Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Instructions for patching firmware 4.15.12920

This patch thread is for firmware 4.15.12920 (b231bfea368f4d641c17a337e80e9ee4219d55be).

Instructions for patching on Windows, Linux, or macOS with kobopatch:
  1. Download the firmware from here.
  2. Download and unzip kobopatch_4.15.12920.zip from here.
  3. Copy the original firmware you just downloaded into the kobopatch src folder.
  4. Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps.
  5. Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
  6. Run kobopatch.bat on Windows, or kobopatch.sh on Linux.
  7. If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of your device.
  8. Safely remove your device.

Download

See the kobopatch - An improved patching system thread for more details.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changes to the kobopatch zip:
v51 (2019-07-17): Updated kobopatch to v0.14.0 (geek1011).
v50 (2019-06-20): New "Set font scale factor" patch (GeoffR), improved automatic build scripts (geek1011).
v49 (2019-06-09): New "ePub uniform font scale" patch (GeoffR).
v48 (2019-05-29): Updated missing 24 line spacing values fixed/adjustable margins patches (GeoffR).
v47 (2019-05-28): Initial release for 4.15.12920, 2 new TOC indentation patches (geek1011).

Missing patches:
- Disable wishlist (causes really unusual side effects)

Patches for other files:
- None yet

Notes about this firmware version:
- Parental controls is now an official feature
- New indented TOC level feature (but it's buggy and hard to see, see the new patches to fix this).

New patches in this version:
- Increase TOC level indentation (@geek1011)
- Increase TOC level indentation and fix extra indentation bug (@geek1011)
- ePub uniform font scale (@GeoffR)

Last edited by geek1011; 07-17-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
New patches in this version:
- Increase TOC level indentation and fix extra indentation bug (@geek1011)
Hi, geek1011,

Thanks for your speedy work. I've done a test drive on the above new patch and it seems to work fine. There's always a BUT ... I would prefer an even bigger indent if that is possible - maybe multiply by 8 rather than 4? - if the indents are going to be space-characters. I'm assuming this is the patch line which would need to be customised but I don't have a clue what to change it to. Or is it not as simple as that?

Code:
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 2, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 82 00}  # shift level by 2 (multiply by 4) into r2
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I would prefer an even bigger indent if that is possible - maybe multiply by 8 rather than 4? - if the indents are going to be space-characters. I'm assuming this is the patch line which would need to be customised but I don't have a clue what to change it to. Or is it not as simple as that?
You can multiply it by any power of 2. You'd want to replace that replacement with a LSL instruction like: LSL r2, r0, #x , where x is the power of 2 (2^x) to multiply it by. To make it multiply by 8, you'd want 3 to be the power, which gives you C2 00. You can compile the instruction online using http://armconverter.com/, and taking the Thumb Hex output.

Last edited by geek1011; 05-29-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:54 AM   #5
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
C2 00
It's too much, IMHO. It is better to leave your original version.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
It's too much, IMHO. It is better to leave your original version.
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting geek1011 changes the patch. I just wanted to know whether a personal customisation was possible.

@geek1011,
I didn't understand all the technicalities of your reply, but I got the gist, so thanks very much. I'll give it a try when I have a bit more time later today.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #7
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting geek1011 changes the patch. I just wanted to know whether a personal customisation was possible.
I understood it, of course.

Just tried both options and concluded that C2 00 too much, ugly. But this is of course individual.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

For anyone trying to decide whether to enable the new TOC patch 'Increase TOC level indentation and fix extra indentation bug'. Here are some screencaps for comparison purposes.
  • left: patch disabled (indent = 2, top level indented)
  • middle: patch enabled (indent = 2-squared, top level not indented)
  • right: customised patch enabled (indent = 2-cubed, top level not indented)

ETA: I should have mentioned that these screencaps are from a Forma. Bigger indents on a 6" screen might not be ideal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toc1_without.png
Views:	1104
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	171698   Click image for larger version

Name:	toc2_with.png
Views:	898
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	171699   Click image for larger version

Name:	toc3_with_extra.png
Views:	942
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	171700  

