Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Question Damaged USB port for KA1. Not taking a charge.

TL;DR version: KA1 not taking a charge. Not seen by computer, either. I suspect the USB port is damaged. Can it be fixed?

My learning disabled daughter isn't always careful with her belongings. Recently, I posted about how her KA1 was stolen. After filing the police report and insurance claim, she found her KA1 at the side of her bed! That's life around here.

Unfortunately, days after finding her KA1, she complained it wouldn't take a charge. As far as I have been able to determine, no cables will connect. These same cables power my KA1 LE just fine. There is a hairline crack in the case just above the USB port. Since she had stripped the nubs off a USB cable last month, I'm thinking she was struggling to connect the cable into the unit again. I tried to firmware reset the device just in case it was a software issue, but the KA1 died halfway through. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My girl's KA1 is out of warranty, so sending it to Kobo doesn't seem an option. Obviously, buying a new unit is the final option. The KA1 has Overdrive support, which is key to her reading habits and independence. I wish the Clara HD had that support. (Actually, all Kobo devices and apps support Overdrive syncing & downloading, but you need a KA1 using the same account to enable it. Libby isn't enough.)

Aside from selling it for parts online, what suggestions do you more experienced Kobo users have for me? I've been searching the web for a teardown with pics, but none available for this model. Is the USB port something I can repair? What do you suggest?

Last edited by Cootey; 08-10-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if a local store that does cell phone / tablet repair might be an option?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I've been searching the web for a teardown with pics, but none available for this model.
https://mobile.hdblog.it/2016/08/30/...ne-recensione/ (have to scroll a bit to find the pictures)

if you open it up yourself maybe you can provide us with better ones
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #4
Argle
Argle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, formerly a Kindle user
The first problem that I had with a KA1 in the first year was that the USB connection started to be flaky and not always connect. Then the charge also would not connect unless I bent the cable in one position, and it finally failed. So I had exactly this problem about two months after the one year warranty (in Canada) expired, but finally contacted Kobo. The service people walked me through a few basic steps and verified that I could not fix it. I was told that it was a warranty isssue and that they would replace the unit. They swapped the old for a new and now about four months later the USB has started to fail to connect whatever I do. As a careful professional scientist with several USB cables, this is not an issue of misuse or of cable failure. This is a software or design flaw with the KA1. Good luck, give them a call and see if they will replace yours.
Argle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
" There is a hairline crack in the case just above the USB port. "

long shot, but if you squeeze that hairline crack /squeeze the case at that point, does it then start to charge. if so you can maybe superglue the crack. i did that once for a loose laptop charging port & it worked
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
TL;DR version: KA1 not taking a charge. Not seen by computer, either. I suspect the USB port is damaged. Can it be fixed?

My learning disabled daughter isn't always careful with her belongings. Recently, I posted about how her KA1 was stolen. After filing the police report and insurance claim, she found her KA1 at the side of her bed! That's life around here.

Unfortunately, days after finding her KA1, she complained it wouldn't take a charge. As far as I have been able to determine, no cables will connect. These same cables power my KA1 LE just fine. There is a hairline crack in the case just above the USB port. Since she had stripped the nubs off a USB cable last month, I'm thinking she was struggling to connect the cable into the unit again. I tried to firmware reset the device just in case it was a software issue, but the KA1 died halfway through. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My girl's KA1 is out of warranty, so sending it to Kobo doesn't seem an option. Obviously, buying a new unit is the final option. The KA1 has Overdrive support, which is key to her reading habits and independence. I wish the Clara HD had that support. (Actually, all Kobo devices and apps support Overdrive syncing & downloading, but you need a KA1 using the same account to enable it. Libby isn't enough.)

Aside from selling it for parts online, what suggestions do you more experienced Kobo users have for me? I've been searching the web for a teardown with pics, but none available for this model. Is the USB port something I can repair? What do you suggest?
That happened to me, too. My solution was to buy a new Aura One LE. Can't say that I was happy about that but I didn't have an alternative. I also had that happen to a Kindle Voyage as well, so it's not unique to Kobo. With Kindle, though, you can buy an extended warranty. Can't do that with Kobo.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Yes, if amazon still offer these, buy an extended warranty that also covers accidental damage, so you are covered if it is dropped or if cable is forced in the wrong way around

that is not AFAIK, a Kindle only option though. When I was looking at buying a new Kobo here in UK from John Lewis stores, as a Xmas gift for my son, they also were offering extended warranties with accidental damage cover for Kobo ereaders.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:47 AM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if a local store that does cell phone / tablet repair might be an option?

