Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #16
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Not sure where it says you can subscribe to every newspaper... But then... Its just marketing...! (But I suppose to literal minded geeks...)
the exact quote from their 'newspaper' site is
Quote:
Subscribe to any of the international newspapers and receive your copy daily on your iLiad at the press of a button.
see here -> irex 'newspaper' site

that is ANY newspaper!
and i receive a 'copy' of the newspaper delivered to my iliad

edit: fixed spelling
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Light reflected from the camera...? Btw, its like no-one here has ever heard of marketing...?
I think it's common practice for e-ink manufacturers (sp?) to artifically lighten the screen in photos. Check out http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/reader/ and compare it to http://www.irextechnologies.com. I've seen both devices in person, and the screen on both look the same.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I agree, Adam B., it is a pretty common practice. I've never seen any e-ink picture from any source that accurately represented what e-ink looks like -- it's kind of the nature of the beast to be non-photogenic.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #19
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
The iLiad even gives you now newspapers in color!! Look at the Irex website.

Irex, please! First do it, then advertise it.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
The iLiad even gives you now newspapers in color!! Look at the Irex website.
To reiterate:

From Post 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoi666
why the hell do they have a color photo on on of their iliad screenshots (second from the left) on the frontpage?
From Post 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I think those pix are supposed to be taken as examples of what you can put on the iLiad, rather than actual screen shots ....

In any case, there does seem to be a case for them having gone from no marketing department whatsoever, straight to a rather ... "narrow-perspective" based marketing approach.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM   #21
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Look again. Irex reacted very fast. The newspaper on the site is in grayscale now!

If Irex is still reading this:
The links on http://www.irextechnologies.com/downloads/docs
give me the frontpage again, in stead of the docs.

Last edited by henkvdg; 02-28-2007 at 05:07 PM.
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:59 AM   #22
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
I think it's common practice for e-ink manufacturers (sp?) to artifically lighten the screen in photos. Check out http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/assets/itpd/reader/ and compare it to http://www.irextechnologies.com. I've seen both devices in person, and the screen on both look the same.
You have both? How come?
Which one do you like better?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:00 AM   #23
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:

that is ANY newspaper!

I get "Site Offline" for that... I think they are updating it...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:07 AM   #24
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Quote:

that is ANY newspaper!

How many newspapers are there? And how much you pay?
(Sorry, I can't check the site, the URL does not work for me. )
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #25
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Is this new? I didn't see it before, and it freaks me out: From http://www.irextechnologies.com/about/privacy:
Quote:
We use key-log technology to keep track of your interactions with our products and services to offer a personalized experience.
The Iliad phones home?
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #26
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
I get "Site Offline" for that... I think they are updating it...!
looks like they've changed the links. if you navigate the menu, you get this page now (same content). they even provide pictures of how the newspaper is displayed on the iliad (full on print layout).

about the two newspapers that provide the service:
there was the beta program for 'de tijd' (i hope spelled that right) and now (according to the irex site) 'The Yantai Daily' is providing the service of an electronic edition.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:18 AM   #27
Tommy
Enthusiast
Tommy began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad, Sony 505
Cool... now I know what I've been missing all the time:
A Chinese newspaper! from a page in Chinese (obviously) where the typical user immediatly finds the right link to subscribe/order that paper.
Admittedly, my Chinese is a bit rusty, so I think, I'll go on fetching RSS feeds (and the linked articles) and massage them into PDF.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote