Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: March 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers? by Mary Roach 14 18.42%
The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan 2 2.63%
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot 3 3.95%
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things by Richard Wiseman 10 13.16%
American Notes by Charles Dickens 7 9.21%
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn 8 10.53%
A History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell 4 5.26%
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson 14 18.42%
The World Without Us by Alan Weisman 2 2.63%
On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin 3 3.95%
The Stranger Beside Me by Anne Rule 3 3.95%
The Greek Myths by Robert Graves 6 7.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Perhaps $32 would be a better price...
http://www.cyberread.com/The-Immorta...ecca/id344114/

So far, I haven't had issues with geo restrictions at cyberread.
Considering the list price is $26 and the discounted price is $15.60, $32 is outrageously high.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #62
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
My main gripe is the addition of the second "the."

But The World Without Us is my first choice!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #63
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
My main gripe is the addition of the second "the."
!
What second "the". There is no second "the".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #64
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
but... For the sixth edition of 1872, the short title was changed to The Origin of Species.

Per wikipedia
Speaking of this book in particular...

There are quite a few editions out there (both in e and p form) -- each recommending itself as the one to read. Printings of the first edition claim it is the purest expression of Darwin's thoughts, whereas later editions were watered down to please religious critics. On the other hand, printings of later editions claim to contain important corrections and clarifications. Middle editions describe themselves as a reasonable compromise between these two extremes.

For those who have read it, which edition would you recommend?
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK... so I finally voted.

BOb
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hey How can "Origin of Species" not have any votes? Didn't someone nominate it?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #67
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
There's an ongoing NatGeo series based on it and there was a stand alone documentary a while back, too. It's fascinating stuff and it's been on my TBR list for quite a while.
I saw the standalone documentary and it made me want to read it. It is currently on my counter to be leant out to a friend of mine who also wants to read it now.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #68
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It did get three nominations. It was in the poll last time too... I don't recall how well it did.

BOb
Old 03-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #69
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Maybe I did... I put 3 books down in my order of preference... My first preference was Stiff
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #70
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Maybe I did... I put 3 books down in my order of preference... My first preference was Stiff

Ah....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #71
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It did get three nominations. It was in the poll last time too... I don't recall how well it did.

BOb
Even though it's long and, as I recall from the last time I tried a taste, rather boring; I was half-hoping it would win so I'd have an excuse to finally read it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #72
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Even though it's long and, as I recall from the last time I tried a taste, rather boring; I was half-hoping it would win so I'd have an excuse to finally read it.
Same here. I want to read it, but when I try, a lot of other books seem to sneak past it onto my reading list
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #73
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm waiting for the movie.

Seriously though, why suffer through something you don't enjoy? The premise has been debated enough over the years that you probably already know most of it.
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #74
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipr View Post
I'm waiting for the movie.

Seriously though, why suffer through something you don't enjoy? The premise has been debated enough over the years that you probably already know most of it.
Because it's an Important Book - and even if you know the premise, it doesn't exactly hurt to get acquainted with one of the big milestones in biology research. Anyway, with what I have read - and heard - it's not unreadable at all. It's just not a book you can breeze through.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #75
Zipr
Zealot
Zipr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
OMG! I just checked out the Google Books preview of Stiffs. I'm not sure I could read that one. The first chapter starts out talking about fresh severed heads sitting in roasting pans to catch the drippings. It seems like you would need a real morbid curiousity to read the whole thing.

http://books.google.com/books?id=lDX...ce=gbs_ViewAPI
Zipr is offline   Reply With Quote