Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-26-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
kso
Enthusiast
kso began at the beginning.

Device: Android, iPad, iPod, kindle {keyboard,fire7,hdx8.9} kobo, Sony PRS 600
EPUB, iBooks and Kindle media queries

There's little usable information about CSS @media queries for EPUB and Kindle out there. And what there is, is often wrong or outdated. Just a couple of weeks ago I was struggling with width and height as reported by iBooks (now called Apple Books) on iPhone and iPad: they're certainly not device pixels, and they're not what's quoted on various blogs and community sites.

And before you state the obvious: I'm not advocating the use of pixel based breakpoints, but sometimes it really helps to know what kind of device a story is read on so you stay in control.

In the end I made a small EPUB to figure out dimensions and other device facts, and that gave me the idea to ask you to lend a hand so I can collect and list the data gathered. Hopefully this gets enough traction that it stays current even when device updates or new devices pop up.

The "Ebook @Media Queries" EPUB (and an equivalent Kindle mobi) is at https://ebookfonts.uk/fdir/free-ebooks.html.

Last edited by DaleDe; 11-26-2018 at 12:53 PM. Reason: correct having an extra bracket in the link ]
kso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
There's little usable information about CSS @media queries for EPUB and Kindle out there. And what there is, is often wrong or outdated. Just a couple of weeks ago I was struggling with width and height as reported by iBooks (now called Apple Books) on iPhone and iPad: they're certainly not device pixels, and they're not what's quoted on various blogs and community sites.

And before you state the obvious: I'm not advocating the use of pixel based breakpoints, but sometimes it really helps to know what kind of device a story is read on so you stay in control.

In the end I made a small EPUB to figure out dimensions and other device facts, and that gave me the idea to ask you to lend a hand so I can collect and list the data gathered. Hopefully this gets enough traction that it stays current even when device updates or new devices pop up.

The "Ebook @Media Queries" EPUB (and an equivalent Kindle mobi) is at https://ebookfonts.uk/fdir/free-ebooks.html.
Hm.....the download seems to be timing out for me? Is it just moi?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hm.....the download seems to be timing out for me? Is it just moi?

Hitch
Works for me and I'm further from the UK than thee Here's what it says:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	168025

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Works for me and I'm further from the UK than thee Here's what it says:

Attachment 168025

BR
Uh...no, I was talking about the download link, not the website link? On that URL, the one initially linked in his/her post, there's a link to download the ePUB, right after where it says "click here." ???

Hitch
Old 11-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Uh...no, I was talking about the download link, not the website link? On that URL, the one initially linked in his/her post, there's a link to download the ePUB, right after where it says "click here." ???

Hitch

All the links on that page time out, including the Home etc buttons at the top, and the Contact link at the bottom.

BTW the OP is probably a 'he' - Klaus Schallhorn

BR
Advert
Old 11-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

All the links on that page time out, including the Home etc buttons at the top, and the Contact link at the bottom.

BTW the OP is probably a 'he' - Klaus Schallhorn

BR
You are probably right (on the s/he). I'm glad to know it's not just me with the time outs! ;-) I move so many files each day that sometimes, I'm 99.999999% sure that my ISP throttles me. (My "neighbor," which means, the guy down the way apiece was kvetching about how DREADFUL his bandwidth speed is, last Sunday. I am between him and the fiber optic, right? I was )

Hitch
Old 11-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

How China diverts, then spies on Australia's internet traffic
Old 11-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

LOL, yeah, that's me, except in my case it's probably Putin jackin' my bandwidth, dang it!

Hitch
Old 11-27-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
kso
Enthusiast

This is really really weird. Just tried the download (again) and it works, same goes for all the links on any of these pages. Have you answered the simple math question to show you're not a robot? Must have, otherwise you get a "Bad Request" answer.

That server runs a copy of fail2ban to guard against whatnot, but the limits allow normal web browsing w/o a problem.

klaus
Old 11-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
This is really really weird. Just tried the download (again) and it works, same goes for all the links on any of these pages. Have you answered the simple math question to show you're not a robot? Must have, otherwise you get a "Bad Request" answer.

That server runs a copy of fail2ban to guard against whatnot, but the limits allow normal web browsing w/o a problem.

klaus
Nope, I've never seen the robot. I get:

Quote:
This site can’t be reached
ebookfonts.uk took too long to respond.
Hitch
Old 11-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
kso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nope, I've never seen the robot. I get:

Hitch
Gets weirder all the time. Must have been a routing issue somewhere between Putin and you. The server's last reboot was more than 6 weeks ago.
Just out of interest, where are you situated? I'm in the UK and I'm hosting in the UK, so there's obviously no issue for me.

klaus
Old 11-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Gets weirder all the time. Must have been a routing issue somewhere between Putin and you. The server's last reboot was more than 6 weeks ago.
Just out of interest, where are you situated? I'm in the UK and I'm hosting in the UK, so there's obviously no issue for me.

klaus
Phoenix, Arizona, USA. I don't normally have weirdo issues like this, fwiw. I get other weirdo issues. :-)

Hitch
Old 11-28-2018, 03:40 AM   #13
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I tried to download the links when the topic was first posted, and got all the same issues as Hitch. I just tried now and the downloads work.

Although the robot math problems were annoying. (I was also able to get around many of them by just going Back/Forward in my browser. It gave me the same exact math question.) :P

PS. The font you use in your ebooks, Arsenal, is much too thin to read on screen. I had to bump up the zoom in Sigil and my eyes still hurt.

Also, some of your buttons here:

https://ebookfonts.uk/cgi-bin/ffdl.cgi?j=fb

link to the same exact files, even though they have different filenames.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-28-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #14
kso
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
... I just tried now and the downloads work.

Although the robot math problems were annoying. (I was also able to get around many of them by just going Back/Forward in my browser. It gave me the same exact math question.) :P
I know. It's intentional. Scripts hunting for abusable forms don't cache things, browsers do. And although the math can be annoying, I find it easier than captchas with pictures, especially fuzzy photos shot through a dirty lens.

Quote:
PS. The font you use in your ebooks, Arsenal, is much too thin to read on screen. I had to bump up the zoom in Sigil and my eyes still hurt.
Sorry 'bout that. Font is set to 16px at the moment, but although I'm already juggling three glasses (monitor, books and everything else) and dreading a cataract operation in the very near future I thought nobody's eyesight will be worse than mine. I'll look into that.

Quote:

That, dear Sir, was a bug, sort of. When you're requesting a download while another one is in progress, some gremlins became active. They're caged up now.

Thanks for the feedback.

klaus

PS: I've set the font-size to 100% now, so it'll be as large or small as you configured in your browser.

Last edited by kso; 11-28-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I tried to download the links when the topic was first posted, and got all the same issues as Hitch. I just tried now and the downloads work.

I had to go back past the math question to the main download page and then back to the math question to stop getting the same ebook every time. It was fun trying to download the raster and vector versions of the Fonts ebook until I worked this out.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote