Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Aura 6" frozen

I put my Aura to sleep before going to eat and couldn't wake it afterward whatever I tried. I put a pin in the little hole, tried to plug it to a wall charger, and when I was believing it was really broken, it waked up. So I began to read and after some pages read, is frozen again. I tried the pin, I tried to power it off, to plug it to the wall charger (though it was not really needed) and even to my computer : nothing happen, it just hang there frozen. When I plug it to my computer, it isn't seen.

I've seen that there a constant orange led that is lighted where the power switch sits.

I've update to 3.3.0 as soon as it was available.

Every help would be greatly appreciated
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
oh no!
When you say you tried to power it off, did you hold the slider for at least ten seconds? That will make sure that the device is really off - the fact that you have an orange light on would make me think the device is not really off. I would charge it first though.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I hold it as long as 10 seconds (even more) and I plugged it to the wall charger but nothing seems to happen : the last page I was reading is still displayed and the orange led is still on... I don't know what to think. It still under garanty so I can take it back to the store where I bought it, but it means I'll be without book as long as they give one back to me (mine fixed or a new one). I could use my Glo for a while, but I lend to to my son...
Old 04-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
As suggested above, charge it all the way up. Leave it plugged in if you must, then hold the power switch for 20 seconds, release and perform the pinhole or switch reset appropriate to your model by holding them in and then briefly actuating the power switch, you should see a little light show on the LED if it works.

If not, repeat the whole procedure as it only works if the unit is off when you try it.

I have read posts where others recommend using either the pinhole or button reset individually on the units that have either a home button or light button. I used both with the power switch when I needed to reset my Touch, and just the light button & power switch on the Glo as I recall. You have options try them all.

Good luck.

Last edited by TechniSol; 04-27-2014 at 10:20 PM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
vice-versa
whippet addict

I went to the FNAC store and (I couldn't believe it ! ) in ten minutes had a brand new Aura 6" (and the screen is absolutely faultless )
Advert
Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
vice-versa
whippet addict

now, what I'm expermenting is very strange : my epub behaves as kepub (and I don't like it : I don't care how much page in the chapter, what I want is how much page in the book).

I can't make calibre delete empty bookshelves and even creating bookshelves though I thought it was as in the post dedicated for that use)

Any help would be greatly appreciated (I'm for the moment at least still with 3.2.0, automatic update while configuring my device).
Old 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
TechniSol
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure Calibre is intended to delete empty shelves as they are maintained by Kobo's servers, though it can create them. I think you can just delete them from the collections page, and maybe then sync to get them off Kobo's server. You realize you need to transfer the books from Calibre to the reader, disconnect, let it process them and re-connect with calibre running to get the shelves built on the reader. It won't build the shelves until after the books are processed into the ereader's database and you reconnect. I think it builds the shelves right after it scans and sees what books are on the reader, as I recall.

I'd do the update and then mess with one thing at a time until I was satisfied with results. 3.3.0 seems pretty good to me.

Behaving like a kepub, could you have or have had a kepub version of the epub in question and it still thinks it's a kepub due to something in the database once you've synced with kobo? I've had my Glo and Touch tell me I couldn't read a book because it was protected by DRM and I hadn't set up the account info for Adobe DRM -on a sideloaded file with no DRM... I believe a power on-off or possibly signing out and back in to rebuild the database fixed it.

Last edited by TechniSol; 04-28-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I'm not sure Calibre is intended to delete empty shelves as they are maintained by Kobo's servers, though it can create them. I think you can just delete them from the collections page, and maybe then sync to get them off Kobo's server.
The driver handles this. Exactly what it does depends on whether the shelf has been synced to the Kobo server.
Quote:
You realize you need to transfer the books from Calibre to the reader, disconnect, let it process them and re-connect with calibre running to get the shelves built on the reader. It won't build the shelves until after the books are processed into the ereader's database and you reconnect. I think it builds the shelves right after it scans and sees what books are on the reader, as I recall.
It can put the shelves on the device when a book is sent. But it also checks on the next connection and adds or removes any needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
now, what I'm expermenting is very strange : my epub behaves as kepub (and I don't like it : I don't care how much page in the chapter, what I want is how much page in the book).
That either means you are using the extended driver to send the books, or you have converted epubs to kepubs in your calibre library and they are being sent.
Quote:
I can't make calibre delete empty bookshelves and even creating bookshelves though I thought it was as in the post dedicated for that use)
Is it also creating new shelves or putting books on the shelves? The most common reason for the driver not to do the shelf management is that the "Metadata management" option is not set to automatic. This is on the "Sending books to devices" page of the calibre preferences. The next is that the configuration of the driver is wrong. If you have changed between the KoboTouch and the KoboTouchExtended driver recently, you will need to check the configuration of the driver you are using now. If you do this when the device is connected by right-clicking on the device button and selecting "Configure this device", you will get the configuration options for the driver you are using.

If the configuration is right, I'd like to see a debug log to work out what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
vice-versa
whippet addict

no kepub in my library, so I suppose I must be using the extended driver (though I did'nt intended to : it's a new computer (the old one having died after 9 years of good services) and a new device, as, as I said before, FNAC store didn't even try to reset mine and gave a brand new to me. Perhaps should I delete (or disable) the kobo touch extend driver.

I'm quite sure I did something wrong (and not Calibre being faulty) as it's a bit hard to follow exactly the post to activate the right options as Calibre is yet in French and the instructions in English. I should perhaps set Calibre language in English to make it easier (I understand much more in English, thanks to my reading a lot in English) than I write (or talk) it.

Thanks a lot for your help Technisol and David for
Old 04-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #11
TechniSol

You're welcome, but I was just pinch hitting until the Home Run King arrived... ;-).

I didn't even consider that you might have bothered to load(and configure?) the Kobo Extended driver and may not have realized that was why they were appearing as kepubs... I was under the impression no one would load it unless they wanted epubs to appear as kepubs as it would require further effort than was needed to get things going. I thought the reader had somehow misinterrpreted the type of file. David's explanation made a lot more sense.