Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I have absolutely no problem with Harry, I pretty much expected that response from him. I can only write about my experiences and my impressions. Since I didn't like reading on a 'puter I didn't have the multi window experience, hence a new experience.
Certainly a new experience on a 'phone/tablet'

I definitely see how it could be useful. The situations where I've run into it was when I have had to log in to a website -- such as this one even -- and need to look up my login/password from my password vault. I have to switch applications find and remember the login/password, go back to the login page etc...

I don't use dictionaries much but I can see how that might be useful. On the fire however it pops up the dictionary entry when you tap on a word, so that works fine for me for what little I use it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Cool! Definitely something I miss on tablets, so it's great news it's coming! Cause, even though it's just on few devices right now, it will spread, I'm sure!
It probably need a screen size around the 10" to be really convenient, but even on smaller screens it would be nice to have the feature available.
Multi-window interfaces have been tried before on portable devices - eg Windows CE had them back in the 1999/2000 timescale. The reason they went out of use is that companies like Microsoft and Apple, who do enormous amounts of research on user interfaces and usability, have found that such interfaces just don't work well on small screens. I strongly suspect that this will not catch on as a popular interface for o/s's like Android and iOS - it's just too fiddly to use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Certainly a new experience on a 'phone/tablet'

I definitely see how it could be useful. The situations where I've run into it was when I have had to log in to a website -- such as this one even -- and need to look up my login/password from my password vault. I have to switch applications find and remember the login/password, go back to the login page etc...
But you're talking there about multitasking - that's not the same thing as multi-windows. Operating systems like Android and iOS already do multitasking perfectly well. It's easier, on a small screen, to switch between applications than it would be to switch between windows.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-05-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But you're talking there about multitasking - that's not the same thing as multi-windows. Operating systems like Android and iOS already do multitasking perfectly well. It's easier, on a small screen, to switch between applications than it would be to switch between windows.
No, I'm talking about not having to switch back and forth, but have both open.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
No, I'm talking about not having to switch back and forth, but have both open.

Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying. What I'm saying is that user interface studies over the years have shown that multi-window interfaces just won't work very well on small touchscreens - they're too fiddly to use. Your finger is too clumsy a tool in proportion to the size of the window. The reason they work on PCs is that a mouse is a lot more accurate. It's not just arbitrary that we have the UI's we do - it's the result of an awful lot of effort in usability research.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
kennyc

Quote:
Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying. What I'm saying is that user interface studies over the years have shown that multi-window interfaces just won't work very well on small touchscreens - they're too fiddly to use. Your finger is too clumsy a tool in proportion to the size of the window. The reason they work on PCs is that a mouse is a lot more accurate. It's not just arbitrary that we have the UI's we do - it's the result of an awful lot of effort in usability research.
Nor is that what is being discussed. Sheesh.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Nor is that what is being discussed. Sheesh.
We're talking about the experience of using multi-window interfaces on touch screens, so it seems to me that an explanation as to why such interfaces haven't proved successful in the past is highly relevant.

I don't know if you've had a chance to use Windows 8 yet, but when you do, you'll notice that apps designed for the new "Metro" interface run full screen. That's for the same reason - full screen works a lot better for a touch interface.

Last edited by HarryT; 01-05-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Well, the Note 10.1 does have a 10" screen and a very accurate stylus so from that perspective it works just fine. I can see it being a problem on a phone though. I can hold the tablet in portrait mode, have a book take up 80% of the screen and a dictionary or Wikipedia the other 20%. It is just there, I don't need to search for it. Anyway, I like it, and that is what is important for me.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Anyway, I like it, and that is what is important for me.
Absolutely . It'll be interesting to see how it works out.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #25
kennyc

Do keep us posted as I'm very interested in this one myself. No plans to jump in right now though.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #26
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Well, the Note 10.1 does have a 10" screen and a very accurate stylus so from that perspective it works just fine. I can see it being a problem on a phone though. I can hold the tablet in portrait mode, have a book take up 80% of the screen and a dictionary or Wikipedia the other 20%. It is just there, I don't need to search for it. Anyway, I like it, and that is what is important for me.
That's cool man.

I expect to have a smaller Galaxy Note one day or an improved Galaxy Player 5" or so.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #27
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This would seem to be useful for studying chess books. Have the book and a chessboard open simultaneously. There is an android app that does this but it only works for limited formats (PDF being one).
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I've had the same book open in two windows, one for reading the other for maps, that way I could keep up with troop movements much easier in the text.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Do keep us posted as I'm very interested in this one myself. No plans to jump in right now though.
We'll get it on the Galaxy SIII with the next update coming soon
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
kennyc

Yeah, but as Harry mentioned upstream it's not going to work so well on the smaller screen.....certainly not with my ancient eyes.