Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-28-2015, 06:11 AM   #196
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wong McGregor View Post
I'm afraid I'm just getting back to this.
The browser incorporated in the image is Midori which you can see briefly in this video at about the 7.30 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjTJA4-1cxc

There should be others available from the Ubuntu 10.04 repository although it went EOL (end of life) sometime ago so I'm not sure how accessible it is. Given the hardware, you are likely to need a light browser like Midori.
Thank you so much for that (and welcome back!), it looks more responsive than the stock browser.
Could I ask you - or someone - to try to access an SSL site (e.g. https://firstlook.org/theintercept/ or https://www.techdirt.com/) to see if it will still load https?
(I ask, as this is now a problem with the stock browser.) It would be a great help to me to know if it is on the up-and-up!

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:09 AM   #197
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Hi CJ,

I found your other thread while trying to find information on the MFG tool. I presume I'll have to use it to move from my external to an internal install of Obuntu, if I'm to get the wireless to work as I haven't had time to get around the wireless driver problems I encountered with the external (SD) install.

You must obviously be an expert at the MFG tool by now, so I'll get back to you if I have any problems. I've only just begun to read about it. Anyway, I'm afraid I still have lots of other things getting in my way at the moment, but I'll try to get an internal install with the wireless working. If I can do that I should be able to get back to this thread with whether the browser is able to access such sites.

If you are native to linux, although I don't know to what degree, then I would definitely recommend that you try out Obuntu anyway. It is certainly likely to provide you with more options than the default setup that is now largely abandoned by Onyx. Moreover, the two do not preclude one another, since one gets a nice dual boot arrangement as you will have seen in the video.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2015, 06:00 AM   #198
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
You must obviously be an expert at the MFG tool by now
Ha ha, only to the extend that I have had no end of issues with it! First trying to get it to run under Wine, then in a virtual machine, then on Win7, and finally having to do an install of XP to get it to run.

Quote:
If you are native to linux, although I don't know to what degree, then I would definitely recommend that you try out Obuntu anyway. It is certainly likely to provide you with more options than the default setup that is now largely abandoned by Onyx. Moreover, the two do not preclude one another, since one gets a nice dual boot arrangement as you will have seen in the video.
I am indeed a Linux user, have been exclusively for many years. I think you are right, that alone should compel me to install this instead of the lacking original from Onyx.
I must admit that I had mostly forgotten about Obuntu, as I thought it abandoned and only came across this thread again recently. I have been a bit preoccupied with other stuff, but intent to revisit this thread - and the video - and then give it a whirl.
As you rightfully say: there really is no reason not to try it.

Again, thanks for you reply, much appreciated!

Cheers!
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #199
geoek
Enthusiast
geoek began at the beginning.

Hello all !
Last year, i installed Obuntu but i did not use it because of several problems (calibration of pen, grey scale, no physical keyboards, etc...)

Today, i see that other people are always interested in M92 and Obuntu. It could be interseting to have a post to explain the settings to get a usable system.
The video of Seaniko is a good start but he did not explain the last settings (calibration, grey scale, keyboard...)

It would be really interesting if people who have managed to successfully install this system could explain the steps to follow.

Thanks in advance for all this fantastic work !
geoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:08 AM   #200
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

@CJ

Well, I've now made three attempts to do an internal install on my M92, which is supposed to be the easy way, and all three attempts failed seemingly in the same way. After I select 'Update Obuntu' from the boot loader menu, it reboots only a few minutes later which is obviously too fast for it to do the install. So something is going wrong at that point and, not surprizingly, I can't subsequently boot Obuntu from the boot loader.

I can't figure out from my notes what could have gone wrong. I've now tried with two different SD cards. I ended up using the MFG tool and it didn't seem to be a problem. It might be possible to attempt a pre-bootloader internal install, but the notes in the thread concerning how one might do this are not very clear because the instructions were re- or over-written with the arrival of the bootloader. So they don't seem very complete and require files which are no longer available from the same locations.

So I'll probably have to go back to working on my external (that is, SD card) install which I've never really had that much of a problem with (although it is a bit more complicated) apart from the wireless driver failing to load properly (every time). Unfortunately, Obuntu is very dependent on the wireless working as other means for installing packages offline don't seem to be a available on this distro.

I was hoping an internal install might provide a reasonally quick way forward, but it would seem as though it doesn't. I will continue to update the thread with any further progress I make, but apart from the uncertainties regarding my progress, I do have quite a bit on my plate at the moment. So this could take a while.
Advert
Old 04-22-2016, 03:07 AM   #201
guy55it
guy55it began at the beginning.

Device: onyx m92
howto uninstall obuntu ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Hi all.

As some of users requested, I'll be releasing early, preview Obuntu images for those who are interested in following my work, as well as those, who would like to contribute in terms of testing and development.

Official project page will be launched within few days, so at the moment please use following topic for everything related to Obuntu.
Hi,

I want to give my M92 but not under Obuntu.
I tried to reset it updating it with official firmware, but no success at all.
Could someone tell me the right way to reset the M92 on factory settings ?

Thank you,

Guy
guy55it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #202
painkiller
Enthusiast
painkiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Boox C67ML
Any news for this project?
painkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:50 AM   #203
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur

This is a response to a problem raised in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by docidocus View Post
Also I couldn't try out Obuntu lately, as all the links I found on the forums are dead. Maybe you could re-upload the files somewhere, so Obuntu can at least be used by others? That would be great!
You were right most of the links are dead. These do seem to still be alive though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirith View Post
hans1, You are right. In my collection of files they are. Now I will give the links:
http://yadi.sk/d/M1jRQbxK8KSae
http://yadi.sk/d/GpRLTEdP8KSic

hans1, Вы правы. В моей коллекции файлов они есть. Сейчас дам ссылку.
Many thanks to Kirith for keeping them up.

These files are:
OBUNTU.update-20130816.tar.gz
obuntu_install_20130816.oar

I think that there were at least two sets of files so I'll have to try to figure which are now not available and try to figure out a way to make them available.

I've found I have the most success installing with the following set of instructions (indeed, none of the others have worked for me):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickathmoc View Post
The FINAL HOW TO install Obuntu
I doubt that they are entirely complete but they are pretty straight forward to follow if one has some familiarity with linux command line tools. These instructions seem to use the other set of files, though I think both work if I remember correctly.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:04 AM   #204
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
Hello to all. I am glad that this thread has been reanimated.
I have a M92 that still use. I tried to install obuntu and using it for some time. Also I have never understood why Seaniko left the project in half, although he had said I wanted to develop yet.
Obuntu for me, with the necessary improvements, it would be perfect for the M92, and so I want to support the work of those who want to develop it. I propose also a small voluntary subscription to support those who want to devote time to developing obuntu. I am not a programmer and I do not skills, but I hope that someone can do it.
Meanwhile, I tell you that I still have 060713.tar files, 20130816.tar and 20130816.oar and 20130817.oar file. If they were to serve them I can share safely.
Sorry for automatic translation.
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 AM   #205
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpiano View Post
Meanwhile, I tell you that I still have 060713.tar files, 20130816.tar and 20130816.oar and 20130817.oar file. If they were to serve them I can share safely.
Hi Roger,

It is good to see you back. I only joined this thread rather late and
so only caught the post-booloader files, the 20130816 and 20130817
sets. I'll try to post the ones that I have that are missing from the thread when I get the chance.

I presume the 060713 file(s) were part of the pre-bootloader
installation. It would be helpful to have these earlier files, which
I do not have, as well.

As I have noted, I have only been able to install Obuntu one way thus
far, on an external SD card, and when I do so I tend to get wireless
problems (not that anyone else seems to). So it would be interesting
to try other installation methods. Unfortunately, Seaniko rewrote the
original pre-bootloader instructions when he added the bootloader, so
the original pre-bootloader instructions are also now either missing or
rather difficult to recover from this thread. It would be nice if
someone had a copy of the original instructions.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #206
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur

Obuntu installation files

The last set of Obuntu installation files:

obuntu_install_20130817.oar
OBUNTU.update-20130717.tar.gz

should now be able from the following links:

https://mega.nz/#!npYTBSAB!45ReVlu7A...a5MdTF1-WoN1BA
https://mega.nz/#!msYFCRhQ!1naLodKf4...ls6tp2hKB7OM7Y

I think there was a typo in the name of the second (but I've left it as in the original). I can't remember whether it makes any difference. I don't think so.

Let me know if there are any problems.

I've provided the most successful installation instructions (at least for me) in the post above along with two earlier sets of installation files:

Quote:
I've found I have the most success ...
I also found Seaniko's very professional Youtube video (see the first page of this thread) very helpful and a great preview of what Obuntu is like.

Many thanks to Seaniko7 for providing these files.

Last edited by Wong McGregor; 08-12-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #207
docidocus
Enthusiast
docidocus began at the beginning.

So many thanks that you recovered all these files! As I didn't follow this thread at that time, I can now finally test it out.
docidocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:38 AM   #208
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Hi,

I will upload all my resources together with toolchain later today so others can continue where I left off. Sorry for not being really active within this thread. I cannot guarantee you that I will be able to contribute to it as I struggle to find spare time. We'll see.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:48 AM   #209
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hi Seaniko7,

it's a good news to read you ! By advance, thank you for all what you can do, even if you haven't spare time.

To be able to use your toolchain to build an image is important. It will be a good stage to continue the development.

Thanks.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:54 AM   #210
docidocus
Enthusiast
docidocus began at the beginning.

That's really good news!

As we all do this in our (in my case really limited) spare time, anything may go slowly but hopefully constantly .
docidocus is offline   Reply With Quote