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-29-2019 at 09:45 AM. Reason: ETA update
Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Thank you for PATCH ! Excellent work!
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
I would prefer an even bigger indent if that is possible - maybe multiply by 8 rather than 4? - if the indents are going to be space-characters. I'm assuming this is the patch line which would need to be customised but I don't have a clue what to change it to. Or is it not as simple as that?
Maybe this would work? The replacement value can be any number 0-255.
Code:
Increase TOC level indentation:
  - Enabled: yes
  - PatchGroup: TOC Indentation
  - Description: |
      The space indented Table of Contents levels are quite hard to see, as the
      difference is almost too small to easily notice.
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x8B2FD6, FindH: 42 00 4F F0 20 01, ReplaceH: 02 22 42 43 20 21}
  # Replacement value:
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 0x8B2FD6, Find: 2, Replace: 6}
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Code:
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x8B2FD6, FindH: 42 00 4F F0 20 01, ReplaceH: 02 22 42 43 20 21}
  # Replacement value:
That should work, but then I wouldn't be able to fit the bugfix in there too.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Code:
  # Replacement value:
I really like the customisability (is that a word?) of this, but I do like geek1011's fix to have top-level items not indented (which seems like a bug to me, but calling it that seems to have created a bit of tension earlier today).

Having both would be great, if it was possible.

ETA: I see geek1011 got in first.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-29-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 05-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Fat fingers, please ignore

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-29-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
That should work, but then I wouldn't be able to fit the bugfix in there too.
I think this would work, but have not tested. it uses the fact that r7 = sp+8 which might change in the future.
Spoiler:
Code:
Increase TOC level indentation and fix extra indentation bug:
      difference is almost too small to easily notice. In addition, this fixes
      the bug where all TOC entries are indented by 1 level extra.
  - BaseAddress: 0x8B2FD2
  # Clear out existing instructions with NOPs
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0, FindH: 07 F1 0C 0B, ReplaceH: 00 20 00 20} # put string address in fp
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 4, FindH: 42 00, ReplaceH: 00 20}             # shift level by 1 (multiply by 2) into r2
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 6, FindH: 4F F0 20 01, ReplaceH: 00 20 00 20} # set r1 to 0x20 (space char)
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 10, FindH: 58 46, ReplaceH: 00 20}            # put fp in r0
  # Put new instructions
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 40 1E}             # decrease level by 1
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 2, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 02 22}             # load multiplier into r2
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 4, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 42 43}             # multiply level, result into r2
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 6, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 20 21}             # set r1 to 0x20 (space char) 
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 8, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 05 A8}             # put string address (sp+20==r7+12) into r0
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 10, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 83 46}            # save r0 into fp
  # Replacement value (multiplier):
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 2, Find: 2, Replace: 6}
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #15
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
I think this would work, but have not tested. it uses the fact that r7 = sp+8 which might change in the future.
Spoiler:
Code:
Increase TOC level indentation and fix extra indentation bug:
      difference is almost too small to easily notice. In addition, this fixes
      the bug where all TOC entries are indented by 1 level extra.
  - BaseAddress: 0x8B2FD2
  # Clear out existing instructions with NOPs
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0, FindH: 07 F1 0C 0B, ReplaceH: 00 20 00 20} # put string address in fp
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 4, FindH: 42 00, ReplaceH: 00 20}             # shift level by 1 (multiply by 2) into r2
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 6, FindH: 4F F0 20 01, ReplaceH: 00 20 00 20} # set r1 to 0x20 (space char)
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 10, FindH: 58 46, ReplaceH: 00 20}            # put fp in r0
  # Put new instructions
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 40 1E}             # decrease level by 1
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 2, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 02 22}             # load multiplier into r2
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 4, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 42 43}             # multiply level, result into r2
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 6, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 20 21}             # set r1 to 0x20 (space char) 
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 8, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 05 A8}             # put string address (sp+20==r7+12) into r0
  - ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 10, FindH: 00 20, ReplaceH: 83 46}            # save r0 into fp
  # Replacement value (multiplier):
  - ReplaceInt: {Offset: 2, Find: 2, Replace: 6}
I think it should work. That's a really clever way of doing things. I didn't think to look for ways to make the offset calculation shorter, and I didn't know MOV could be made into a 16-bit instruction by using SP. I'll try it later tonight.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching