Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2017, 03:46 AM   #2236
Karnivour
Karnivour began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Safe at this point, as the JB will remain, but you will need to reinstall much of the enhancements as only the JB itself is preserved over an update.
Thx Dave! Update 5.8.9.2 was succesfull and the screensaver is still working.

Now I can keep the PW3, thank you all for your help
Karnivour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:19 AM   #2237
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I do wish Amazon would make mistakes that allow me to shorten this first post - not add in more special conditions.
But we have had enough reports now, so for as long as the 'mistakes' remain in-stock ...

It was this 'just add a line or two' that made it grow to the size it is now.
(I do, from time to time, try to hack it back in size.)

Last edited by knc1; 07-15-2017 at 09:27 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM   #2238
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Confirm jailbreak survives on PW3 5.8.10.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #2239
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Confirm jailbreak survives on PW3 5.8.10.
That is nice to know.

Want to try using the PW3 'factory-initial' package on it?
See if it deletes it or if it will allow the factory firmware install (which is required to jb the PW3).

It should not matter if you already have the PW3 jail broken, the bridge code **should** jb the 'factory-initial' for you.

If it does install, you can always just manually upgrade back to where you came from (5.8.10).

= = = =

And I saw yesterday where you had added the 5.8.9..0.1 exception to your jb thread.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #2240
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is nice to know.

Want to try using the PW3 'factory-initial' package on it?
See if it deletes it or if it will allow the factory firmware install (which is required to jb the PW3).

It should not matter if you already have the PW3 jail broken, the bridge code **should** jb the 'factory-initial' for you.

If it does install, you can always just manually upgrade back to where you came from (5.8.10).

= = = =

And I saw yesterday where you had added the 5.8.9..0.1 exception to your jb thread.
I had unpacked the 5.8.9.2 code and found something ,I haven't had a chance to look at the same thing in 5.8.10.
In the image file inside the .bin, there is a new file called roughtly /etc/bundle_type.txt, that has "FB03" in it.

There are two other files /usr/bin/otav3 and /usr/lib/libota_utils.so.1.0 that have a function called 'shouldAllowDowngrade" and "shouldAllowFB02Bundle"

I can't dissassemble those binaries very well, by they do reference the file /mnt-rootfs/PRE_GM_DEBUGGING_FEATURES_ENABLED__REMOVE_AT_GMC and /mnt-rootfs/etc/bundle_type.txt

the PRE_GM_DEBUGGING_FEATURES_ENABLED__REMOVE_AT_GMC file is used to control some things that are not supposed to make it out the door.

So my guess is very strongly that we cannot downgrade to FB02 packages, unless we create that file ( which you would need to be jailbroken for, but he is ), and that file is referenced in a lot of shell scripts, so it may not be a good thing to leave it lying around.

Last edited by coplate; 07-17-2017 at 06:49 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #2241
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
PW3 5.8.10: downgrade to factory-initial firmare is impossible.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:30 PM   #2242
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
PW3 5.8.10: downgrade to factory-initial firmware is impossible.
Thank you for checking.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:10 AM   #2243
mcdull
mcdull began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 32GB
Is it hopeless for G090LL (KPW3 32GB) Users? It has been out for almost 2 years and still not any hack discovered.
I would really want to change those messy wallpaper.
mcdull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #2244
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdull View Post
Is it hopeless for G090LL (KPW3 32GB) Users? It has been out for almost 2 years and still not any hack discovered.
I would really want to change those messy wallpaper.
As long as there is a lack of PW3-32 developers posting their contributions here, then nothing new about them will be found here.
The device is not available outside of Japan, so don't expect any after-market development to be done outside of Japan.
This type of development can not be done without the hardware and a group of owners willing to test things at the risk of their devices.

Your more likely to see progress made by a native Japanese web-site / forum.
One with the people and the devices required to do after-market development.

= = = = =

I have checked with several "International Purchasing Services" -
That service would almost double the cost of an already expensive device.
That leaves me out of this ball game.
The people other than myself, with a background in after-market development, are either dead, dying or just gone from this site.

