Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Michele L.M.
Still learning
Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 2G, iLiad 2 [no more]
Lightbulb Smart I/O

Dear all,

this is my first post in this forum thus I want to say hello to all of you.

I bought my Iliad in May at the "Fiera internazionale del libro" in Turin (where I live). After over two months of usage I can clearly state that I am a very happy user, far in excess of my expectations actually.

However, as we all know, our toy is not perfect (though perfectible) and thus I've spent a fair amount of time trolling around the forum () to squeeze the max out of the device.

Now I want to pay back my debt to the community. I believe I devised a novel and smart way to collect user input and perform an action based on that. The basic idea is to leverage the Description row(s) associated to the items in the Content Lister. Basically, you (developer) need to write a script which reads its manifest.xml to fetch the description and perform an action based on that. In order to insert her input, the user has to "rename" the item associated with the script (tag icon in the bottom area) changing only the description. As usual the user has to click on the item in order to start the application and get her input processed.

As a proof-of-concept of this idea I wrote a toy-calculator (only integer computations) named Arithmetico. You can watch it in action in the screenshots or give it a try.

As you can see in the screenshots, during my experiments I also wrote an application to display the current date and time. You may find it in the attachment area as well.

Please let me know your opinions about this approach. Is it actually a good idea or do you have already devised a better approach?

Ciao,
Michele
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arithmetico1.png
Views:	541
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	14761   Click image for larger version

Name:	arithmetico2.png
Views:	561
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	14762   Click image for larger version

Name:	arithmetico3.png
Views:	567
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	14763  
Attached Files
File Type: gz arithmetico.tar.gz (19.3 KB, 419 views)
File Type: gz date_and_time.tar.gz (2.0 KB, 388 views)
Michele L.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Indeed this approach works. I used it for a multi-directory search tool.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Michele L.M.
Still learning
Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Michele L.M. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 2G, iLiad 2 [no more]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
Indeed this approach works. I used it for a multi-directory search tool.
Hi Daudi,

thanks for pointing me to your prior art and sorry for claiming mine as novel. Nevertheless, I still believe that the topic deserves its own thread, otherwise this technique risks to be overlooked by people non interested in your app (as happened to me).

Michele
--
Michele L.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I agree. Your nice demo and screenshots help to make it clear how this can be used in this way.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote