Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #2251
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JotaCe View Post
I did. And I saw that this method will not work form that firmware. I wondered if it would exist any workaround. I suspect that you answer means not.
Do you want the short answer or the long answer?
The short answer is no.

The longer answer is as soon as there is a firmware jailbreak for the newer firmwares it will be added to the first post.

When will that be? No one knows.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #2252
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
got now my new kindle pw3 5.8.9.0.1
added the folder update.bin.tmp.partial
soon i'll try with the jailbreak
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #2253
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JotaCe View Post
I did. And I saw that this method will not work form that firmware. I wondered if it would exist any workaround. I suspect that you answer means not.
My answer means: No.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #2254
challenges90
challenges90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Remove the last part of your serial number from your post. Example in the quote I made here.

Remove any update_*.bin file from the top of visible USB storage.
Either ours or any received over Wifi.

Enable 'Airplane Mode'

Now repeat Step #1.
Did you find your device's serial number in the table?

Now tell me what part of:

did not translate for you?
Specifically the: STOP HERE part of the second sentence.

You will have to re-package the 'hotfix' update_*.bin file to recognize your model using KindleTool.
Although KindleTool does not have your model built-in, it can be used to build a package for a model passed on its command line.

Somebody here will help you with doing that if you have any problems doing it yourself.

Do not update the Kindle away from the 'factory use only' firmware until you have installed the 'hotfix' package.
Without the 'hotfix' package, any update will wipe out the jail break.

You will have to re-package the KUAL booklet the same way.
Also, any other package in an: update_*.bin format file name.
The last version of KindleTool is 1.6.4(I can't find the 1.6.5 version on GitHub.) How to re-package the bin files for a unsupported model by using command line? And does the update_*.bin include official firmware?
challenges90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #2255
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenges90 View Post
The last version of KindleTool is 1.6.4(I can't find the 1.6.5 version on GitHub.) How to re-package the bin files for a unsupported model by using command line? And does the update_*.bin include official firmware?
Do nothing at all.
I have someone who volunteered to see if they can make a special 'hotfix' package for your use.

?? "update_*.bin" include offical firmware ??
What do you mean by that?

That same filename format is used by both Amazon and by ourselves because we use the same updater provide with the Kindle.
(Which is why the filename forms are the same.)

Both contain "official firmware" -
The ones from Amazon, what Amazon considers "official".
The ones from Mobileread, what Mobileread considers "official".
Both sources of those packages sign the packages with an RSA key.
Amazon uses their key, we use our key.

Now just what is it that you are trying to ask?
Advert
Old 07-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #2256
Trigun
Connoisseur

knc1 with Firmware 5.8.9.0.1 with build ID: (3175970011) i need to follow the guide from step 1 or need to do something first?
Old 07-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #2257
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
knc1 with Firmware 5.8.9.0.1 with build ID: (3175970011) i need to follow the guide from step 1 or need to do something first?
Step 0 through Step 8.

The only thing special about that version is they (Amazon) forgot to build in the protection against this jail break procedure.

In computer science technology, they have a name for such events:
Old 07-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #2258
Trigun
Connoisseur

i'm stucked at step 5.... after i put the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz in the root folder and use the ;installHtml command i don't see anything (no page refresh no reboot)
edit actually i see a page refresh but no reboot

Last edited by Trigun; 07-20-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #2259
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
i'm stucked at step 5.... after i put the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz in the root folder and use the ;installHtml command i don't see anything (no page refresh no reboot)
edit actually i see a page refresh but no reboot
OK, common problem, all too common a question:
Are you using a Mac?

If yes, blame the Mac for destroying the contents of the archive by making it what Apple thinks of as having "safe content".

= = = =

Where is that Mac owner that volunteered last week who can explain where to find that 'safe archive handling' option?
Old 07-20-2017, 04:36 PM   #2260
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Lemme go find that post and include a link to it.

Here it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2165
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #2261
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Do nothing at all.
I have someone who volunteered to see if they can make a special 'hotfix' package for your use.
Deleted, I misread things, will update when I come back fromthe store.

yes, kindle 5.8.10 update has these oasis'
Code:
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G Europe
Device         Kindle Oasis (Unknown Variant 0GT)
Device         Kindle Oasis (Unknown Variant 0GS)
Device         Kindle Oasis (Unknown Variant 0GR)
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi
Hotfix only supports these
Code:
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G
Device         Kindle Oasis WiFi+3G Europe

This command should repackage it correctly
Code:
set KT_WITH_UNKNOWN_DEVCODES=1
kindletool.exe convert Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin
kindletool.exe create ota2 -d 219 -d k4 Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install_converted.tar.gz Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PKOA_GR_install.bin

And here it is - try it at your own peril!

Edit; added -d k4 to force it to use update type FC04. This makes it work on my paperwhite3
Attached Files
File Type: bin Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PKOA_GR_install.bin (62.7 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by coplate; 07-21-2017 at 12:04 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #2262
Lowantong
Lowantong began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 3
Quote:
Remove the last part of your serial number from your post. Example in the quote I made here.

Remove any update_*.bin file from the top of visible USB storage.
Either ours or any received over Wifi.

Enable 'Airplane Mode'

Now repeat Step #1.
Did you find your device's serial number in the table?

Now tell me what part of:

did not translate for you?
Specifically the: STOP HERE part of the second sentence.

You will have to re-package the 'hotfix' update_*.bin file to recognize your model using KindleTool.
Although KindleTool does not have your model built-in, it can be used to build a package for a model passed on its command line.

Somebody here will help you with doing that if you have any problems doing it yourself.

Do not update the Kindle away from the 'factory use only' firmware until you have installed the 'hotfix' package.
Without the 'hotfix' package, any update will wipe out the jail break.

You will have to re-package the KUAL booklet the same way.
Also, any other package in an: update_*.bin format file name.
Thanks for your teaching.

I know my device's serial number not in the table, I just want to try.

I don't know how to re-package the 'hotfix' update_*.bin. Anybody can teach me?

Thanks again.
Lowantong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #2263
Trigun
Connoisseur

Quote:
OK, common problem, all too common a question:
Are you using a Mac?

If yes, blame the Mac for destroying the contents of the archive by making it what Apple thinks of as having "safe content".

= = = =

Where is that Mac owner that volunteered last week who can explain where to find that 'safe archive handling' option?
no pc windows 10
what kind of info you need? :-D
is a pw3 G090 G1 (now with firmware 5.7.4)

Last edited by Trigun; 07-20-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #2264
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
no pc windows 10

Can you go ahead and write down for us what versions of everything you used for steps 1-4, and what model of kindle it is ( the first 6 of the serial number you used in step 1 )

Also double check what version your kindle is running now in the settings screen.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #2265
Trigun
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Can you go ahead and write down for us what versions of everything you used for steps 1-4, and what model of kindle it is ( the first 6 of the serial number you used in step 1 )

Also double check what version your kindle is running now in the settings screen.
i think i edit the info when u was posting :-D
btw
is a pw3 G090 G1 (now with firmware 5.7.4)
i used the pw3 factory firmware update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin

Last edited by Trigun; 07-20-2017 at 10:22 PM.