Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #421
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
For me, the issue is that an ereader makes a lousy audiobook player. Ereaders are too large and fragile to be used in most situations when I want to listen to an audiobook, i.e., when I'm on the move. I also suspect the controls aren't nearly so good and then there's the memory issue. So that being the case, to the extent that a native player on an ereader would add to the cost or bulk, I don't want one.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #422
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I wouldn't use an audio book feature on my eReader, but I don't mind if it is there for two reasons.
  1. Maybe I'd like it if I had it, and who knows the future.
  2. Other consumers might find it useful. I just don't want to pay anything extra for it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #423
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I'd pay good money right now for an e-ink e-reader which had audiobook integration and would allow me to read a book when waiting somewhere, and would read the book to me when driving (say patched in through an aux cable).
Search ebay for a Kindle keyboard. It had an audio out, did tts and would play back mp3 files. So that's not really "audiobook integration" but it's not bad.

Otherwise the Oasis 2 will do Audible but then you need a bluetooth adapter and it's more expensive to begin with.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #424
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Maybe a dumb question but is there a way to attach a speaker to the Oasis so can listen out loud? like a mini speaker that gets plugged into the power outlet
The original Oasis did work with a usb audio dongle that you could plug earphones or speaker into, like the PW3 or Voyage for the VoiceView Screen reader. But with subsequent updates that enabled Bluetooth and Audible, I don’t know if that still works.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #425
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I cannot totally agree. Easy to buy or download ebooks in Kindle compatible formats from other vendors and either crossload them from your computer to the Kindle reader or use it's email address to send them to it via email. I have used both techniques to obtain books formy Kindles. I believe ebook sellers like Dreamspinner can be given the email address of a Kindle device and email all books purchased through them direct to your Kindle.
If you want to buy a niche ebook, yes. If you want to buy a mass market book, no.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #426
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
If you want to buy a niche ebook, yes. If you want to buy a mass market book, no.
Nah...as long as you're friends with Alf, it's easy.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #427
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Nah...as long as you're friends with Alf, it's easy.

Shari
Umm, no. Richwood said "Easy to buy or download ebooks in Kindle compatible formats from other vendors". (emphasis added)

Whether you know Alf or not is irrelevant to that claim. Alf just makes dealing with the many cases where this isn't true a bit more tolerable.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #428
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Search ebay for a Kindle keyboard. It had an audio out, did tts and would play back mp3 files. So that's not really "audiobook integration" but it's not bad.
I wouldn't suggest the Kindle Keyboard for audio today. The audio functions are primative compared to what a Fire tablet can do. TTS on even the cheapest Fire is pretty good, far better than the old KK. If you don't need TTS, any old smart phone does Audible, Overdrive and music better than the KK.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #429
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I wouldn't suggest the Kindle Keyboard for audio today. The audio functions are primative compared to what a Fire tablet can do. TTS on even the cheapest Fire is pretty good, far better than the old KK. If you don't need TTS, any old smart phone does Audible, Overdrive and music better than the KK.
I'd agree except the person I was responding to specifically wanted an eink device.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:39 AM   #430
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneurette View Post
Not a chance in hell. Some people will always prefer a dedicated ePaper eReader in preference to a screen device. I have iPhones, iPads etc., but still prefer an eReader for in depth reading. Particularly those that have a low Blue Light night reading mode.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #431
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Most business owners would be dancing in the streets if they had a product that was owned by 19% or the public and 27% of affluent individuals. It's true that a considerably larger number of people own cell phones, but that's pretty much irrelevant. It doesn't really matter that fewer people want a dedicated e-reader, what matters is whether or not the share of the market that wants a dedicated e-reader is large enough to merit producing them. Only about 4% of cars in the US are manual transmissions, but that's still a large enough market to be worth targeting.

E-readers do have advantages. Battery life is a huge one. With a tablet, I need to plug it in each day. An e-reader, I can go for days. I prefer reading from e-ink than from an LCD tablet. (I'm still using a Kindle Keyboard) I'll read on my phone only if I have neither an e-reader or a tablet. Of course, not everyone shares my preferences, and that's fine. But there's enough of the market that does so that e-readers are probably going to stick around for a while. If they were really dying, I would think Amazon would stop producing new models.
This makes sense to me. As long as there are enough people buying eink readers, it doesn't matter if a larger number of people are doing their reading on phones or tablets.

P.S. After reading Quantumiguana's post the other day, I dreamed I had to get a new car and the only kind I could get had an automatic transmission. I was glad to wake up and realize it was only a dream and I still had my manual transmission car!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:35 AM   #432
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
This makes sense to me. As long as there are enough people buying eink readers, it doesn't matter if a larger number of people are doing their reading on phones or tablets.
Personally, I find the 19% figure for e-reader ownership too high. Heck, I have doubts readership (of books not required for work) is that high. Mind, I've always found reading to be pretty niche - everyone seems to be watching TV. As said though, as long as e-ink buyers within that reader niche is large enough, they're worth producing.

Also, it's not just the e-readers themselves to consider, there's also the book purchases. I expect people who buy dedicated e-readers are also the ones buying lots of ebooks. I doubt folks who only read 1-2 books a year would find a dedicated device worth the cost. Yes, there are DeDRM tools and format shifting via Calibre but it seems more likely to me that most users would just stick to the built-in store on their reader.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #433
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
For me, the issue is that an ereader makes a lousy audiobook player. Ereaders are too large and fragile to be used in most situations when I want to listen to an audiobook, i.e., when I'm on the move. I also suspect the controls aren't nearly so good and then there's the memory issue. So that being the case, to the extent that a native player on an ereader would add to the cost or bulk, I don't want one.
One shouldn't confuse listeners to readers. Two totally different activities. My mother used to read to me but that was 74 years ago.

"Ten years ago, the Kindle was essentially the only game in town for e-books. But now, it's just as easy to read on your computer, your tablet, your phone — or even all three, thanks to cross-compatible apps."

Really? Try reading with your computer, tablet, or phone on the beach in brght sunlight or sitting in the sun in your garden. When in an emergency I'm forced to read on my phone I remember the cutesy tiny books that used to be sold as a novelty.

I enjoy reading books by new authors who can't attract the attention of a traditional publisher, yet. I like reading books by authors from other countries and other cultures who haven't been able to attract the attention of a publisher or agent in the U.S.

We need to get rid of the laws designed to benefit publishers and agents and harm readers and authors.

Reading is dying because readers are dying and not being replaced.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #434
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I wouldn't use an audio book feature on my eReader, but I don't mind if it is there for two reasons.
  1. Maybe I'd like it if I had it, and who knows the future.
  2. Other consumers might find it useful. I just don't want to pay anything extra for it.

It's on my phone. And, when I drive to the coast in January, I can listen if I want, and when I return from the coast in February I can listen if I want. So far, I haven't wanted to but I could.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #435
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Really? Try reading with your computer, tablet, or phone on the beach in brght sunlight or sitting in the sun in your garden. When in an emergency I'm forced to read on my phone ....
I had to chuckle a bit at that. Only on Mobileread would everyone understand how not having a preferred reading device available would qualify as an emergency.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote