Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-29-2023, 05:34 PM   #61
Aktive
Enthusiast
Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle paperwhite 2018, Kindle 4
What you should do to stay on topic is. Give objective reasons why Kobo libra 2 is a better purchase than onyx boox page at the same price range. Simple as that. Onyx Boox page can do more for the same price range.
Aktive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:39 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktive View Post
koreader is nothing compared to having android and all android app stores and a fully working browser. On a new ereader purchase its a no brainer.
You seem to be making a rather wild assumption that people are going to want an ereader that handles everything. If so, I'd be reading on my iPad Pro.

Most of the Android apps I have tested on an eInk Android were, at best, a painful experience. as very few Android apps are happy with the refresh rate of an eInk screen. Most of the games I tried were not playable. Even using a web browser was unenjoyable compared to browsing the same websites on my Lenovo 8" FHD device to keep to devices with the about the same size screen.

I use my Kobo ereaders for reading—a task that they are great for. I also edit most of my ebooks to give me my optimal reading experience after importing them into calibre and cleaning up the metadata, replacing covers, etc.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 05:42 PM   #63
Aktive
Enthusiast
Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aktive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

These are actually good reasons.
However Id still think having a fully working browser is good.
Not all ebooks are in kindle or kobo store either, some are tied to specific apps for instance school books which work on websites or apps on google play.

Last edited by Aktive; 07-29-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:48 PM   #64
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
What you should do to stay on topic is. Give objective reasons why Kobo libra 2 is a better purchase than onyx boox page at the same price range. Simple as that. Onyx Boox page can do more for the same price range.
I never said Kobo Libra 2 is objectively better. It isn't. There is no objectively best ereader in existence. It's all subjective and depends on individual preferences and needs. Onyx Boox may do more, but it does this "more" worse for my personal preferences than a Kobo does. For you, it's vice versa. There is no ereader that's best for every user out there; there are only personal opinions of various users on what works best for them.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:51 PM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm... looking at Kobo and Onyx Boox's American web pages, the Libra 2 shows as $189.99 US currently on sale for $169.99 US while the Onyx Boox Page shows as $249.99 US. Hmmm.... 249.99 divided by 169.99 is 1.47 so about a 50% price increase. For $30 more than the Page, I could move up to an 8" screen with the Kobo Sage.
Advert
Old 07-29-2023, 05:51 PM   #66
Aktive
Enthusiast

I use my ereader for reading too but some of the things I read are not available as ebooks but they are on websites and apps. These books would cost me 1000s of eurs to purchase the physical copy of. I myself have a kobo libra 2 and felt very limited to what I can read and yes I know how to remove drm and convert ebooks.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:53 PM   #67
Aktive
Enthusiast

Over here the kobo libra 2 costs 200 eur. Onyx also has the Onyx Boox Leaf 2 which is around 200 usd. Also if the purchaser is going to read mostly pdfs a 13 inch screen would probably be better. Original poster needs to buy from the EU though.

Last edited by Aktive; 07-29-2023 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 05:57 PM   #68
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I use my ereader for reading too but some of the things I read are not available as ebooks but they are on websites and apps. These books would cost me 1000s of eurs to purchase the physical copy of. I myself have a kobo libra 2 and felt very limited to what I can read and yes I know how to remove drm and convert ebooks.
That's fine and no one has said that FOR YOU Android isn't the better option. But your needs are not universal and other people have different needs. I don't read books that are only available in proprietary apps, so that's irrelevant to me. And I'm not the only one. For some Android is better, for others it's another brand.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 05:57 PM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I take it the copies you are reading from websites and apps are low cost or free copies of textbooks? Last time I was purchasing textbooks in ebook form, most of them made the ereader look like a freebie. The only time I used an app to read an ebook was when I was on vacation and checked an ebook out of a local library which, oddly to me, used an app. Very friendly people, the Irish, and oddly willing to give me a short term library card.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:06 PM   #70
Aktive
Enthusiast

The books that I read from websites only have physical publications or scanned pdfs which I dont think are really nice to read on a 7" ereader personally.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:17 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
The books that I read from websites only have physical publications or scanned pdfs which I dont think are really nice to read on a 7" ereader personally.
The next question that comes to mind is what these rather expensive books are doing on those websites.

As for PDFs, when I need to read them on a portable devices, that's the main use for my iPad Pro. Even that doesn't help with some of the pages copied from a A1 sized foldout in the paper manual.
Old 07-29-2023, 06:26 PM   #72
Aktive
Enthusiast

Many are translations of old books, others have permission from the publisher.
Old 07-30-2023, 07:29 AM   #73
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
All new translations (All less than 50 to 70 years after death of translator) are copyright, no matter how old the the book.

Quote:
others have permission from the publisher.
Unlikely. Publishers might offer a copyright book for "free" on a commercial site as a promotion, but it's still copyright and can only be downloaded from that commercial site, where it may not remain "free".
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:00 AM   #74
kos25k
Connoisseur
kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!kos25k is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Amazon Kindle basic
Hello guys.Silly question,but will i be able to just transfer files between kindle kids edition 2019 and my PC? (copy-paste)

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 5 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
kos25k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 08:32 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
yeah but you cant read from apps and websites.
Sometimes your content is in an app. Some ebooks are in apps.
Why would you want to convert books or remove drm if you dont have to.
The web browser on the kobo is for instance very terrible, cant open many websites.
Some eBooks need a special app is true. But those eBooks I won't spend any money on. So that's not an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote