Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #2356
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
@knc1

this is what I was thinking about in the previous post.

As I recall from the bricking, it is because of a bad uBoot.

I wonder if it is possible to put the uBoot and uImage from from 5.8.10, and the rootFS from PW3-4gb 5.7.4.

I can inspect the rootFS with TestDisk, and I cannot see anything hardware specific in it ( at least, nothing major, all of that shoudl be in the kernal uImage. ), and I have a strong suspicion this would work.

I am going to do this with the PW3-4G I have at home, just as a proof of concept, but to test on PW-32 I would need a volunteer to possibly brick thier device.

@anhyeuviolet, do you think your friend would be interested in testing this at all?
Before it comes to that point, perhaps there is someone with the device that is willing to do a serial JB? With that done it should be possible to retrieve some of the information you are interested in and then run some test software developed specifically to diagnose the situation.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:31 PM   #2357
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
@knc1

I wonder if it is possible to put the uBoot and uImage from from 5.8.10, and the rootFS from PW3-4gb 5.7.4.

I can inspect the rootFS with TestDisk, and I cannot see anything hardware specific in it ( at least, nothing major, all of that shoudl be in the kernal uImage. ), and I have a strong suspicion this would work.

I am going to do this with the PW3-4G I have at home, just as a proof of concept, but to test on PW-32 I would need a volunteer to possibly brick thier device.

@anhyeuviolet, do you think your friend would be interested in testing this at all?
Not a "bad" u-boot, just one that does not properly recognize the hardware of the PW3-32.

The 5.7.4 factory version pre-dates the PW3-32.
In fact, Amazon/Lab126 had started protecting the factory initial firmware from being recovered prior to the introduction of the PW3-32.
I don't want to give any hints if their current actions make things harder or easier for us in public.
Just let that one lie at "they changed their production" routines.

If you "move" a u-image, then remember to also move the matching /lib/firmware/* and /lib/modules/* from the system image.

I.E: The u-image does not have the full set of loadable modules, some of them are in the system image file.
And you want to move the sub-trees from the starting point I showed above, to be certain to get all of the matching, generated, files.

= = = =

Somewhere around here, maybe even in this very thread, I tested both the firmware image from Amazon-Japan and Amazon-USA and found that they are now identical.
But I don't recall what version that was 5.8.8.? or 5.8.9?
I used a public proxy server in Tokyo just so I was certain Amazon's distribution system was sending me the Japanese update package.

Sometime after they mis-shipped that version that contained that more versatile u-boot build.
(If mixing and matching, it might be worthwhile to use that one.)

= = = =

There have been PW3-32 owners asking about the serial port adapters.
But I don't recall reading any success reports.

- - - - -

@coplate: I PM'd you the nick of one person that has one and might be willing to test (in addition to the subject of the PM).

Last edited by knc1; 08-03-2017 at 12:43 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #2358
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you "move" a u-image, then remember to also move the matching /lib/firmware/* and /lib/modules/* from the system image.

I.E: The u-image does not have the full set of loadable modules, some of them are in the system image file.
And you want to move the sub-trees from the starting point I showed above, to be certain to get all of the matching, generated, files.
I will check out those files. and I'll get ahold of this other guy.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #2359
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PaperWhite Manga
Quote:
That version does not have the "prevent factory firmware install" protection.
IF we had the factory firmware for the PW3-32G available, but we DO NOT have that available.

DO NOT use the PW3-4G factory firmware on the PW3-32G device, it will brick the device.
People have tried that already and satisfied themselves that it produces a very expensive paperweight.
Thanks for your noted.
Because my PW3-32G can use bin file from AMZ US, so I think there is a chance.

Quote:
@knc1

@coplate I asked him. Look like I am the only one who care about JB a Manga device from this Group. Another using PPW-4G
anhyeuviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #2360
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
Thanks for your noted.
Because my PW3-32G can use bin file from AMZ US, so I think there is a chance.

@coplate I asked him. Look like I am the only one who care about JB a Manga device from this Group. Another using PPW-4G
There is about a dozen.
None active here, just silently waiting.

You need to keep in mind the history and timing of the firmware developments:
The 5.7.4 factory version we use now was created before:
The PW3-32 was created.
The first few customer firmwares from Amazon where different for the PW3-4 and the PW3-32.
But since then, they have been combined, the same firmware update package is used on all PW3 devices.

= = = = =

I did check on hiring a purchasing agent firm to buy a PW3-32 in Tokyo and then ship it to me in the USA.
But that makes an already expensive device cost almost twice as much.
Way, way, beyond what I can afford to spend on something just to test things on.

I gave up reading "graphic novels" (comic books, manga) about 65 years ago.
I don't see myself becoming interested in them again.
Advert
Old 08-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #2361
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Quote:
There is about a dozen.
None active here, just silently waiting.

You need to keep in mind the history and timing of the firmware developments:
The 5.7.4 factory version we use now was created before:
The PW3-32 was created.
The first few customer firmwares from Amazon where different for the PW3-4 and the PW3-32.
But since then, they have been combined, the same firmware update package is used on all PW3 devices.

= = = = =

I did check on hiring a purchasing agent firm to buy a PW3-32 in Tokyo and then ship it to me in the USA.
But that makes an already expensive device cost almost twice as much.
Way, way, beyond what I can afford to spend on something just to test things on.

