Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Surface Pro

I have been pouring over web pages and youtube videos about the new microsoft surface pros and am still on the fence. Has anyone here bought one or tried one out and can offer up any info on these devices? Or just your opinion would be helpful. I am thinking of getting one of these while they are still on sale and putting it away for a xmas present for myself!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I've always liked that pen computers allowed me to draw, write, and annotate far more naturally than a mouse and have used them by preference since purchasing an NCR-3125 which ran Windows for Pen Computing or PenPoint and have been a big proponent of pen computing for a very long while, and always regretted not getting a Surface Pro 1 or 2.

The new units are nice, if one can accept the Ntrig digitizer --- I mislike that particular technology since it has a lower hover distance than I'm accustomed to, but it works well for some folks.

Of greater concern is that Microsoft has dumbed the stylus down to an 11th finger since Fall Creators Update, requiring odd interactions to select text and crippling the machines for use with legacy applications --- my machine has updated twice now and I've had to roll the updates back both times since I couldn't work with the new UI, nor draw in Macromedia Freehand.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
While I don't have a surfacepro, I'm on my 3rd surface - the other two I passed to my daughters. I love it. Its the right size, does what I want with a nice sized key board.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have had the Surface Pro 4 for over three years now and still love it.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a surface 3 at the moment but am eying The surface pro. Maybe....while its still on sale. Good idea??
Old 08-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Yes, if it suits you and you can tolerate (or don't need) the NTrig stylus.

I find its low hover distance and slow-speed jitter off-putting, and Microsoft has decided to make the stylus function as touch input (so that it can be used to scroll) since Fall Creators Update --- this unfortunately, makes it impossible to select text w/o using a side button, or to use legacy applications (I believe there's a registry hack to change this back).

I just roll back to 1703 whenever a new update is installed. Had to do it twice now.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:33 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Yes, if it suits you and you can tolerate (or don't need) the NTrig stylus.

I find its low hover distance and slow-speed jitter off-putting, and Microsoft has decided to make the stylus function as touch input (so that it can be used to scroll) since Fall Creators Update --- this unfortunately, makes it impossible to select text w/o using a side button, or to use legacy applications (I believe there's a registry hack to change this back).

I just roll back to 1703 whenever a new update is installed. Had to do it twice now.
They not only changed it for NTrig pens, this is the same for my SP2. I didn't know about a registry hack though!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
Kaysclie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have had the Surface Pro 4 for over three years now and still love it.
Apache
Which version of the Surface Pro 4 do you have? The newer Surface Pro is pretty expensive and I hope to find a Pro 4 to pay less.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've had a Surface Pro 3 for 2 years now (bought it almost new, at half the price). Very satisfied and don't feel the need to upgrade yet (I have a new laptop too, I use that as my main PC). I would never replace my Surface with any other tablet, particularly an Android one. If it gives up the ghost, I'll get another Surface Pro.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I would never replace my Surface with any other tablet, particularly an Android one. If it gives up the ghost, I'll get another Surface Pro.
This is how I feel too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #11
Kaysclie
Addict

Recently I bit the bullet and ordered the new 2017 Surface Pro. As a matter of fact today I just finished downloading the new updates etc. I was a bit worried when I first got it because the battery life wasn't very good. But now that it has finished its updates that worry has gone away. I really like this newer model ...previously I had the surface 3....and hope I am as fortunate as others here and my surface pro brings me many years of smooth service. So far it is a joy!
Old 10-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #12
Kaysclie
Addict

I am trying to set up Freda on my surface pro. Does anyone know if it would be possible to get to my books on my sd card from Freda? IOr do most people use the Freda app to download them from One Drive?
Old 10-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
I am trying to set up Freda on my surface pro. Does anyone know if it would be possible to get to my books on my sd card from Freda? IOr do most people use the Freda app to download them from One Drive?
Yes, Freda can open books from the SD Card on a Surface Pro. If you have any difficulties, just let me know. Thanks.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Yes, Freda on Windows can load ebooks directly from the filesystem, either primary (read: C storage or the expansion (read: D storage, the latter typically being an SD or microSD card on Windows tablets.

I regularly use Freda on my 8" Windows tablet. I use calibre to manage my library, which is stored on my microSD card. I export (read: Save to Disk) from calibre to a folder, which is also on the microSD card, to create a small set of "current reads". These are then imported into Freda for reading and deleted when read. This has worked quite well for several years.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #15
Kaysclie
Addict

I love that idea of save to disk from caliber to the sd card of my surface pro! I will definitely give that a try today. Fantastic