Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Glydez
Glydez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Intl
ePub Format

Hi all,

I have recently purchased the Amazon Kindle Intl edition as i am based in the UK, so please forgive me if this is a totally stupid question.

I have been browsing Books On Board and have found many books i would like that are in the ePub format. Now i know the Kindle does not support this format and hacks have been made to allow support. However, my question was that now the Kindle supports PDF, is it possible to accurately convert ePub documents to PDF for viewing on the kindle rather than using the Savory development.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Glydez; 11-28-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Glydez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
For ePub, you are better off using Calibre to convert from ePub to MOBI. This is because ePub and MOBI are relatively similar reflowable ebooks formats. Savory is Calibre hosted on the Kindle, and it is generally easier to use Calibre directly on a Desktop PC.

You would first need to strip DRM (Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented). In the UK, I don't think stripping DRM adds any extra legal issues although format shifting of copyright material is not allowed (a fact that is universally ignored).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Glydez

Thank you for your reply, I have downloaded Calibre and it seems relatively straight forward.

I got a bit lost with the stripping of the DRM lol, would anyone care to explain what this is and what it does?

Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glydez View Post
I got a bit lost with the stripping of the DRM lol, would anyone care to explain what this is and what it does?
Digital Rights Management is encryption that controls access to the ebook. Stripping DRM is removing the encryption, to produce a DRM-free (unencrypted) version.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Glydez

Ahh i see, and i would need to do this whilst converting to enable it to work on the kindle?

How would you do this?

Thanks again, i am a total noob to all this so please forgive me lol.
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Glydez

Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Hi.

You need to strip the DRM before you can convert the file in Calibre. Unfortunatley, due to the grey area that DeDRMing exists in currently we can't really tell you exactly how due to MobileRead policies.

There are however quite a few other sources to get ahold of DeDRM scripts *cough* bittorrent *cough*
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader

The original thread, Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented, contains most of the details, see for example post #394.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Glydez

Really appreciate the help, thank you.