Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #1
BlackDogWhite
BlackDogWhite began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle (oldold) & Gen6 Fire, Gen8 Fire
[iOS] covers not transferring now??

I'm using Calibre 3.6 on Win10, transferring small number of books to an iPad with Calibre Companion 1.3.0 (160). I transferred maybe 15 books initially, a few weeks ago, and the books seemed to transfer fine and the book covers showed up as well. I was then able to move these to iBooks and see covers and read the books.

Now I'm transferring a few more books and the covers do not show up. The book content does, just not the covers.

Some things that have happened in between times. First off Calibre was updated probably from 3.5. So the initial transfer was using 3.5, the second that does not work entirely right is with 3.6. IOS on the iPad was also updated.

To copy books to the iPad, I connect via "to Content Server". From there I see the book covers. And from there I can copy to the device by clicking on a book and then hitting the download Button, which is performed quickly. Getting back to CC, I see the book with a white cover. Touch the book and then touching "Read". Now I see the book in iBooks, and I'll see the cover! Just not in CC!!!

Am I missing a step?
BlackDogWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
Johnny T
Johnny T began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo + iPad
Hi. I wonder if there has been any response to this because I have a similar problem using a new iPad.

If I connect via the content server I can browse the books and see the details without any problems. If I then download a book and use Calibre Companion to see the details the wrong cover is displayed. The displayed cover is always something I have downloaded in the past but has been deleted after transferring to iBooks. Once the book is in iBooks the cover is fine.

Is this a known bug I wonder.
Johnny T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
BlackDogWhite
BlackDogWhite began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle (oldold) & Gen6 Fire, Gen8 Fire
I was playing with this again recently and discovered that if I specifically mark a book as unread on the ipad, then connect via wireless, the book covers will update.

Not so useful if you're going to copy a whole lot of books at once. But maybe this will be a clue to discover the "real" solution.
BlackDogWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
wrbriant@gmail.c
wrbriant@gmail.c began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi,
We use a Mac running Calibre (3.17) and an Ipad to read the books. For some reason the covers do not appear when using Calibre Companion to load the books from Calibre via the content server function. It used to work fine. Also my wife says she now needs to select an app (Kindle or Ibooks) to "read" the book, is this always so?
Bill
wrbriant@gmail.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It's always required that you select the app, at least for me. I suspect that you have a mix of formats. I don't have any mobi/azw books downloaded to CC on my iPad, so I don't get Kindle as a selection. I do get Marvin, iBook and Goodreader since I have a mixture of epub and PDF.

As far as the covers go, try using the wireless connect rather than the content server. It's a bit more inconvenient since selecting and download is done from the mac rather than on the iPad, but it seems to have more capabilities to sync up information such as book covers, meta data and the like.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #6
wrbriant@gmail.c

Thank you for that info.
Unfortunately I have tried both content server and wireless and still no covers downloaded.
We use Mobi and/or Epub, so I tried downloading both formats but still no joy.A nice useful update to calibre Conpanion would be inclusion of format when displaying books.
Bill
Old 02-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbriant@gmail.c View Post
Thank you for that info.
Unfortunately I have tried both content server and wireless and still no covers downloaded.
No covers in the Calibre Companion app or no covers seen in the Kindle app?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
wrbriant@gmail.c

Hi, There are no covers in Calibre companion app
Regards
Bill

Tags
cover art