I actually hadn't thought of that option. It's worth a shot. Maybe it won't be too costly. I'll report back.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:50 AM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
" There is a hairline crack in the case just above the USB port. "

long shot, but if you squeeze that hairline crack /squeeze the case at that point, does it then start to charge. if so you can maybe superglue the crack. i did that once for a loose laptop charging port & it worked
Sure wish that worked. No effect.
Old 08-26-2018, 04:18 AM   #10
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
https://mobile.hdblog.it/2016/08/30/...ne-recensione/ (have to scroll a bit to find the pictures)

if you open it up yourself maybe you can provide us with better ones
Dang, those are low res. It gave me an idea of the area in question, though. Thanks. By looking them over, I now know I don't have the skill level to repair this. Heck, I don't have the gear to repair solder joints on circuit boards.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Strangely, last night I plugged in my Aura One to my computer and the USB port was not working. But I know this port is working, as I can plug other stuff to charge. I had to plug the Aura One on the other USB port and then it was charging and seing my Kobo on my desktop. Weird.

Note that I had just reset my Kobo, because the last firmware (4.10.x) update was causing problems with the wifi. After the factory reset, the Kobo updated itself to the previous firmware (4.9.x)

Last edited by deleted2; 08-26-2018 at 01:17 PM.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:16 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Strangely, last night I plugged in my Aura One to my computer and the USB port was not working. But I know this port is working, as I can plug other stuff to charge. I had to plug the Aura One on the other USB port and then it was charging and seing my Kobo on my desktop. Weird.
Windows 10? I believe this happens to a lot of people. It also happened to me. I went so far as to start looking at things with Device Manager, but all of a sudden it started working.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:14 AM   #13
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Windows 10? I believe this happens to a lot of people. It also happened to me. I went so far as to start looking at things with Device Manager, but all of a sudden it started working.
Nope. MacBook Air.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:04 AM   #14
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Damaged USB port for KA1. Not taking a charge.

1) kobo has updated the latest firmware to support Overdrive direct on all the latest models including the Clara HD, H2O2, and Aura One. If you have to replace it, any model will work for your daughter’s needs.

2) find out if it’s a) the miniUSB port on the KA1, b) the cable, or c) the 12V adapter that is bad. Test other cables, or other chargers to verify that it is the KA1 that is defective. Also see my next point.

3) when I plug my Clara into my iMac sometimes the first time it doesn’t register. I often have to pull the plug out of the USB port and push it in again. I believe this may have to do with whether the Clara is connected to the cable first and then to the computer, or if the cable is connected to the computer first and then to the Clara. If it is the latter (as I often leave the charger cable in the computer) it happens more frequently. If it is the former it seems to happen less so. Bottom line, do not assume the USB port on the computer is bad if the first time you connect to it the device does not register.

4) If it IS the KA1 USB port that is damaged, do a google search in your area for cell phone repair shops. You aren’t looking for the ones that just do screen swaps, but often there will be a shop with a reflow soldering station that can fix bad components on cell phone / laptop / computer circuit boards for much less than a new device. You’ll probably have to call ahead and ask, but in my area the third place I called did it, and they replaced two bad OPAmps on a 3D printer main board in less than 10 minutes when I brought them in the board. Price was about $50, which is steep in the hourly rate, but cheaper than a $900 printer.

Last edited by Derf; 08-27-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #15
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

As Peter originally suggested, I dropped by a phone/tablet repair shop about two days ago. They hadn't ever worked on a Kobo, personally, but it was in their database of repairs. They'd charge $79.99 for the repair. I suppose I could call around, but TBH, that's almost the cost of a ClaraHD and about ⅓ the cost of a replacement KA1. Now that Kobo has added Overdrive support to all modern Kobos, it's just not worth it to me to pay to repair the KA1, not if she's going to damage the ports like this (She has cerebral palsy). I'm sure a ClaraHD will be fine for her. Thanks for everybody's feedback!

Tags
damaged usb port, ka1, kobo aura one, libby, overdrive