Last edited by knc1; 07-19-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:19 AM   #2245
nightauthor
nightauthor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Have a KV I just got a few days ago, want to disable the touchscreen to prevent accidental pageturns.

My KV is on 5.8.9.2 , and when I try to put the factory firmware on the device it wont take. I go to the menu and update is grayed out. I plugged the device back into my PC and the file had disappeared.

It looked like JB by serial would be an option for me, however I'm very hesitant to operate on my device that is brand new.

Is there anything else I am missing? Some other software JB method for the KV and this firmware version?
nightauthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:14 AM   #2246
Lowantong
Lowantong began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 3
KOA Help

My device is KOA, SN is G0B0 GR09 6182 00E7, 3G + Wi-Fi
Follow to the instructions from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877 by knc1

1/ Downgrade to v5.7.4 by “update_KOA_5.7.4_initial.bin” – ok (See attached pic_1)

2/ JB by “main-htmlviewer.tar.gz” – ok (See attached pic_2)

3/ Install “hotfix by Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin” - remove USB cable after copied the file, the device show up Update Error (See attached pic_3)

Have any idea about this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic_1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	158012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic_2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	158013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic_3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	158014  
Lowantong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:56 AM   #2247
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowantong View Post
My device is KOA, SN is G0B 0GR xx xxxx xxxx, 3G + Wi-Fi
Follow to the instructions from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877 by knc1

1/ Downgrade to v5.7.4 by “update_KOA_5.7.4_initial.bin” – ok (See attached pic_1)

2/ JB by “main-htmlviewer.tar.gz” – ok (See attached pic_2)

3/ Install “hotfix by Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin” - remove USB cable after copied the file, the device show up Update Error (See attached pic_3)

Have any idea about this problem?
Remove the last part of your serial number from your post. Example in the quote I made here.

Remove any update_*.bin file from the top of visible USB storage.
Either ours or any received over Wifi.

Enable 'Airplane Mode'

Now repeat Step #1.
Did you find your device's serial number in the table?

Now tell me what part of:
Quote:
The factory images **are not** model locked, your care taken with this step is your Kindle's only protection! If not found in the table, STOP HERE and tell us.
did not translate for you?
Specifically the: STOP HERE part of the second sentence.

You will have to re-package the 'hotfix' update_*.bin file to recognize your model using KindleTool.
Although KindleTool does not have your model built-in, it can be used to build a package for a model passed on its command line.

Somebody here will help you with doing that if you have any problems doing it yourself.

Do not update the Kindle away from the 'factory use only' firmware until you have installed the 'hotfix' package.
Without the 'hotfix' package, any update will wipe out the jail break.

You will have to re-package the KUAL booklet the same way.
Also, any other package in an: update_*.bin format file name.

Last edited by knc1; 07-20-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #2248
JotaCe
JotaCe doesn't litterJotaCe doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
I am sorry if this has been already answered before (sure it has), but it is difficult to find something in a thread of more than 2200 posts...

I want to jailbreak a PW2 with firmware 5.8.9.2. I have seen that this method does not work for this version, but... is there any way to downgrade this firmware to any other compatible with the jailbreak?

Thanks!
JotaCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #2249
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JotaCe View Post
I am sorry if this has been already answered before (sure it has), but it is difficult to find something in a thread of more than 2200 posts...

I want to jailbreak a PW2 with firmware 5.8.9.2. I have seen that this method does not work for this version, but... is there any way to downgrade this firmware to any other compatible with the jailbreak?

Thanks!
The top post is always current.
You only need to read the first post, not the entire thread.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #2250
JotaCe
JotaCe doesn't litterJotaCe doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The top post is always current.
You only need to read the first post, not the entire thread.
I did. And I saw that this method will not work form that firmware. I wondered if it would exist any workaround. I suspect that you answer means not.
JotaCe is offline   Reply With Quote