Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-09-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
JohnnyParker
JohnnyParker began at the beginning.

Device: ipad 2, ibooks on macbook, android Galaxy S3
Images splitting over pages

Hi

I'm a newbie to epub compilation. I'm putting together an ebook of my uncle's ww2 diary. It has lots of old pictures that I want to incorporate, all different shapes and sizes.

I've had a trial run with Scrivener using straightforward image tags and have imported this epub file into Calibre.

Some of the images split over the page and some come out too small.

Is there a way to manage image sizes so that they stay on a page? I've heard svg may be the way to go but don't know how to incorporate it?

Cheers

Johnny
JohnnyParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
To try an svg image element to make the image fill the screen and self adjust its size (instead of just regular img tags) you could do something like...

Code:
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidyMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 343 500" width="100%">
<image height="500" width="343" xlink:href="../Images/image123.jpeg"></image>
</svg>
Be sure to replace the the width & height (in pixels) in both places with those of your image, and edit the image path to match yours.

Would love to know when you publish it, I love reading WWII history of all kinds.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
JohnnyParker

Thanks AnemicOak that works great.

Just need to have the photo legend stay with the image now! There is always something else.

Will let you have a copy when it's finished, it would be good to get some feedback.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
simply increase the size of the image in SVG to make room for the text and use SVG text for the photo legend.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 06-10-2014 at 01:09 AM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
To some degree, you are going to have to accept that the layout is not always going to be what you wish because the text size can be increased to where it will cause problems.

But very frequently, you can reach a happy medium where in most of the sizes you expect the book to be used it, it will look good.

If the small pictures are in fact really small and you can rescan the pictures again at a higher resolution, it will help when they are resized.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2014, 02:36 AM   #6
JohnnyParker

Thanks guys, will try that and report back.

Tags
images, pictures, svg images