I gave up reading "graphic novels" (comic books, manga) about 65 years ago.
I don't see myself becoming interested in them again.
Thanks for your reply.
It clearly solved some questions in my mind.

The Group that I meant in my previous post is a Group from Facebook that collect users of Kindle PPW. So sorry if there is any misunderstanding I created.
They are about satisfied with their device, w/o JB. I've follow this thread to know if there is somebody can do that and I can also say" we can do that".

// So sorry but Can I ask how old are you ? Because you said about "gave up reading "graphic novels" (comic books, manga) about 65 years ago" ....
Old 08-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #2362
knc1
Going Viral

A few months away from 72.

<<<--- That is a self portrait, not an avatar.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #2363
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:

coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #2364
anhyeuviolet
Reset

Quote:

Thank you. I've got it.
What a great avatar.

I meant a portrait.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:08 AM   #2365
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
To keep on with OT a bit (and then endig it immediately): There are really a lot of adults loving and reading "graphic novels" even in ages like me (60+) and even if they are/were intended (mainly/primarily) for childs - but hey! - on a black&white screen?? Why do they even think about such nonsense? (Okay, "comic classics" may be b&w only also in their original form, and thus are really suited for reading on e-ink Kindles then.)

Seems to be really a cultural phenomenon - that's why this 32GB Kindle variant is for the Eastasian market only...

<----- BTW: definitely not a portrait, really just an avatar!
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #2366
Aroth
Enthusiast
Aroth began at the beginning.

Device: KV (5.8.10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
To keep on with OT a bit (and then endig it immediately): There are really a lot of adults loving and reading "graphic novels" even in ages like me (60+) and even if they are/were intended (mainly/primarily) for childs - but hey! - on a black&white screen?? Why do they even think about such nonsense? (Okay, "comic classics" may be b&w only also in their original form, and thus are really suited for reading on e-ink Kindles then.)

Seems to be really a cultural phenomenon - that's why this 32GB Kindle variant is for the Eastasian market only...

<----- BTW: definitely not a portrait, really just an avatar!
From what I understand, the 32gb variant "Kindle Paperwhite Manga Edition" is primarily marketed towards Japan, where said graphic novels/comics are primarily printed in black and white in the first place. Color pages in a serialized manga are generally special releases to commemorate some milestone or recognition of popularity (like a character ranking high in a popularity poll for the magazine its published in).
Aroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #2367
mathATX
mathATX began at the beginning.

Device: KOA
Hello,

I have seen that the instructions were updated and that the jailbreak is now known to work with firmware version 5.8.9.0.1. I have a KOA that I bought with firmware version 5.8.9 and I have made sure to prevent any further updates.

I was wondering if the following would work : could I update my 5.8.9 firmware version to 5.8.9.0.1 and then do the jailbreak ? I tried to look for the firmware version 5.8.9.0.1 on the amazon website but only 5.8.10 is available for KOA.

Thanks for your advice !
mathATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #2368
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathATX View Post
Hello,

I have seen that the instructions were updated and that the jailbreak is now known to work with firmware version 5.8.9.0.1. I have a KOA that I bought with firmware version 5.8.9 and I have made sure to prevent any further updates.

I was wondering if the following would work : could I update my 5.8.9 firmware version to 5.8.9.0.1 and then do the jailbreak ? I tried to look for the firmware version 5.8.9.0.1 on the amazon website but only 5.8.10 is available for KOA.

Thanks for your advice !
5.8.9.0.1 was shipped in error on some new devices.
It is not an (intentional) release by Amazon.

Copy the download URL @ the Amazon page for your device -
Change the version numeric string to 5.8.9.0.1 from whatever it is (5.8.10 currently) -
Put the edited URL in your browser's address bar, click 'load' (or 'go or whatever).

If you get that version of the update, let us know (and copy the edited link you used into your success report).
Old 08-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #2369
mathATX
mathATX began at the beginning.

Device: KOA
Quote:
5.8.9.0.1 was shipped in error on some new devices.
It is not an (intentional) release by Amazon.

Copy the download URL @ the Amazon page for your device -
Change the version numeric string to 5.8.9.0.1 from whatever it is (5.8.10 currently) -
Put the edited URL in your browser's address bar, click 'load' (or 'go or whatever).

If you get that version of the update, let us know (and copy the edited link you used into your success report).
Hello knc1,
Thanks for your answer,
I tried to follow your instructions, the link for the KOA update is :
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...sis_5.8.10.bin.

I can modify the numeric string to 5.8.9 or even 5.8.8 and download the corresponding firmware but unfortunately 5.8.9.0.1 (https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow..._5.8.9.0.1.bin.) does not work.
So I guess it's a dead end,

Thanks for your suggestion though !
mathATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #2370
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathATX View Post
Hello knc1,
Thanks for your answer,
I tried to follow your instructions, the link for the KOA update is :
https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...sis_5.8.10.bin.

I can modify the numeric string to 5.8.9 or even 5.8.8 and download the corresponding firmware but unfortunately 5.8.9.0.1 (https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow..._5.8.9.0.1.bin.) does not work.
So I guess it's a dead end,

Thanks for your suggestion though !
It had to come from somewhere and your post gave no indication of where in the world you might be trying to contact Amazon.
So the only way to know, was for you to try.

All I know for certain is that people in the USA can not access that version.