Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #16
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I hear what everyone here is saying, but I have to agree with Deb (the original poster). There is something about paying more for an ebook than for a hardback or paperback that leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, and I really don't care what the reason is that Amazon is charging more for an ebook.
Ahh, but that's just the thing. Amazon is free to charge more for the book, but you don't have to pay it. I go to amazon's own site and find the cheapest used copy available. They just lost the sale of an electronic copy, and since it's a re-sale, the author/publisher lost revenue. Eventually they may learn.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Surest solution is to just not buy ebooks that cost more than the paperback.

I agree it should be cheaper since there's no printing or shipping costs to the publisher or Amazon, so I'll just refuse to buy ebooks that aren't cheaper that the physical copies.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I hear what everyone here is saying, but I have to agree with Deb (the original poster). There is something about paying more for an ebook than for a hardback or paperback that leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, and I really don't care what the reason is that Amazon is charging more for an ebook.
Well you could always wait until the remainders sell out. Then the ebook will be cheaper than the HC again.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Surest solution is to just not buy ebooks that cost more than the paperback.

I agree it should be cheaper since there's no printing or shipping costs to the publisher or Amazon, so I'll just refuse to buy ebooks that aren't cheaper that the physical copies.
Yep. Some even go so far as to write the publisher and tell them they're not going to buy either the paper or the digital copy for this reason.

Of course, others will just go get an illegal copy. They really need to figure this out. As Deb says, with print they compete with resale (as well as borrowing from friends or the library). With ebooks, they compete with free. If they try to shaft the customers that are willing to actually give them money, they will just increase the ranks of illegal downloaders. One wrong doesn't justify another but people do use it to rationalize piracy all the time regardless.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #20
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I'm too impatient sometimes, and will spend the money regardless of the price difference. Time is money.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #21
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ahh, but that's just the thing. Amazon is free to charge more for the book, but you don't have to pay it. I go to amazon's own site and find the cheapest used copy available. They just lost the sale of an electronic copy, and since it's a re-sale, the author/publisher lost revenue. Eventually they may learn.

I'm not buying ANY more DTBs.

I have 4 pages worth of books on my K2, I can't think of a situation where I'll HAVE to buy a book.

If a particular title isn't available in Kindle format, I'll click the "I'd like...", and then move on.

If I want to read a book and it's available in Kindle format, it's on my Kindle. I'm not spending any time comparison shopping. except in cases where there are more than one Kindle versions available...

There are simply too many books to read for me to stress about this.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:05 AM   #22
Custos.Morum
Custos.Morum began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why shouldn't it cost more.

Since it is already digital nobody has to scan it or proof it to pirate it.

[post edited by moderator to remove illegal links. please do not post info about illegal file sharing here. thank you.

--Moderator.]
Custos.Morum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custos.Morum View Post
Since it is already digital nobody has to scan it or proof it to pirate it.

[post edited by moderator to remove illegal links. please do not post info about illegal file sharing here. thank you.

--Moderator.]
REMINDER :

mobileread does not allow information about illegal downloads. Please don't post links to illegal material here.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #24
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Frankly, book publishers (and Amazon) are struggling with digital media (hopefully eventually they will understand its potential). This is the same thing that the music and movie industry are working through. They are just further along. Fact is that paying more for an ebook than a hard copy from Amazon is rather insulting. We are only purchasing the use of this media on a Kindle. This cannot be loaned to a friend or given as a donation to needy group. I am really struggling with this issue. It is a shame that publishers are not pricing these appropriately. There is more value to a hard copy book than a drm'd ebook, period.

Just my thoughts on this....
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Frankly, book publishers (and Amazon) are struggling with digital media (hopefully eventually they will understand its potential). This is the same thing that the music and movie industry are working through. They are just further along. Fact is that paying more for an ebook than a hard copy from Amazon is rather insulting. We are only purchasing the use of this media on a Kindle. This cannot be loaned to a friend or given as a donation to needy group. I am really struggling with this issue. It is a shame that publishers are not pricing these appropriately. There is more value to a hard copy book than a drm'd ebook, period.

While I generally agree that pricing should be lower, if you're going to expect ebooks to compete price wise with bargain table books that are highly discounted I don't think your expectations are usually going to be met. That's like expecting an ebook to cost less than a book from a used bookstore.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #26
dschill
Connoisseur
dschill began at the beginning.

Device: none
i don't mind paying for books i buy from amazon....cause if the book is worth it...then it will have a decent price. The thing is if people stop paying then the REAL writers will just vanish and we *the readers* will be left with a bunch of garbage wrote by someone who had no idea what they were writing.
dschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #27
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
While I generally agree that pricing should be lower, if you're going to expect ebooks to compete price wise with bargain table books that are highly discounted I don't think your expectations are usually going to be met. That's like expecting an ebook to cost less than a book from a used bookstore.
I feel that if a new book is out in hardcover and is $20 and the ebook is $15 I am ok with that... but when it is in paperback and generally available for $7.50 then the ebook should be $6. In this scenario everybody wins... but I can loan out the paperback and the hardcover so to me, the ebook is worth less.
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #28
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
I feel that if a new book is out in hardcover and is $20 and the ebook is $15 I am ok with that... but when it is in paperback and generally available for $7.50 then the ebook should be $6. In this scenario everybody wins... but I can loan out the paperback and the hardcover so to me, the ebook is worth less.
RA
Sounds right. For me $15 would have to be a book I really want. Of course most Hardcovers now retail for more like $26-$30. For paperback 'equivalents' it'd be nice if they could settle in around $4-$6.

Of course they could smarten up and skip DRM, but that'll be awhile yet.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Personally I think the appropriate price range for an ebook is between $3-$10.
You are very limited as to what you can do with them. You can't lend them out, you can't donate or re-sale. Each sale produces profit for the publisher, where as the printed versions compete with a used market. (both compete with illegal methods so I won't count those).

The lower operating cost of electronically producing vs. printing / storing physical books should be more than enough to offset the difference in pricing.

Although with all open markets sellers will try to get the most they can, and buyers want the cheapest price. What will be determined as "fair" by consumers and publishers is still being worked out.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:48 PM   #30
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
They might have a lot of stock of the pbooks, as opposed to the ebook where the stock is 1 virtual copy and they have no incentive to lower the cost (to get rid of the additional copies). It is a crappy situation though.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote