Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #61
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This doesn't sound good, more bad ones than good one right now

I gave up with the PW2 when it first came out, I had two and sent them both back, ended up getting one in May this year. Sounds like bad lots always come at launch dates. If mine isn't any good it will go back and I'll order a PW2 wifi.
Ditto, and maybe a Kobo H20.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #62
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Uh-Oh! Thanks for the info, sorry for the disappointment!
Thanks Kenny. Appreciate the sympathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This doesn't sound good, more bad ones than good one right now

I gave up with the PW2 when it first came out, I had two and sent them both back, ended up getting one in May this year. Sounds like bad lots always come at launch dates. If mine isn't any good it will go back and I'll order a PW2 wifi.
I know, it's concerning. Some people are very happy with theirs though, so there's great ones out there, no doubt. I think for me even if the screen was even, I still may not have kept it. I just don't know if the sharper font is worth the price for me, especially considering I wasn't all that thrilled with the page press buttons either. So pointless for me to have kept it either way.
Excited to try the H20 and if that doesn't work out, back to my PW2 I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
Sorry to hear. I had similar issues - hope I don't with my Voyage. It will go back. Where online or in-store can you buy the Kobo H20 in the US?

Anyone?
Thanks pghaworth. Hope you have better luck. You can buy the Kobo direct from their site and also at some Canadian shops online as well. Indigo and Chapters online I believe carry them? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also Best Buy Canada. I'm going to go over the border (not too far for a road trip) and try Best Buy Canada myself. I don't really want to order it online.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #63
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I received my voyage. I'm not all that thrilled with it really. My screen is also somewhat two toned, more yellow on the top, brighter and more white on the bottom. Most definitely not getting on the exchange merry go round this time, especially since I'm not overly thrilled with the device in general, especially for the price. The best thing is the fonts are definitely sharper.

However, the screen on my PW2 is much more even than on the voyage I received. I also feel the fonts on my PW2 are pretty much just as dark as on the voyage. Overall I really like the screen better on my PW2 and the difference of the slightly sharper font on the voyage is not enough for me to keep it.

The page turn buttons I'm not impressed with. They're ok, but to me since the screen is completely flush, you barely have to move your hand over much more to simply hit the screen instead of the page press. If you want to always have your hand on the bezel it would benefit you, but for me actually using them, I didn't find it all that great.

Bottom line for me is for the price it's not worth it. I'm going to give the Kobo H20 a try as I love the idea of being able to customize the fonts, line spacing, and what not. If the H20 screen is comparable to my PW2, I'll keep the H20.

Very happy for everyone who loves their voyage, it's just not worth it for me personally.
Sorry that you are not happy with the Voyage, particularly at a premium price point. I have a PW2, Aura HD and Aura H2O. The Aura H2O is even better than the HD (the best ereader, IMHO, until the H2O) and is certainly far superior to the PW2. The display is absolutely beautiful, sharp, even lighting, crisp fonts and increased contrast. Being able utilize the full real estate of the 6.8" display is the big plus, along with one's custom fonts, margins, line spacing etc. Also nice is the ability to take advantage of the micro SD slot. The ergonomics of the H2O is nicely contoured on the back with a "gripable" coating that makes one-handed reading very comfortable. Oh, yes, It's waterproof too!

You'll become spoiled with the H20 and find the PW2 spending more time on the shelf.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #64
Drew0020
Connoisseur
Drew0020 doesn't litterDrew0020 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Mine is exactly the same. Noticeably more yellow at the top. Pitiful really for a device of this price. My PW2 looks much better in comparison. Hope your next one is perfect.
Mine is obviously 1/2 yellow and 1/2 blue. I'm going to try the return game once then I am done. The QC should have been amazing on this device. The screen colors being off are so blatantly obvious.

Replacement shipped November 26. Another disappointment.

Last edited by Drew0020; 10-21-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Drew0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #65
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Thanks pghaworth. Hope you have better luck. You can buy the Kobo direct from their site and also at some Canadian shops online as well. Indigo and Chapters online I believe carry them? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also Best Buy Canada. I'm going to go over the border (not too far for a road trip) and try Best Buy Canada myself. I don't really want to order it online.
Thanks and thanks! I don't want to order online. If I get a bad one I don't want to deal with unproven CS. I tried a Kobo once at Borders and wasn't impressed. I wouldn't have tried it if I couldn't have easily returned it.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #66
tamborine
Connoisseur
tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Fire HD
I got a good one: the screen lighting is perfect. I love it! Mostly because of the page-turn buttons.

I like the Amazon cover (not the price, though, but I figured as long as I was spending so much on an e-ink reader, I'd go all out). I got the synthetic one. It has a nice, matte texture, and although it adds some weight to the device, I think it's still less than my PW with cover. The Voyage doesn't really snap into place; it's held in by magnets. When the cover is flipped over, it adheres magnetically to the back and doesn't flop around. Very comfortable to hold. I'm glad I got it, but it should be 15 or 20 dollars cheaper (IMHO)!
tamborine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #67
jkrzok
Connoisseur
jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jkrzok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD, Aura One, Voyage, Oasis 1 & 2, Many others getting dusty.
Picked up a Voyage and case at my local Best Buy. Held on tight to both of them (I got the last Voyage) while I opened my Amazon app to be sure I could still cancel my order. When I cancelled with Amazon I bought at BB. This way I got my stuff a month early without having to wait for UPS ( a drag for me because I have a very nosy but hopefully honest neighbor who has opened my packages in the past). That and the case is actually cheaper at BB.

As for first impressions, I'm happy. The screen is wonderful. Perfectly lit and noticeably clearer. All the fonts are usable. I like the page turn buttons, especially after adjusting their settings. I'm also pleasantly surprised that it's actually difficult to turn the pages accidentally.

The cover's nice too. It adds negligible weight to the Voyage. It holds the reader securely while allowing me to more easily remove the reader from it's cover. There were times I feared I would break the Paperwhite or its cover when separating them. The magnets in the cover are strong enough to firmly attach the front to the back when folded back. The front doesn't flop open at all when folded back. It also holds its origami fold firmly, a plus for me as I like to read while seated at a table.
jkrzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #68
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Sorry that you are not happy with the Voyage, particularly at a premium price point. I have a PW2, Aura HD and Aura H2O. The Aura H2O is even better than the HD (the best ereader, IMHO, until the H2O) and is certainly far superior to the PW2. The display is absolutely beautiful, sharp, even lighting, crisp fonts and increased contrast. Being able utilize the full real estate of the 6.8" display is the big plus, along with one's custom fonts, margins, line spacing etc. Also nice is the ability to take advantage of the micro SD slot. The ergonomics of the H2O is nicely contoured on the back with a "gripable" coating that makes one-handed reading very comfortable. Oh, yes, It's waterproof too!

You'll become spoiled with the H20 and find the PW2 spending more time on the shelf.
Thanks Skydog. Thanks for your thoughts on the Kobos too. I'm feeling really hopeful about the H20 and excited to get one. I love everything I've read about it, so here's hoping I can come away with a good one. I don't seem to have the best of luck with these things, but here's hoping! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew0020 View Post
Mine is obviously 1/2 yellow and 1/2 blue. I'm going to try the return game once then I am done. The QC should have been amazing on this device. The screen colors being off are so blatantly obvious.
Sorry you received a bad one too. Mine is exactly the same. Two-toned screen. Yellow at the top and the bottom is blueish white. Pitiful. I'm pretty disgusted with it honestly, but trying not to spill my sourness all over the thread. Seriously though, what is the matter with your quality control, Amazon? Urgh.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-23-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #69
morrow
Enthusiast
morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/PW/KV
Is it possible to have some pictures of the bad ones?
morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #70
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow View Post
Yes. Inquiring minds wanna know.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #71
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow View Post
It's difficult for me to capture it as badly as it represents in person, but here's a try at it. You'll see the top is warmer, more yellow, and the bottom half colder and more blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	1415
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	129974  
Old 10-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #72
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Gosh Sparkle, I feel so sorry for you. I have to say I ended up booting mine inside BB to be sure I liked it and there was no default I could see. Now, I need glasses to read and my sight is not great so for me, my device looks great, but for others it may look disappointing. I can see a visible improvement in comparison to my PW2, which I am already really happy with.

I will not order the H2O because I own an Aura HD which I find too big, too heavy and although I enjoy the settings possibilities, I end up never using it because of its design, but it is a good device and I am sure you will love the H2O.

PS: yes, I see the difference in hues on your pic.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #73
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I can actually see it more clearly before I click on the image.

That's unfortunate. It really would be too distracting to keep.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #74
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
Someone posted this photo on reddit of the yellowish light on top. Voyage left, pw2 on the right. Mine looks a bit like that.

http://i.imgur.com/lzZfCXT.jpg

Last edited by Matches Malone; 10-21-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew0020 View Post

Replacement shipped November 26. Another disappointment.
I would call Amazon and say that November 26 is unacceptable.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote