Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #2341
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudDib View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding, work always gets in the way. And I realize this might not be the right forum so I can take this somewhere else if you want. I was looking for an answer about updating (hence this forum) so having received that answer I can take it outside of this post.

This happened around the first of July. I added a book on July 5th with no issues and then added a book on July 9th and that is when the issue started. Only thing I can think of was an update to Calibre but no one else in Calibre seems to have this issue. I do the same thing with every book, add to Calibre, convert to mobi, add a book cover I like set to a certain size and then add by USB to kindle.

As to what do I have installed, I am not sure what kTerm is or USB networking so I would imagine that I don't. I am not sure about the rescue pack. I remember reading one of your posts about it and then looking more into it but I don't remember if I actually installed it. I would have thought I did because I have been conscious of not updating beyond where I am at and if I had the rescue installed, it would help if I accidentally reset the device.

Is this something I can install twice?

I could also reinstall Calibre to see if the update caused the issue (although I have updated a couple of times since and still have the problem).

I have been on this update for sometime now (probably since it was pushed out by Amazon). I have since added the folder to keep it from updating. The kindle is not in list view as I can see all of the other covers to books.

So maybe it was a book that has caused this issue? It seems like you are saying I should remove all books and then add them back (one at a time) to see if that will fix it. I will think more on this, as I would be even more annoyed if it doesn't fix it but removes covers for all the books.

If you can think of anything else I can try, let me know. Thanks for the help, I have been amazed by your willingness to answer a lot of questions over the years while keeping it cool.
Just remove and re-add all books since the problem started. Not the ones that were already there.

Double check or triple check all your setting in both Calibre and on your device.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #2342
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Possibly relevant, newly added books in KF8/azw3 format marked as personal documents (cdetype=PDOC) will not show cover thumbnails in firmware 5.8.5 or later.
Quote:
- - -
I do the same thing with every book, add to Calibre, convert to mobi, add a book cover I like set to a certain size and then add by USB to kindle.
- - -
You have reinstalled Calibre several times.
Are all the settings now the same as before the problem started?

I don't use it, but can't it produce a combined mobi/azw3?
The above behavior change might apply to those combined book conversions also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Just remove and re-add all books since the problem started. Not the ones that were already there.

Double check or triple check all your setting in both Calibre and on your device.
Right! I should have said that.
No reason to disturb the books which do not exhibit the problem.

I am leaning towards an inadvertent change to the Calibre installation or its options.
Possible differences in output format with the update and/or re-installation of Calibre.

Yes, you can install rescue pack twice without harm.
It would be nice to have it on the device, we can walk you through howto use it if you should ever need it.

Last edited by knc1; 07-31-2017 at 10:20 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 PM   #2343
MaudDib
MaudDib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You have reinstalled Calibre several times.
Are all the settings now the same as before the problem started?

I don't use it, but can't it produce a combined mobi/azw3?
The above behavior change might apply to those combined book conversions also.

Right! I should have said that.
No reason to disturb the books which do not exhibit the problem.

I am leaning towards an inadvertent change to the Calibre installation or its options.
Possible differences in output format with the update and/or re-installation of Calibre.

Yes, you can install rescue pack twice without harm.
It would be nice to have it on the device, we can walk you through howto use it if you should ever need it.
Ok and thanks both of you. I will work on it more tomorrow. I didn't change anything in Calibre, I have been doing pretty much the same thing for years now. I also have deleted the books more than a few times and tried different ones, all with the same issue. I did this through Calibre not through the documents folder so maybe something is showing up there that isn't on Calibre and causing an issue.

I will also install the rescue Peck just in case. Also not sure about the mobi/azw causing a problem so I will look at that as well. I think I have a book or two that might fall into that category.

Thanks again
MaudDib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:04 PM   #2344
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Ok and thanks both of you. I will work on it more tomorrow. I didn't change anything in Calibre, I have been doing pretty much the same thing for years now. I also have deleted the books more than a few times and tried different ones, all with the same issue. I did this through Calibre not through the documents folder so maybe something is showing up there that isn't on Calibre and causing an issue.

I will also install the rescue Peck just in case. Also not sure about the mobi/azw causing a problem so I will look at that as well. I think I have a book or two that might fall into that category.

Thanks again
You may not have physically changed anything but double check anyway as it is a computer program and they do what they want at times.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:49 AM   #2345
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PaperWhite Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If you do not want to do the serial jailbreak, then I recommend you follow the instructions in this post.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2287
It gives you many ideas on what to do with your very long wait for a software jailbreak.
Thanks for you post
I am good at waiting.

My PPW is Manga version without Ads and I have a tons of manga in my HDD.
I've waited 2 years to buy a PPW Manga, I can wait until it is supported and can be JBed

Last edited by anhyeuviolet; 08-01-2017 at 12:53 AM.
anhyeuviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2017, 02:44 AM   #2346
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Possibly relevant, newly added books in KF8/azw3 format marked as personal documents (cdetype=PDOC) will not show cover thumbnails in firmware 5.8.5 or later.
Yep, actually books didn't have covers after I downgraded from 5.8.9 to 5.7.4 I did a factory reset on 5.7.4 and then still the covers seemed missing. I had to take out books and put them back one by one allow each to index before putting the next one in!

Try this one!
This is wat worked for me
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #2347
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Yep, actually books didn't have covers after I downgraded from 5.8.9 to 5.7.4 I did a factory reset on 5.7.4 and then still the covers seemed missing. I had to take out books and put them back one by one allow each to index before putting the next one in!

Try this one!
This is wat worked for me
It wasn't the indexing, but it was some of the other actions taken on a new addition that extracted the thumbnail of the cover view.

The O.P. who asked this question must include the "remove problem books, their associated folders, and re-install them" when fixing the problem. *
Just like Cinisajoy told him to do.

(*) If the sidecar information directory for the book is left behind, then the Kindle will not repeat the "new addition" processing and it will look as if the problem is un-changed regardless of what 'fix' is used.

# 14 28 0

Last edited by knc1; 08-01-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #2348
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
I only stated that something had gotten corrupted, not what, when, or where.
Your friend's findings are the same.
I wasn't implying that you were wrong. Just that the causes most likely (in my opinion) are not in the kindle, but in calibre.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #2349
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhyeuviolet View Post
Thanks for you post
I am good at waiting.

My PPW is Manga version without Ads and I have a tons of manga in my HDD.
I've waited 2 years to buy a PPW Manga, I can wait until it is supported and can be JBed

It may be too late for you, but I have an idea on jailbreaking the manga model.

Can you confirm your software version, and have you prevented it from ever doing a wifi update?

If you have not, this definitely will not work.

@knc1

I want to get your thoughts on this.

Right now, the manga model and the US PW3 appear to have the same download: https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...ite_5.8.10.bin

I'm not ready to recommend anyone try this, because I have a differnt idea, but I am thinking about re-packaging this update into a FB02 package ( like the factory firmware ) , that has these three componenets.

uboot from 5.8.10 update
uImage from 5.8.10 update
rootfs from vulnerable PW3 5.7.4 update.

my understanding of the rootfs is that it should be separate from the uboot and the kernel ( uimage ), in enough ways that it should not brick the device., and the rootfs shoudl not have any hardware specific stuff that might break a pw3-32GB. I think the only significant differce between them are the board ID that are in uboot, and the amount of memory in uboot and the kernel, but I dont think any of the linux userland stuff is affected by that.

At least when I do a diff on the extracted rootfs from 5.8.1 and 5.8.10, I don't see any references to hardware.

What is your first impression on this based on gut feeling about how people have bricked before?

Last edited by coplate; 08-01-2017 at 08:28 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #2350
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
It may be too late for you, but I have an idea on jailbreaking the manga model.

Can you confirm your software version, and have you prevented it from ever doing a wifi update?

If you have not, this definitely will not work.
Thanks for your post !
I've done a mistake. I updated it to 5.8.10.
When it shipped to me, it running on something like 5.9.x.xx
After update, I think about JB.

Another note, I updated my PP Manga with update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.10.bin

Last edited by anhyeuviolet; 08-02-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #2351
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your post !
I've done a mistake. I updated it to 5.8.10.
When it shipped to me, it running on something like 5.9.x.xx
After update, I think about JB.

Another note, I updated my PP Manga with update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.10.bin

Yes, if you have done an update, the thing I was thinking about definitely will not work.

I will be trying to test it for future people who have right out of the box, but it is not ready to give to anyone.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #2352
anhyeuviolet
Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Yes, if you have done an update, the thing I was thinking about definitely will not work.

I will be trying to test it for future people who have right out of the box, but it is not ready to give to anyone.
Let me guess, you are thinking about modify an update and push it into PPW, make a path to JB it ?
I am not good at this

// I can wait, again
Old 08-03-2017, 12:28 AM   #2353
anhyeuviolet
Reset

Checked with my friend.
PPW Manga out of box come with Kindle 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011).
As #1, it can be JBed, right ?

// Look like I've done something too dump to make my PPW Manga un-JB-able
Old 08-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #2354
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Checked with my friend.
PPW Manga out of box come with Kindle 5.8.9.0.1 (3175970011).
As #1, it can be JBed, right ?

// Look like I've done something too dump to make my PPW Manga un-JB-able
That version does not have the "prevent factory firmware install" protection.
IF we had the factory firmware for the PW3-32G available, but we DO NOT have that available.

DO NOT use the PW3-4G factory firmware on the PW3-32G device, it will brick the device.
People have tried that already and satisfied themselves that it produces a very expensive paperweight.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #2355
coplate
Guru

Quote:
That version does not have the "prevent factory firmware install" protection.
IF we had the factory firmware for the PW3-32G available, but we DO NOT have that available.

DO NOT use the PW3-4G factory firmware on the PW3-32G device, it will brick the device.
People have tried that already and satisfied themselves that it produces a very expensive paperweight.

@knc1

this is what I was thinking about in the previous post.

As I recall from the bricking, it is because of a bad uBoot.

I wonder if it is possible to put the uBoot and uImage from from 5.8.10, and the rootFS from PW3-4gb 5.7.4.

I can inspect the rootFS with TestDisk, and I cannot see anything hardware specific in it ( at least, nothing major, all of that shoudl be in the kernal uImage. ), and I have a strong suspicion this would work.

I am going to do this with the PW3-4G I have at home, just as a proof of concept, but to test on PW-32 I would need a volunteer to possibly brick thier device.

@anhyeuviolet, do you think your friend would be interested in testing this at all?