Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #16
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
If you manually remove the books you have read and do not wish to keep on the kindle you should have plenty of space. I do not pay those setting any attention, and have no reason to use them. I keep only the books and mag. that I am reading or will be reading due to having series that I have not completed on my kindle. I do not like it loaded with a bunch of books that I am not interested in at the time. I use calibre to keep my books and transfer as needed.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #17
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I use calibre to keep my books and transfer as needed.
That's what I do too. The Kindle, or any eReader for that matter, IMHO is not ideal for indexing and searching a large number of books. Navigation is an issue. A user interface with only basic features (compared to a computer's interface) makes handling large collections of things difficult. Just the simple act of scrolling that is so trivially easy on a computer is not so nice on a eReader So like cvkemp, I use Calibre on my desktop computer for all that management. Then I'll put maybe a dozen books or so on the eReader - my top choices for "what to read next" at any given time. So I still have choice available on the eReader, and backup books available should I be on a trip and finish a book halfway through.

But just because I choose to do things this way does not mean that everyone does. And for those who want large collections on their eReaders, that's fine. The software should not try to force it's way in to handle things. From what I've read here in this thread, it appears that it doesn't. But it does give you the tools to shoot yourself in the foot if you're not careful and follow down the path to set up auto deletion in the first place.

The people with intentional large collections on their Kindles probably have that because they want to manage it themselves. So they need the auto delete feature less than anybody else. They have their own personal organization in mind. It is the clueless individual who accidentally ends up with a large collection that these "we'll save you from yourself!" features are most beneficial.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #18
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
It actually says "remove content from this device that has not been opened for the last:"
and then it lists the 1 month to 1 year or more so you can see how much in space/files you haven't opened in a long time. First time I even went there and by default the 1 year or more is check marked and there is no option to press the remove button because there is nothing in the 1 year or more. Since the software isn't that old yet. If I go to 1 month or 3 month, where my stuff is at the moment, then I get the option to click remove. Its an option, not a requirement. Just don't ever go to that section ever again on your kindle and everything is as it always was.

I guess its kind of like the thing on computers sometimes where it gives you the option to remove some icons if you haven't opened them in a long time. Although I haven't seen that one in a while.

So just ignore that section if you want to add and delete files as you did before. Its just an added help for those that want it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it does but you do it yourself it is not doing it on its own.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #20
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can see where the confusion comes in then. If you are in the "one year" part that is checked, and there is no "remove" button displayed, it is perfectly logical to assume that this setting is not an option, but a mandatory removal.

How are you supposed to know whether "remove" button is missing because it is enforced removal, vs. missing because you have no content over one year old? No way for users to know, especially with a new feature. It is perfectly logical to assume the missing button means "mandatory removal". Poor design of this feature by Amazon. The button should always be there, but if you click it and there's actually nothing to remove, then you should be told that at the time. Hiding the button when there's nothing to remove is certainly not helping users in understanding this new feature.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
This option looks scary. It wasn't clear to me when I first looked that it only would remove the books _if_ I pressed the Remove button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I can see where the confusion comes in then. If you are in the "one year" part that is checked, and there is no "remove" button displayed, it is perfectly logical to assume that this setting is not an option, but a mandatory removal.

How are you supposed to know whether "remove" button is missing because it is enforced removal, vs. missing because you have no content over one year old? No way for users to know, especially with a new feature. It is perfectly logical to assume the missing button means "mandatory removal". Poor design of this feature by Amazon. The button should always be there, but if you click it and there's actually nothing to remove, then you should be told that at the time. Hiding the button when there's nothing to remove is certainly not helping users in understanding this new feature.
I think this is a problem for computer application users that has been getting worse. It is getting harder when encountering an application for the first time to know whether a button (or other UI element) is going to have an immediate effect or lead to more choices. Various hints for this have been around for multiple decades, but programmers, or more likely their bosses, frequently can't bring themselves to use them, especially not consistently, even in the same application or on the same screen.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
There is a remove button there - it's just greyed out. I think it's a common enough user interface convention that most users will be aware that a greyed-out button means "this option is not currently available".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #23
cvkemp
Loving life

Thank you Harry
Old 03-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #24
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
There is a remove button there - it's just greyed out
Ahhh. I misinterpreted the previous post I was commenting on:

"no option to press the remove button"

I interpreted that to mean the button was missing. But you're correct, that could have just meant the button was grayed out. My mistake for misinterpreting.

Hopefully my repaired Kindle will arrive back home today, so I can see these new features for myself. They supposedly updated the firmware during the repair. I did not have the firmware with these features installed previously - at least I had never seen them - nor looked for that matter.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #25
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
If I recall I read somewhere that the removal includes side loaded items which are NOT preserved in the cloud for repeated download so this is a "feature" that could be dangerous if you do not have all side loaded books and items properly backed up. Just be aware of the risk.

Personally I think it should be modified to only remove Amazon purchased books which are also in the cloud.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #26
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
If I recall I read somewhere that the removal includes side loaded items which are NOT preserved in the cloud for repeated download so this is a "feature" that could be dangerous if you do not have all side loaded books and items properly backed up. Just be aware of the risk.

Personally I think it should be modified to only remove Amazon purchased books which are also in the cloud.
They will not be removed if you do not tell it to remove them by clicking remove. What is so hard about that?
Old 03-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
No, it doesn’t. The text on the Kindle’s “Storage Management” page tells you exactly what it does:

Quote:
Quick Archive
Free up storage by removing items downloaded from the Cloud that have not been opened recently. These items will still be accessible from the All view of your library.
That seems entirely clear and unambiguous to me. It only removes items that are in Cloud storage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote