each one.

I've only got the Winnie the Pooh ebook from iBooks and it's stored exactly like Trubu said; iTunes Media / Books / A.A. Milne which makes more sense than putting books in your music folder.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
marcopapa
marcopapa began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
If you don't let iTunes manage your music then music, movies, and books are left where you copied from them and only imported into iTunes as a link as it were. This way you can have your own back up strategy and not duplicate files

This can be a problem, as it was for me since I have "original" epubs I made that I liked to keep untouched - most epub apps make changes to the files as they use them. I copied my epubs into iTunes and didn't think of this and now I've got a new file "iTunesMetadata.plist" added to each one.

I've only got the Winnie the Pooh ebook from iBooks and it's stored exactly like Trubu said; iTunes Media / Books / A.A. Milne which makes more sense than putting books in your music folder.
On a Mac with OS X, if you let iTunes manage your assets (which covers 99% of users) whenever one purchases books or downloads free ones from the iTunes Bookstore using the iBook app, and then syncs with iTunes, all the books gets stored the same as iTunes Music as I outlined in my previous post. You can go to iTunes -> Library -> Books, right click on a book, and select Show in Finder, and you'll verify this. On a Mac, the Winnie the Pook book is treated differently: it just doesn't exist as far as iTunes is concerned, and is not synced, when iTunes manages your assets. I verified this on 4 different iPad / Mac configurations. Also in this case no iTunesMetadata.plist files are created either, since the folder name sequence maintains the same info, and the files do not get modified.

Last edited by marcopapa; 05-29-2010 at 04:49 PM.
marcopapa is offline   Reply With Quote