Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
thesn00ze
thesn00ze began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Book language English UK vs US - change setting

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with a language setting of my books. The books are written/set to UK English, my Calibre is set to UK English but the Miscellanous files (metadata.opf + toc.ncx) in each ebook is set to English (I assume it means US). This results in incorrect word count reading as there are two different languages in the book.

The only fix I have found so far is to change the line <dc:language>eng</dc:language> to "eng-gb"

https://imgur.com/a/Wtdqine

Last edited by thesn00ze; 09-03-2019 at 06:46 PM.
thesn00ze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can always change the language by hand, as you discovered. The calibre leanguage field does not support country specific language variants.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I usually put this in content.opf and make sure that there are no other language specs in any of the files (F&R usually works well)

Code:
<dc:language>en-GB</dc:language>
Spell check seems to use the correct dictionary:

'Colour' is OK, 'Color' is flagged
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
thesn00ze
thesn00ze began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Damn, I was hoping there would be a setting for it so that I don't have to do it manually for every single book

Thanks for the replies
thesn00ze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I believe that should be en (ISO 639-1), not eng in all cases for our purposes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
language metadata