Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Absolutely Minimal Root (AMR) and Apps2SD firmware

Hello

I just pushed out first "official" stable release of AMR and Apps2SD packages. In addition project page has been updated with feature list and proper download links. There is even brief description of installation procedure there and I hope to expand this page (time permitting).

It is far from complete - but better than nothing. Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Please, keep in mind, that I am not attempting to convert your low cost eInk device into bad Android tablet! I just would like to enhance your reading experience. As such I have no interest in supporting endless number of badly written Android applications, games, e.t.c. - I am only interested in a few good ones which are directly related to reading.

Last edited by rupor; 06-05-2012 at 11:01 AM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Fewns
Fewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enough

Device: PW2
very nice, thank you
Fewns is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
VICTORSJG
Addict
VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.VICTORSJG once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
Hello

I just pushed out first "official" stable release of AMR and Apps2SD packages. In addition project page has been updated with feature list and proper download links. There is even brief description of installation procedure there and I hope to expand this page (time permitting).

It is far from complete - but better than nothing. Comments and suggestions are welcome!
Rupor i've tried to download the file amr but when the file is downloaded and is unzip the messeage this file is corrupted is shown.

thanks

pd I tried other time and now is ok

Last edited by VICTORSJG; 05-27-2012 at 01:56 PM.
VICTORSJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
robyshot
Enthusiast
robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Prs T1
with total commander is not possible to delete system files (such as bluetooth.apk)

if you need a file manager able to do it (root explorer is not usable due to white background hack) you can use Mi file explorer

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1523691

Last edited by robyshot; 05-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.
robyshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

robyshot
In Total Commander you could do everything you could do in Root Explorer (and probably more). If you need to remount system partition in RW - you could easily learn how to do it, no need to multiple junk on the device. In addition there was a release of Root Explorer 2.19 with background modified for what you call white background hack - I just do not want to distribute it since this is not a free application.
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
robyshot
Enthusiast
robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'robyshot knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony Prs T1
@rupor

great to know! thank you
robyshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
blz
blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Hello Rupor, and everybody here,

I get confused after reading many topics here and there (no way I criticize what's writen, only I do not want to do anything wrong and, if I may, I prefer confirmations before going anywhere).

I had mu prs-t1 rooted with Boroda work, it goes fine, but I read somewhere this is not going to be upgraded or supported anymore, so:

- Is there a point (is it "usefull", "better") to think about going back to unrooted with restore set, and then rooting with your AMR?

- Is that safe (and is that the good way to practice, ie using Boroda resore set, and when done, root with your package?

Sorry for asking, but again, I fear I might have missed a point when reading the topics!

Thanks so much
blz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
rupor
meat popsicle

blz
I have not used any restore packages for a while (so I may not remember all the details) - but originally this is exactly what I did. So - yes to both questions.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
blz
blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.blz for a long time would go to bed early.

Thanks ever so much for such a quick answer!!!
blz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
Montezuma
Montezuma began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Works like a charm. Thank you.

(Just don't forget to remove the SD card or delete "OS Firmware" folder if you do the device backup.)
Montezuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #11
breitfred
breitfred began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB623
Hi Rupor,

I yust tried that AMR flash package and it works fine. But there is one problem because of that "Android Background hack" some apps are not displayed properly.
Even total commander has sites which can not be read (for example list of additional buttons). How I can remove this "white background hack" from that package?
Or is there a possibility to restore old behavior (without uninstallating whole AMR)?

Thank you.

Fred
breitfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
rupor
meat popsicle

Total commander allows you to modify colors any way you like using options - it is far easier
Old 06-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
spotlesssky
spotlesssky began at the beginning.

Hi rupor, I have rooted my device with this AMR package and enable the apps2sd. Both work very very great (thank so much)!

Recently I wanna install a new keyboard in my device but discover that I cannot disable the Latin Keyboard (there's no check box near it). So even I choose the other keyboard by ticking the box still nothing happens. May I know how can I deactivate the Latin keyboard? Thanks in advance.
spotlesssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
rupor
meat popsicle

spotlesssky
Latin keyboard in the firmware on Sony PRS-T1 is not an Android one. It is a specially modified one and has some special integration with the rest of firmware. So deactivating it (albeit technically possible and relatively simple) will create unnecessary side effects. An example would be non-functioning (blowing) keyboard settings (in the settings screen). For this reason AMR does not allow you to disable or replace system keyboard application - the same as original firmware.

If you are willing to accept the consequences (not recommended) you need to physically delete Latin keyboard APK form system partition by moving it to data partition and changing its attributes using Total Commander or terminal. The rest you will have to figure out on your own
Old 06-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
spotlesssky
spotlesssky began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupor View Post
spotlesssky
Latin keyboard in the firmware on Sony PRS-T1 is not an Android one. It is a specially modified one and has some special integration with the rest of firmware. So deactivating it (albeit technically possible and relatively simple) will create unnecessary side effects. An example would be non-functioning (blowing) keyboard settings (in the settings screen). For this reason AMR does not allow you to disable or replace system keyboard application - the same as original firmware.

If you are willing to accept the consequences (not recommended) you need to physically delete Latin keyboard APK form system partition by moving it to data partition and changing its attributes using Total Commander or terminal. The rest you will have to figure out on your own

Thanks for your quick reply. I remember I was able to use other keyboard (to input Asian language that is not available in the original keyboard language choice) when I rooted my device with another minimal root package (in the wiki of mobileread). I prefer this AMR version a lot more and wanna stick to it, but having that Asian keyboard is quite a necessity for me.

The process you just described sounds a bit complicated to me. What do you mean by changing it's attributes? Can I just remove the APK file from the system to other places (like backing it up), and later paste back the file to the system if anything goes wrong? I mean, can the process be reversed? And also, where's that APK file? I try to search it in Total Commander using the word Latin but nothing comes up so far.
spotlesssky is offline   Reply With Quote